The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 13, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
billtheshrink

steel cases

With the shortage, what are the thoughts on steel case ammo for AR-15? I have never wanted to use it, and of course the mfg will say its fine. What do you all think? It seems the only available product for less than a buck a round!
Old February 13, 2013, 10:55 AM   #2
The Great Mahoo

I just bought 200 rounds of the stuff at the last local gunshow, since its all that's available. I have no qualms about running it through an AR of decent repute. What make is your AR?
Old February 13, 2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Sweet Shooter

Do you mean "jacket" or "case". I assume you're referring to "bi-metal" ammo—the copper washed, steel "jacket" stuff is fine in a chrome lined barrel/chamber. Except for "cleaning issues" I do not believe it will cause any additional wear on a regular molly barrel either—if cleaned right. If you're referring to steel "case" I know that some say it's hard on extractors, but I haven't seen it. I do see a lot more smoke/carbon down the neck/shoulder of a fired steel case (than brass cases) and subsequently in the chamber... again requiring more cleaning. Bi-metal— the steel jacket under the copper wash is very soft, I've experimented by cutting them up with pliers annealing them etc. Given that the steel part is not self lubricating in the same way a regular copper jacket is, it might be a good idea to allow the copper to build up in the bore... just a thought.

-SS-
Old February 13, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
spacecoast

It runs through my AK just fine!
Old February 13, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Come and take it.

Runs through a mini just fine too. On AR15s they are hit or miss. Some ARs can eat em up without a hiccup. Others get stuck cases.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
L_Killkenny

I'd rather go without than feed any gun of mine a steady diet of it.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:23 AM   #7
chris in va

It's been shown to degrade a barrel's accuracy after 5000 rounds.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

How does steel case ammo degrade the barrel?
Old February 14, 2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Venom1956

Quote:
How does steel case ammo degrade the barrel?
technically its not the steel case as they are usually coated (zinc, poly, or lacquer) to prevent extra wear on the chamber. but the bi-metal bullet can increase wear on a barrel due to the fact it has steel mixed in with the copper, thus making the jacket harder then a normal copper jacketed round. Harder metal causes more friction on the barrel which equals more wear and more heat... at least that's how I understand it.

But I have noticed the lacquered cases tend to get stuck in ARs after the barrels heat up lacquer gets soft then hardens it can take some really muscle to get them unstuck.

Personally If your looking to shoot on the cheap its a non issue. The amount of ammo you'd need to buy and fire is FAR over the cost of the rifle and you can always re barrel a gun.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 16, 2013, 09:21 AM   #10
HankC1

Extract fine if chromelined chamber and polymer coated case.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Skans

I have no problem shooting Wolf steel cased ammo in an AR. I use it in my AC556 when running it full-auto. Just keep a can of spray cleaner because the stuff is a little dirtier than better quality ammo.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Pharm

I've also shot the steel cased Wolf with zero problems.