The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2011, 07:27 PM   #26
Wuchak

I really don't get all the negatives on the triggers on these. They are not that bad at all. The trigger on my Sigma is miles better than the trigger on the CZ Rami poly I had. The Rami was DA/SA so when you fired in SA (every shot after the first) the entire first 1/2 mile of the pull was just take up with no resistance. Then after the break there was a 1/4 mile of overtravel. It's the only handgun I've ever fired that gave me a massive blood blister on my trigger finger. It went down the highway quick. If you have fired a jframe revolver you have a pretty good idea of how the Sigma trigger feels. At their price point they are a true bargain for a nice gun.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:21 PM   #27
BigPoppa

I purchased my SW40VE about 2 years ago and It is a great gun for the price point. It is totally reliable and the somewhat stiff trigger doesn't bother me. I have a Pachmayr grip glove as the pic in the post from "El Fumador" and it makes the weapon very comfortable in the hand and I can keep all of my shots(fairly rapid fire) in a 4 inch circle @ 10 yds. I would definitely recommend purchasing either caliber.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:28 PM   #28
ryan huddleston

I love mine in 9mm. Iv had mine since around 2006 and I have shot it quite bit. I never had 1 failure and the trigger does get a little better after lots of dry firing. I think the mag release and slide release are the most ergonomic of any pistol I have ever shot. I really dont know why this pistol gets such a bad rep.
Old February 18, 2011, 12:45 AM   #29
GLDNDomer

A relative of mine has a sigma 9ve and I shot the first couple magazines through it. It shot pretty well for me, but my relative, who was new to firearms, DID complain about the trigger pull. So maybe not the best gun for a beginner. Then again, beginners may be the ones going into a store, buying the cheapest new ones they see, and that's why so many SW9VEs can be found used in practically new condition.

A weird note: I have never bought a new handgun. After shooting my relative's sigma with a second full magazine, the slide stop did not engage after the last round had been fired. I'm not really sure if anyone else has had this problem, but it seems to me that a brand new firearm really shouldn't do this. It might have been the ammunition I was using? (Speer Lawman 9mm)
Old February 18, 2011, 07:01 AM   #30
CajunBass

Quote:
They work well enough.....as they should since they copied the Glock.
But really, why have a rip-off when you can have the real thing?
Get a Glock.

Or, if you want an American made S&W pistol, get an M&P.

Why get a copy? I paid twice as much for a Glock 19 for my wife, as I did for a Sigma for myself. The Glock has a better trigger but that is the ONLY thing I'll say is better. Everything else is a tie as far as I'm concerned.

The better trigger just isn't worth twice as much money.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 3, 2011, 10:38 PM   #31
sweatequity4-u

The Deal of the century for only $300.00 plus 2 extra mag's or $50.00 rebate from S&W. You cant go wrong for that amount anywhere plus its worth $450.00 IMHO. Polish the trigger group contacting points and the sear and its smooth as butter.
Old March 3, 2011, 10:59 PM   #32
38superhero

I have the SW9V not a single failure and i got good with it...Good Buy
Old March 4, 2011, 10:46 AM   #33
stegar1

i have the sw40ve , love it hits where i aim it and has never had a hiccup.

Semper Fi
Old March 4, 2011, 11:21 AM   #34
chriskm1968

I agree the triggers are heavy, but if you can do the .50 cent trigger job, you will love it! I do these quite alot, they turn out really sweet. It's not a hair trigger but it's about halve of the factory weight.

Last edited by chriskm1968; March 4, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old March 22, 2011, 09:48 PM   #35
kinggabby

I am on my second SW9VE first one I traded it and $200 cash for a van ( needed transportation ) Bad trade in the short run. Paid $350 + tax in North Dakota. Just got the second one a couple of weeks ago ( still have not shot it ) for $299.99 + Tax neither one did I luck out with a rebate or free mags ( Sucks ) . I know I will have to get used to the trigger pull ( did not get a chance last time ) . But a range officer shot it and told me where he was going to place the bullets and he was dead on. I know they shoot dead on. That's why I decided on it again, plus price was right. My .02 worth

Kinggabby
Old March 23, 2011, 10:45 AM   #36
Father Time

Some "high dollar" guns are not only "better" than "reasonably priced" guns they are much better. By leaps and bounds.

For example I'll put my Springfield Trophy Match up against any other production (non custom) pistol in the market. Don't act like that Taurus 1911 you saw at the gunshop last week is even close to the Trophy Match in terms of quality. (untill you have fired them side by side like I have you may never know the "real" diffrence)

Even with the same company there is a diffrence. The Mil Spec or GI models from Springfield are not the same in terms of quality as the Trophy Match/TRP models. This dosen't mean that the Mil Spec is a bad gun but acting like the two are the same in quality is just plain wrong.

There is a diffrence between guns that are put together on an assembly line and guns that are fit by hand. (the trophy match being the latter)
Old March 23, 2011, 10:49 AM   #37
Leejack

The sigma just keeps getting better and smoother with every shot! No failures whatsoever!
Old March 23, 2011, 11:53 AM   #38
Miata Mike

I have both SW40VE/SW9VE and wouldn't have it any other way.

I found my SW40VE trigger to be nicer than the 9mm out of the box, but the 9mm is much better on the recoil. Very fun and reliable guns for the money......just ask Leejack.
Old March 23, 2011, 12:40 PM   #39
ET.

I own a Sigma 40ve. I've had it for 3 years now. It is 100% reliable. The 12lbs trigger pull is what causes the hate threads. If the shooter has sound shooting fundamentals then the trigger will be no problem. If, on the other hand, the shooter has flaws in his/her technique then the heavy trigger pull with cause havoc with their accuracy. I had some flaws that I needed to fix, but once I did I could shoot my Sigma very accurately.

The Sigma is designed for self defense. The heavy trigger pull is part of the safety features on the gun. It makes it harder to get unintended shots while handling a gun with a heavy trigger. A 3 lbs trigger on a self defense gun is a problem when a novice is handling the gun.
Old March 23, 2011, 01:15 PM   #40
Sarge

I like my 40VE well enough that I am hunting a suitable duty holster for it. It has run flawlessly with everything I've thrown at it and it simply points and handles much better, for me, that the G22 I normally carry.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:00 PM   #41
kinggabby

If the shooter has sound shooting fundamentals then the trigger will be no problem. If, on the other hand, the shooter has flaws in his/her technique then the heavy trigger pull with cause havoc with their accuracy. I had some flaws that I needed to fix, but once I did I could shoot my Sigma very accurately.

How did you fix your flaw? I guess I should ask what your flaw was to begin with.
Old March 24, 2011, 11:08 PM   #42
ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinggabby:
How did you fix your flaw? I guess I should ask what your flaw was to begin with.
I wasn't pulling straight back on the trigger. It was jerking the gun to the left. I also had to re-position my finger so that the trigger contacted the area closer to the first joint. On lighter triggers I slide the trigger half way between the joint & the tip. It took practice and some supervision from a shooter who knew what he was doing. I also wasn't breathing correctly but that wasn't gun related.
Old March 25, 2011, 08:10 PM   #43
tomwalshco

I'm a Kahr guy, but shot my brother's Sigma 40 yesterday. Brand new gun, no issues whatsoever, HPs fine. Trigger wasn't uncomfortable at all. Better than triggers on any Kel-Tec I've owned (3). Kel-Tec P11 makes the Sigma feel like a 1911.

When I took it apart was surprised to see how Glock-like it was. 14 rounds in a gun that size is a big bonus too. Better feel than a G23 for me.
Old March 26, 2011, 09:44 AM   #44
bossman

If you reload the best thing is you don't have to buy a different barrel to shoot lead. To me that's the biggest improvement over the Glock.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 26, 2011, 10:07 AM   #45
kraigwy

Quote:
If you reload the best thing is you don't have to buy a different barrel to shoot lead. To me that's the biggest improvement over the Glock.
That's a big plus for me, I wont have a pistol/revolver I can't shoot lead bullets out of.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 1, 2011, 08:27 PM   #46
littleman

I traded a 38 snub Taurus for a new SW40VE on the first of March.I wanted a hi cap 40 for home defense, and money was(is) tight, so I got the S&W. I put Militech1 in the striker area (one drop) and dry fired it quite a bit.S&W told me that dry firing would not hurt the gun. I only live fired it 30 times.No mfunctions, accurate, trigger was better---- it's a keeper. Then, I dry fired it one night, and the striker tip broke off! Dealer sent it back to S&W; he's a certified S&W armorer, but S&W will not sell the striker. It's a factory repair ONLY. I really liked that gun, but I don't know if I will trust it now.
Old April 2, 2011, 09:58 PM   #47
Northrider

I too have a 40VE and it sits now in the safe because of the long trigger pull. But I have learned a lot from the previous posts and will use my AZOOM practice rounds and dry fire it a lot and see how that works out since I can't get to the range for a while. Thanks for the tips guys.

Remember, the end with the hole gets pointed away from you.
Old April 2, 2011, 11:15 PM   #48
CLC

I must be the only one because my sigma 40C is a piece of crap. For me it isn't the trigger pull but the FTF and FTE's. I don't know what the problem is but after I got my cz 40b I haven't touched it. Am I missing something because I havent seen anyone mention this model yet. I will be going with glock but the sigma does have a better grip. It might just be my first negative experience that ruined it for me. I personally wouldn't buy another.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:32 AM   #49
BerettaBuckeye

I liked the one I owned for a while and the trigger didn't bother me. I ended up selling it off just because it was redundant in my safe but I did carry it a few times and that's my highest endorsement. I think I saw them locally for like $260 which is crazy cheap for a pretty good gun
- Jeff Cooper
Old April 3, 2011, 09:56 AM   #50
roaddog28

I have a 40VE I bought used for $250. The gun was barely used. I have put at least 300 rounds through it with not one jam. Its accurate enough for self defense. It breaks down just like a Glock. Its a true double action only semi-auto unlike the Glock with its "safe trigger design". Its safer for a beginning shooter than a Glock. If a person practices which everyone should a person will learn trigger control. The trigger pull will be about 9 lbs but once the shooter gets used to it they will be fine. For me the trigger was not a problem. But I shoot double action revolvers and I am used to 10 lb triggers.

Bottom line. A good beginner semi-auto that is reliable, easy to care for and is made in America. Whats not to like?

Regards,
Howard

Tags
9mm , ccw , handguns semiauto , pistols , s&w