The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 7, 2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

A new Marlin levergun story

Decided I wanted a 336 Youth (.30-30 Win). Gun store worker pal says we got a lot of them (they had 5 left when I went in today). He says I can open all the boxes and pick the best one, since the display model obviously had a poor wood to metal fit.

So the display model is 1 of 5, let's say. Not nearly as bad as the worst Remlins you've seen, but there's some gappage there.

In addition to wood / metal fit, I'm looking for action smoothness, good trigger, and aligned sights.

We look at #2 and #3 - they are slightly better but not a lot.

With #4 I hit the jackpot - *really* good wood to metal fit, reasonably smooth and decent trigger. I will put up a pic later of the wood to metal fit. You couldn't fit a dollar bill in between. I did not even bother to look at #5.

On the sights, ALL of them appeared to have a front sight which was dead-on aligned, but a rear sight which was off to the RIGHT a bit - all the same.

Well, I get it home, and turns out, the rear sight isn't "off" per se. It's simply drifted right of center for some reason from the factory. So that's a bonus.

All in all, I'm happy and lesson of course is to look around with Remlins...They're slowly getting better and some are really good like old ones, it initially appears. This is an advantage of living in a large metro. This particular "LGS" is quite large, with quite a stock to choose from. Had to go in during the daytime though when they weren't as busy, to make the extraordinary search happen.

The only bad news is that from the time I decided I wanted one until today, at some point along the way, they jacked the price up from $409.95 to $439.95 plus tax, which I didn't realize until check out. However, frankly, I was glad to pay it to get a good Remlin in a neat config (16" Youth), which I've been wanting. Assuming no internal defects, well worth it. Almost $480 total though.

Now I just need a peep rear for it (which one?), and my CZ 527 in .17 Hornet and Tanfoglio Witness Steel Hunter 6" in 10mm. That's all I really want for the next 2-3 years.

UPDATE: Couple other things: No, the rear sight IS cut out a bit to the clockwise / right side of things! - though the front sight is dead on straight as it appeared initially. The rear sight was *also* also drifted too far right, but the drifting was a small amount of the issue, and the offset milling error was the larger amount. Still quite small overall - not enough to affect function except maybe the tiniest amount (particularly in light of the fact that this will wear a peep sight on the rear sight holes). I really don't know how much, but it's so little that I'd guess in the 1 to 4 degree range (out of 360) to the right.

Also, the checkering is weak press-checkering, not cut. Ugh.

Also, the front side hood wobbles a bit when you touch it; not tight.

Also, it would have been nice to have a recoil pad, rather than this standard plastic buttplate.

So it's not 100% by any stretch, upon further review, but it's serviceable, and what I wanted (not to mention a lot less money than an honest to goodness used Marauder).

BUYER BEWARE is still the key phrase here - personally inspect the actual rifle you will be getting.

Stay tuned for pics and shooting / accuracy report in a week or three.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; November 8, 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old November 7, 2014, 08:57 PM   #2
mehavey

Rear peep ?
Williams FP336
Old November 8, 2014, 03:11 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Slap a used 336 butt stock on there (be sure it isn't cracked) and you'll have the modern equivalent of a Marauder.

Before Cornbush convinced me to convert my "spare" 336 (30-30) to a 444, I was pretty dead-set on making a Marauder out of it. (I wouldn't have tried, but the serial number and barrel markings would have let me pass it off as an original, to boot. )

That 16" bbl should be a lot of fun.
Old November 8, 2014, 05:14 AM   #4
deerslayer303

Thanks for the report and congrats on your new dirty dirty. I'm curious though, with all the quality issues of the Remlins these days. How do other lever guns stack up? I'm sure the Henrys are a quality piece, but what about the others? The Rio Grande, Mossberg? Kinda hard for me to stray from the Marlin though. Plenty of oldies out there to be had, I guess.
Old November 8, 2014, 06:54 AM   #5
1stmar

Are they using micro groove barrels in the new Marlins?
Old November 8, 2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Unlicensed Dremel

Gents,

Thank you.

Microgroove? Yes, indeed. (is that good, bad, or indifferent? I forget)

As for turning it into a Marauder, good call on stock swapping ... However, I think just adding a good 1" or 1.25" recoil pad will kill two birds with one stone - essentially turn it into a Marauder, AND reduce recoil. QUESTION in that regard: Do you think that a recoil pad marketed as "for 336s" will fit or not fit? In other words, did Marlin take the existing 336 stock, and just simply "lop it off", in which case the outside dimensions on this one will be smaller and the standard aftermarket recoil pad will NOT fit...or did they specially make a buttstock so that although shorter, the final 'rearend' dimensions are the same as a regular 336? My guess is the former. I think that today I will remove the plastic buttplate and run to BassPro or Academy to directly compare the aftermarket stuff on dimensions.

The rifle cycles fully loaded ammo just fine.

This is the rear sight / front sight combo I already ordered:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/827...vc=subv1827813

That product seems like a win-win for the price. Comes with a fire front sight, and also has a rail, in case I want to scope it.

I bought some 170 grainers - Remington Express C.L.s. What sort of velocity should I expect from a 16" bbl with 170s with factory ammo? Probably going to be looking at the 1975 to 2050 range, from what I'm reading.

Thanks again. Yes, this should be a reasonably light, VERY handy "long-trek" rifle for woods hunting in the rain, which is its raison d'etre - the "Rain Rifle".

http://www.impactguns.com/marlin-mod...495010249.aspx

One other thing of note: Many would view the lack of nice blueing like old Marlins a negative - this one has a parkerized or duracoat looking type finish. And I suppose it's another of the multiple forms of cheapening which allows them to compete against the el cheapo .30-30s from Mossberg, Rossi, Henry, whatever. So I suppose these are understandable 'cut corners'. But since this is my "rain rifle", this cheapening is actually a bonus for my use.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; November 8, 2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old November 8, 2014, 05:26 PM   #7
mehavey

Quote:
micro groove...?
Not in the two '94s I have, nor in the `95 45-70.
Standard Ballard grooves.

Last edited by mehavey; November 8, 2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old November 8, 2014, 06:35 PM   #8
TnTnTn

It aggravates me to no end to see that manufacturers can't get iron sights properly milled, aligned, and square!! I have seen so many new rifles that have canted and/or out of square sights. Ridiculous.
Old November 8, 2014, 11:29 PM   #9
deerslayer303

I was at my LGS today, and they had a New Remlin 16" barrel sitting in a lead sled on the counter. This thing was UTTER CRAP!! The wood to metal fit was AWFUL! The rear sight was off center. And it didn't take a whole lot of study to see it. I saw it all without even picking it up.
Old November 9, 2014, 12:04 AM   #10
mehavey

Anyone notice that the new (`94's at least) Marlins have a tiny (5mm) QR
code box(image) etched into the receiver as lead-in to the serial number?
Old November 9, 2014, 01:18 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Do you think that a recoil pad marketed as "for 336s" will fit or not fit? In other words, did Marlin take the existing 336 stock, and just simply "lop it off", in which case the outside dimensions on this one will be smaller and the standard aftermarket recoil pad will NOT fit...or did they specially make a buttstock so that although shorter, the final 'rearend' dimensions are the same as a regular 336?
I believe the 336Y stock does have a smaller buttplate.

The easiest way to check is to pull out your owner's manual and compare part numbers in the chart at the back of the book.
If they're different, you'll have a quick answer. If they're the same, you may want to measure the plate and get some dimensions from some one with a standard 336. (Since it could be a "grind to fit" type of installation for the 336Y.)
Old November 9, 2014, 09:27 PM   #12
steveNChunter

Quote:
Rear peep ?
Williams FP336
+1. I have one of these on a Henry .30-30. I like it. Especially like the click adjustments as opposed to the "loosen-and-slide" affair on the cheaper model. Best peep sight around unless you want to spend big money on a Skinner.
Old November 11, 2014, 07:41 PM   #13
giaquir

For the FP336 on my Remlin 44, I had to use the two most forward
tapped holes.Looked crappy so I bought a Skinner.