The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 3, 2021, 09:48 AM   #26
ghbucky

One of the previous comments in this thread lead me to look up and purchase a MantisX Shooting Performance System (x3 model).

Thanks for the tip, random internet person, because I really like the system. It is providing very valuable feedback and the structured drills are great.
Old May 10, 2021, 04:35 PM   #27
Mannlicher

I can't imagine any circumstances that would prevent me from at least a minimum of practice for a year.
The only concessions I have made for the exigencies of this past year were to move my shooting out to my son's property when the range was closed, and to shoot my carry weapons instead of exercising the entire remuda.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 10, 2021, 04:44 PM   #28
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannlicher View Post
I can't imagine any circumstances that would prevent me from at least a minimum of practice for a year.
The only concessions I have made for the exigencies of this past year were to move my shooting out to my son's property when the range was closed, and to shoot my carry weapons instead of exercising the entire remuda.
And what exactly is a minimum? A minimum for myself before the riots was 200 rds per session, minimum twice a week. And thing less was a waste of time and energy. Now a minimum for me is at least 200 Pellets 4 times a week. And I have proven at least for myself that my skills actually improve shooting the air Pistols.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 10, 2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old May 10, 2021, 05:07 PM   #29
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
And what exactly is a minimum? A minimum for myself before the riots was 200 rds per session, minimum twice a week. And thing less was a waste of time and energy. Not a minimum for me is at least 200 Pellets 4 times a week. And I have proven at least for myself that my skills actually improve shooting the air Pistols.
Carl, do you stop going to the range if you can't shoot 200 rounds twice weekly and only shoot airguns now?

Old May 10, 2021, 05:25 PM   #30
Carl the Floor Walker

I do not go to the range now for center fire guns I do go for shotguns, Black Powder, and Air Rifles. Occasionally 22.cal.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 10, 2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 10, 2021, 06:59 PM   #31
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
I do not go to the range now for center fire guns I do go for shotguns, Black Powder, and Air Rifles. Occasionally 22.cal.
Gotcha. I slacked off range time for about six weeks while my Holosun optic went in for warranty replacement. Other than occasional .22 and 12gauge work, and no dryfire practice I didn't do much and it showed. Once I returned in earnest I realized how quickly my skills got rusty.

I'm finding 25-50 rounds/a week to be adequate, coupled with dry fire several times a week keeps me close to where I want to be.

Old May 10, 2021, 07:09 PM   #32
Carl the Floor Walker

12 is one of those firearms where, (at least for me) I do not have to shoot a lot of shells to get satisfaction. I enjoy shooting Buckshot and pattering different loads and distances. We can only use Buckshot for deer where I live and have been shooting them since a kid. Just a quirky fun pastime.