The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 9, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1
MoBart

Armagedon / Global breakdown type preparedness

Ok, so I whatch all the shows on history and outdoor channel about the potential for global breakdowns and other doomsday scenerios and am thinking about building some holly poop kit. I'm not as scared of or concerned about the total breakdown of sociaty or armys of zombies like in the video games I like (and yes those are a fun way to work on your defensive tactics, lol, I tel my wife that all the time) but, riots/civil unrest, or major weather destruction, or the possability of a HazMat contamination of an area (if you ever whatch "Best Defense" they re-ran that episode in November, and we had a truck full of hydrocloric acid turn over on a major interstate in downtown KC the next week) I have already talked to my wife about where we would go, what we should take, keep the gas tank full, always have a box of newer canned vegtibles in the pantry/laundry room, stuff like that.

Here is the issue I will be dealing with I think if something like that ever comes to pass; family. Not just my family but my extended family. I haven't talked to any of them about it for what ever reason, mostly they are more or less liberals that would think I'm off the deep end paraniod consperacy nut guy if I did. But, if I am oh well, every body has to be something right? None of them besides myself and one cousin who is 19 have any real weapons experiance, and he is a Marine Reservist. I left the Corps after 8 years for a job that paied better with less travel. So how do I choose weapons that will be easily functional foreveryone who I might have to arm (wont be many, its my money that buys them they houldn't be greedy right? lol) I'm thinking like this;

4 - 5 AK 47 variants (in adition to my ar15)
1 9mm pistol per rifle (in addition to the beretta I carry around from time to time)
2 - 3 shotguns, I have 2 tactical/defensive type and several hunting guns, I figure grab 1 or 2 bird guns for shooting dinner now and then, we will be heading back to the family farm and hunting has always been great in that area
my 30/30 marlin for defensive as well as hunting purposes
my .22 LR for smal game hunting purposes
2000 rounds 7.62X39mm ammo
1000 to 1500 rounds of 9mm

Anyone have any pro or con thoughts on that aspect of the kit? I figure the Ak is a very simple weapons system, ammo is still cheap by comparrison (none of it is cheap anymore) I can get anyone up to speed on it pretty quick if need be, and they are perfection in the reliability department. Not very accurate past 200 yards but what are the odds I will have to fight from that distance in these scenerios? I figure, an easy to operate, balisticly acceptable, utterly reliable weapon holding multiple rounds for close in definsive scenerios is what would be the best bet, and that sounds like an AK to me. Don't misunderstand me, I love my AR but, I'm not buying several of them, to store and shoot occasionaly in preperation of something that may never happen and hopefully won't ever be needed.
Old January 9, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
OldShooter

Are you going to a hideout or staying in your home bunker? How long will this situation last and can you store enough provisions? Lots of questions come to mind.
Old January 9, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
pax

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=225383

pax
Closed Thread