The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 28, 2021, 09:11 PM   #76
TunnelRat

That could be. Whether that's a function of homes being more of a target than cars or that most people that own firearms tend to leave them at home, I'm not sure.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 21, 2021, 03:17 PM   #77
FireForged

Quote:
My guess is the rate of thefts from automobiles exceeds the rate of people using firearms for self defense. It may well not be overly likely that your car will be broken into, but the same is likely even more true about needing a firearm to defend yourself. If it seems reasonable to prepare for the latter, it seems odd to dismiss the former (again, at least to me).
Quote:
It's nothing short of negligent behavior.
There is a difference between saying that it may be reasonable to prepare and saying that its irresponsible, reckless or negligent not to.

If a person wants to call it negligent, ok.. but by what definition? Conscious risk creation?, inattentive risk creation? conscious disregard of risk or what?

If I lock my firearm inside of my own vehicle and stow it out of sight, how am I negligent simply because some wanna-be felon "might" break into my car and steal the weapon? Heck, they might kick in my back door and steal the weapon from my home. If this is irresponsible or negligent behavior then why are so many people in so many places permitted by law to carry a weapon secreted in their vehicle.
Old March 21, 2021, 07:29 PM   #78
TunnelRat

Protection From Theft/Ambush While At The Range

One of those quotes is from me and one of them isn’t. I’m not sure if that is supposed to be the case, but as structured currently it can read as if you’re attributing both to one person. To clarify, I did not say the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 21, 2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old March 22, 2021, 08:31 AM   #79
Don P

Quote:
Gun ranges check people in and out.
I'm a member of a private range and also a RSO at the range. RSO's are on duty while the range is open, usually 3 RSO's on duty being we have 36 action shooting bays, rifle range and a long distance rifle range-1,100 yards. 2 roaming on golf carts and 1 handling sign in. We do not check people out, just in.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 22, 2021, 10:19 AM   #80
Aguila Blanca
Staff

At the private outdoor range where I am a member, sign-in and sign-out is digital, by scanning your membership card in a card reader.
Jeepaholic
Old March 28, 2021, 06:29 AM   #81
Rob228

If I'm at a range that doesn't have RSOs I take the bolt(s) of the rifle(s) I am shooting downrange with me when I check targets.
Old March 28, 2021, 05:25 PM   #82
FireForged

You leave a rifle on a table surrounded by a bunch of strangers and walk off 100+ yards to change a target ?
Old March 28, 2021, 07:36 PM   #83
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
This isn't a topic I've ever seen here possibly because it's a rare occurrence but several years ago a member of THR was murdered and had his guns stolen while shooting alone at a State owned range.

I've only ever had one instance that really made the hair on my neck stand up. I was shooting a rifle at a private range when two guys started questioning me about how I liked the gun and was I interested in selling it. They may not have had any malicious intent but the whole thing just felt skeezy to me so I packed up and left. I assumed they were members because they were there but I never found out and I never saw them again

I still shoot at that range. It's a private club and to my knowledge it's fenced in. I usually get a berm to myself but I'm never the only person on the range.

My biggest concern has always been someone grabbing a gun out of my bag while I'm down range but I've recently decided to take one gun to the range with me to shoot at at time so I'll just have it in the holster loaded while I'm down range. I'm also thinking about taking my Ruger LC9 and keeping it in my pocket as a back up.

What security measures do the cognoscenti take while shooting alone?
I do a similar thing. I have the pistol I'm shooting in a shoulder holster when downrange, the magazine in my pocket loaded with standard carry ammunition. I have a smaller backup in concealed carry. In the trunk of my car is an M4.
Old March 28, 2021, 11:24 PM   #84
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet
I do a similar thing. I have the pistol I'm shooting in a shoulder holster when downrange, the magazine in my pocket loaded with standard carry ammunition. I have a smaller backup in concealed carry. In the trunk of my car is an M4.
I don't claim to know the rules of every range in my state, but those I have shot at ALL require that when there's a cease fire to allow people to go down range, all firearms SHALL (that's mandatory language) be placed on the bench, with the muzzle pointed down-range, the magazine removed, the chamber open, and the safety engaged. Nobody goes down-range until the RSO(s) have verified that every shooter has complied with this requirement.
Jeepaholic
Old March 29, 2021, 12:24 AM   #85
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I don't claim to know the rules of every range in my state, but those I have shot at ALL require that when there's a cease fire to allow people to go down range, all firearms SHALL (that's mandatory language) be placed on the bench, with the muzzle pointed down-range, the magazine removed, the chamber open, and the safety engaged. Nobody goes down-range until the RSO(s) have verified that every shooter has complied with this requirement.
I guess this range doesn't require adult supervision.
Old March 29, 2021, 09:21 AM   #86
Rob228

Quote:
You leave a rifle on a table surrounded by a bunch of strangers and walk off 100+ yards to change a target ?
Yes
Old March 29, 2021, 12:56 PM   #87
Blue Jays

I have never visited a range solo. Always with a friend.
Mostly for fun camaraderie yet an extra set of eyes helps.
Old March 31, 2021, 10:00 AM   #88
Reloadron

Re post #5 this is likely the referenced thread. I know of no thread over there making any reference to a member being murdered at a range or otherwise. I would be curious as to a link of the incident.

The latter more addresses people out shooting in the desert.

Here in Ohio I shoot at a private members only range which is pretty well monitored. I have no reservation with leaving gear on the bench during a ceasefire for target changes. If I did I would be looking for another range to shoot at. I shoot to relax and enjoy and somehow keeping a constant vigil of my back seems to deter from why I am there in the first place. While I agree with situational awareness I also try not to place myself in certain situations.

I remember one day after rifle I wandered down to the short range for some handgun. Wow, I was now the owner of a Sig P220 and a nice stapler. Took them over to the range office and a day later got a thank you from a member. No reward necessary but it got me making sure I never leave anything behind.

Ron
Old April 1, 2021, 09:46 AM   #89
Adventurer 2

A long time ago when i was young and dumb - was shooting at the now closed off Rampart Range shooting range (near Garden of the Gods, CO). 2 sketchy peeps several spots over and nobody else at the range. They were trying to get a semi-auto 22LR to work. Really didn't pay much attention was sighting in my 270 for upcoming mule deer season. Didn't own a spotting scope. Started walking downrange to check my target (their 22 rifle was in pieces). Looked back and one of them was at my spot. Headed back yelling at the guy to back off from my spot. He didn't. He picked up my rifle. Now i'm a pissed off infantry soldier. Drew my concealed Glock 26, while running up on him and his friend. His friend is freaking out. The guy with my rifle, calm as can be "What's your problem, i'm just checking out your rifle." Words exchanged. Have them back away. Grab my stuff and leave. After that, i've never shot alone at outdoor ranges when just one other person(or group) is around. Don't care how far i've driven -- it's a pass for another day.
Old April 4, 2021, 05:50 PM   #90
ATN082268

I had my spidey senses go off at a remote outdoor range a while back. Two police officers were also shooting and a group of other shooters were looking at them like they were waiting for them to leave. I packed up the same time as the officers. It probably wasn't an ambush attempt and more likely they were going to do some shooting antics. Either way I didn't want to stick around and left.
Old April 7, 2021, 01:33 PM   #91
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
Re post #5 this is likely the referenced thread. I know of no thread over there making any reference to a member being murdered at a range or otherwise. I would be curious as to a link of the incident.

The latter more addresses people out shooting in the desert.

Here in Ohio I shoot at a private members only range which is pretty well monitored. I have no reservation with leaving gear on the bench during a ceasefire for target changes. If I did I would be looking for another range to shoot at. I shoot to relax and enjoy and somehow keeping a constant vigil of my back seems to deter from why I am there in the first place. While I agree with situational awareness I also try not to place myself in certain situations.

I remember one day after rifle I wandered down to the short range for some handgun. Wow, I was now the owner of a Sig P220 and a nice stapler. Took them over to the range office and a day later got a thank you from a member. No reward necessary but it got me making sure I never leave anything behind.

Ron
The discussion I'm referring to was At Least 12 years old
Old April 7, 2021, 01:34 PM   #92
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer 2 View Post
A long time ago when i was young and dumb - was shooting at the now closed off Rampart Range shooting range (near Garden of the Gods, CO). 2 sketchy peeps several spots over and nobody else at the range. They were trying to get a semi-auto 22LR to work. Really didn't pay much attention was sighting in my 270 for upcoming mule deer season. Didn't own a spotting scope. Started walking downrange to check my target (their 22 rifle was in pieces). Looked back and one of them was at my spot. Headed back yelling at the guy to back off from my spot. He didn't. He picked up my rifle. Now i'm a pissed off infantry soldier. Drew my concealed Glock 26, while running up on him and his friend. His friend is freaking out. The guy with my rifle, calm as can be "What's your problem, i'm just checking out your rifle." Words exchanged. Have them back away. Grab my stuff and leave. After that, i've never shot alone at outdoor ranges when just one other person(or group) is around. Don't care how far i've driven -- it's a pass for another day.
Rampart Range was pretty skeezy. I never went there alone but I also have to say there was only one death in 50 years and that was a genuine malfunction form a muzzle loader.

The biggest problem I saw up there was that people would go up there and shoot and leave their garbage behind. The shotgun hulls looked like snow drifts and there were dead refrigerators, stoves and washing machines all over the place. The place was a major eyesore.

My wife and I quit going there probably a couple years before it was closed. We now go to a private club out East of town. My work schedule is such that we get there on the weekdays we usually have a bay to ourselves and we act as our own range safety.
Old April 7, 2021, 02:32 PM   #93
Reloadron

Quote:
The discussion I'm referring to was At Least 12 years old
Yeah and that's fine. Do you have a link? That is what I asked.

Ron
Old April 8, 2021, 01:53 AM   #94
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
Yeah and that's fine. Do you have a link? That is what I asked.

Ron
Can't find it.

It may have been archived or lost when they switched from the V Bulletin format.

You're more than welcome to believe me or not as you see fit
Old April 8, 2021, 09:54 AM   #95
Reloadron

No, not at all that I didn't believe you. I just wanted to read the thread and see what the commentary was. Don't doubt it for a moment, be aware of your surroundings.

Ron
Old April 9, 2021, 11:47 AM   #96
HWS

I shoot at a private range owned by the National Forest. There are always people there when I go. Besides this I shoot mostly IN the National Forest, at one of many places I can go for privacy. Nobody has ever approached me with a gun there while I was shooting.
Old June 8, 2021, 06:58 AM   #97
Moonglum

At my range there is no RSO and I'm USUALLY alone. When I'm going to check a target I simply reload and holster.
Old June 8, 2021, 08:25 AM   #98
FITASC

Quote:
Used to all the time when I lived out West and shot at the public city-owned facility (no RSOs ever). But back in the 80s and 90s, it seems folks were a little more respectful and considerate. And no one wore a concealed weapon - just wasn't considered necessary at the range.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 8, 2021, 11:52 AM   #99
Dave P

A factual story: man was shooting at a class 3 match. When it was over he loaded up his car and drove to walmart (prolly for more ammo!). Bad guys appearently were watching match, and followed the shooter to WM, where they broke into his car and stole a handful of expensive weapons. So watch yer back on the road, too. Palm Bay, FL.
Old June 8, 2021, 03:02 PM   #100
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Many of the posts here got me to wondering, can you/would you shoot someone for stealing a gun while you were at a range?

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
I wouldn't shoot him for stealing my gun .... but my once fired brass lying on the floor is mine and nobody better not touch it ... I'm a serious brass hoarder !
Gary