The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 5, 2019, 07:17 AM   #26
Carmady

Do you guys cock those with one hand?

I've never held one, but it looks like it would be awkward.
Old November 5, 2019, 09:07 AM   #27
DMK

I use my support hand thumb.
Old November 5, 2019, 09:47 AM   #28
Don P

Personally, I would have opted for a derringer. That's just me
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 5, 2019, 04:38 PM   #29
TailGator

Dang it, every time I tamp down my urge for one of those, y'all bring them back up and post pretty pictures. I know I don't need one, but there is just something sharp about 'em.
Old November 5, 2019, 05:05 PM   #30
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
Do you guys cock those with one hand?

I've never held one, but it looks like it would be awkward.
I only shot mine one-handed, and thats how I cock it. Its pretty quick and natural.

One thing that I find is a big help with them, is the Houge slip-on grip they offer. My PUG, which was my first, came with one, and Ive since replaced what came on the other two with them. You get a good, "one finger" hold with it, that puts the gun in just the right spot in your palm for shooting and cocking it.
Its only slightly larger than the wood or other panels, and much easier to get and keep a hold of.

As much as I resisted getting one of these in the past, I now agree with Bill and for the same reason, "just because", and you really should get one, if not only just to have it. They really are a quality little gun.

While I have been slipping one in my pocket in a Desantis pocket holster, behind and off to the side of my wallet, I have no illusions as to what they really are, and still consider them a third line, last-ditch, "close contact" gun.

I cant imagine this actually being someones choice for a primary gun though.
Old November 5, 2019, 06:07 PM   #31
22-rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
.....I cant imagine this actually being someones choice for a primary gun though.
Primary.... if you usually carry no gun, it is not a bad option. People on the gun forums are obsessed with handgun carry for self defense. I am looking at one of the NAA's as another option as I have a couple other carry guns that are practical.
Old November 6, 2019, 10:28 AM   #32
GaryED50

I think of it mostly as a fun range toy and maybe a If no other option is available a carry gun.

Gary
Old November 6, 2019, 01:54 PM   #33
Schlitz 45

I tried several different grips on my 22mag 1 5/8" barrel NAA & the only one that consistently allowed me to get a decent group was the folding pocket holster in this photo. I like to use a two handed hold cocking with my left thumb & shooting with my right index finger-very easy to empty 5 shots quickly & on target. They have their place.
Old November 6, 2019, 02:37 PM   #34
corneileous

Just put a NAA 22 Revolver on layway

I got the 22-mag Pug. Came with a laser grip but found that the grip it came with was just too small and made it too hard to hold onto so I went to NAA’s website and got the longer wooden grips that make it look like a miniature SW Model 29....lol. I can shoot it much better this way. I was carrying it as primary pocket carry for awhile in the DeSantis pocket holster it came with but since it’s just too complicated to reload, I don’t carry it much anymore. I’ve thought about seeing if anyone makes an ankle holster for it to use as a backup pistol. Hell, I could just carry it in the thigh pocket of my cargo pants as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by corneileous; November 6, 2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old November 6, 2019, 02:38 PM   #35
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds-10-speed View Post
Even if you don't like to carry them for self defense they are still fun to own and shoot.

Dang, I like that!!! But where did you get the speed loader? My little Pug is a pain in the arse enough just because you have to literally remove the cylinder from the frame but a speed loader would sure cut unloading in half.

Old November 6, 2019, 03:56 PM   #36
Armybrat

Somebody needs to resize their picture.
Old November 6, 2019, 04:02 PM   #37
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Somebody needs to resize their picture.

I’m assuming you’re talking to me? It came up just fine on Tapatalk but yeah, I just saw on the web version that it’s enormous....lol.

Old November 6, 2019, 04:13 PM   #38
ThomasT

I would rather have that top break 22 mag than any derringer. Thats a nice gun. I really need to get one just to have one.

Many years ago in Granbury Tx not far from me an old man sitting in his recliner was the victim of a home invasion by a couple of teenage punk kids who thought he would be easy to rob. What they didn't count on was that he had one of these in his pocket when they kicked in his door.

He shot one of them 3 times and the other one twice. Both lived but both left his property in the back of an ambulance. He stated he "would have shot them more if he had of had more bullets". You go gramps.
Old November 6, 2019, 05:29 PM   #39
AK103K

One of my guns came with the holster grip. As goofy as they look, they do feel good in the hand. Kind of defeats the purpose of a "little gun" though.

One of my other guns came with the cowboy SAA type grip, and a cylinder with some sort of scroll engraving on it, as well as a plain cylinder and a pair of pearlite type grips. Same thing, the bigger grips kind of defeats the purpose, or at least for me.

I put the plain cylinder in the gun and the grips and other cylinder are going up on eBay with the holster grip and some other stuff I got with other guns Ive picked up over the past year.

I guess theres a big collector market for these guns, especially considering some of their other offerings and the questionable usefulness of some of them.

Im thinking the smaller 22mag versions are the most realistic "sweet spot" for them.

I havent bought one of the belt buckles yet, but dont think I didnt look at them.

Yea, I am from "that era", and did have the Matty Mattel derringer version that went along with my "greenie stick'm cap" six-shooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
He stated he "would have shot them more if he had of had more bullets". You go gramps.
And thats why I carry a Glock 17 as a primary gun.

If Im carrying one of the NAA's, and get to the point I need it, Im not doing too well.
Old November 6, 2019, 06:44 PM   #40
ds-10-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
Dang, I like that!!! But where did you get the speed loader? My little Pug is a pain in the arse enough just because you have to literally remove the cylinder from the frame but a speed loader would sure cut unloading in half.

Speed loader here.
Old November 6, 2019, 08:11 PM   #41
youngridge

I have the side winder combo cylinder, great little gun, fun to shoot, carry it every day with 22 mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 11, 2019, 10:54 PM   #42
wmg1299

My sons got me a rosewood grip model in .22 lr for Father's Day a few years back. I've been very impressed with the build quality. The thing is a blast to plink with. It took some practice to get consistent accuracy, but ammo is cheap and we all actually found the challenge to be part of the fun. It is going to mainly be an heirloom gun with sentimental value for me, but I'm sure it could be pressed into use for self-defense if needed. Any gun beats no gun every day of the week.
Old November 13, 2019, 05:09 PM   #43
Obambulate

The NAA in .22mag is primary carry for myself and my wife. She has had to deploy hers and it proved quite effective.
Old November 13, 2019, 05:41 PM   #44
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obambulate View Post
The NAA in .22mag is primary carry for myself and my wife. She has had to deploy hers and it proved quite effective.

Did she actually have to short someone with it? How’d that work out? I’ve had a lot of people on another forum I sometimes go to that pretty much made it sound like you’d just be better off with hand to hand combat instead of with one of these little Pug 22-mags.

I realize it’s not something I’d wanna use to take down an active shooter with but by nelly, if someone was within arms reach of me, I sure as hell wouldn’t wanna get shot by it. It maybe losing about a third of its velocity because the barrel on mine anyways is only an inch long but when I first got this little pistol, from about 5 feet away, I buried a regular target round just a little over halfway into a non-rotted 4x4 pressure-treated post.

It may not be the ideal primary self-defense pistol because it’s limited to five rounds and it takes forever to reload but I would bet it would stop someone.

Old November 16, 2019, 03:47 AM   #45
CDR_Glock

These are my carry guns. Top one is for the winter /spring and the bottom one for the fall and summer.

As much as I like my Bond Arms 357 Magnum 2 Round Derringer, it’s just that, 2 rounds. It’s single action only. It’s fun to shoot. Better than a stick. Trigger is about 8 lbs. however, it’s almost as big as my Sig Sauer P365 and S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot. Max recommended distance is 7 yards. It’s super fun to shoot. You can actually aim for the top barrel. It’s a bit lower when it is coming out of the bottom barrel. I used 38 Special,38 +P and 357 Magnum. The weight is about 21 ounces, and it has a decent sized grip.

I have two North American Arms revolvers, both in 22 WMR/Magnum. One is a sidewinder and the other is the usual barrel removable type.

The sidewinder is tough to remove the empties because they expand.

I use the cylinder pin to remove the empties from the other.

I don’t bother aiming when I shoot these. I pretty much point shoot them out to 7 yards. It’s doable out to 10 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 23, 2019, 09:03 PM   #46
GaryED50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryED50 View Post
Won't be able to pick it up till Dec 20 but its worth waiting for!
Reading the manual for my NAA 22LR and found this weird warning

WARNING: Do not use any PMC 22 caliber ammunition (Magnum and/or Long Rifle) inany model of NAA revolvers which may cause a double-discharge (two roundssimultaneously discharging, one aligned in the barrel and the other out of the battery-cylinder)

I never heard of a modern cartridge causing a chain fire

Gary
Old November 23, 2019, 10:32 PM   #47
MR.G

I have owned a few NAA mini revolvers over the years, and currently still have four. I find them fun to shoot, and accurate out to a fair distance with practice. Have fired many thousands of rounds through some of them. One, a 22lr, at least five thousand rounds and it is still as tight as new. That one has been cleaned and polished so much that it looks like a nickle finish. I understand that there has been a problem with mainspring breakage, and for that reason have discontinued using one for self defense carry.
Old November 23, 2019, 10:56 PM   #48
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I bought one of those a few years back. It's a cool little gun. Well designed and well made.

Very difficult to shoot with any accuracy though. I won't carry it, but I like it. It's definitely a unique little gun.

The trigger is meh! It’s best to lubricate it to make it smoother.

I hold it so the barrel is in line with my index finger... then I point it like I would my finger. I don’t bother aiming since it doesn’t seem to work for me, either.

However, I have been able to connect with a body shot at 10 yards. A head shot at 7 yards. It’s more accurate if You do it like that.

I have put at least a thousand rounds through my first one, and about 700 rounds through my 2.5” sidewinder. The longer barrel is definitely more accurate.

Old November 23, 2019, 11:22 PM   #49
GaryED50

I've been curious for a while is the "357 8X" an N frame or L?

Gary
Old November 23, 2019, 11:32 PM   #50
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryED50 View Post
I've been curious for a while is the "357 8X" an N frame or L?

Gary

It is an N Frame.