The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 29, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Remingtonvadeer

Range help in virginia!!??

Hello all I own a new rem. .243 an I am looking for a rifle range in virginia. I live in fredericksburg but a couple min. drive would'nt be an issue. I am looking for a public range something I can go to an zero in my rifle instead of using my hunting property to do so.! I am currently in a saftey coarse which i finish on the 6th of dec. I havent yet hunted but cant wait for that slip of paper stateing I can!! I have been back there tracking an scoping for deer! Have found good beddings an paths! but I would be very thankful for your help! also If anyone wants to come on down to the property an take a deer with me after the six come on, also would love to hunt with you sence I dont have any locations Of knowledge yet of land!. But I am looking for 100 to 200 yard range or anything. Thank you all
John Gibson
Old December 12, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
mlun55

John,
I use Clark Brothers in Warrenton. If you come up 17 off 95 it shouldn't be more thaan 45 mon for you. 100 yd, 50 yd and 25 yd target capability. I have been looking for a range with longer capability, but haven't been able to find one around here. I shoot a lot, but haven't been out doing any hunting other than for ground hogs. I'm not sure how to go about finding a place to hunt anywhere around here...
Good luck..
Old December 13, 2009, 01:01 PM   #3
KLRANGL

I think you're best bet for the immediate future is the C.F. Phelps WMA range.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=17

Been there once before a few years back and it was nice, though nothing special... 100 yds and free
Old December 19, 2009, 02:48 PM   #4
chris in va

Not to mention Clark Brothers requires you to buy their own ammo.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
CPTMurdoc30

Hello guys I don't post much here.

I live in Stafford. I belong to the IWLA Izzak Walton League We have one located here in stafford and there is one located in F'burg. It is not public as you have to pay a membership for mine it is $200 the first year and $100 every year after that.

Clark brothers is ok for a range but yes you do have to use their ammo and boy it is expensive.

There is a sight in range at CF Phelps WMA it is not open much and only during Deer season is it open to use then only a few days a week.

As for locating a place to shoot your best bet is to find a friend that has a few places to hunt on.

I love ground hog hunting and there are places that are just thick with them but most are 2 hours away. I have been all over stafford and a few bordering counties I got turned down every time. Not many people allow hunting because many farms have been leased by hunt clubs.

If you want any further than 100 yards you may want to look into the Quantico Shooting club. It is only $80 a year and you can get all the way out to 1000 yards. the 600 yard range is limited to 308 win and below. The draw back is you shoot at the convience of the USMC. there has to be an RSO on the range and the RSO can not shoot at all. If the range is open and there is no RSO there is not shooting.

http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/

Stafford Chapter

If you guys want to see what our chapter looks like send me an email and we can set up a time to take you out there and show you around. I am off till jan 4 and have plenty of free time. [email protected]

Info on fred chapter

Fredericksburg-Rappahannock Chapter
Property/Meeting Site: 12400 Herndon Rd.
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
Chapter Website:
To Join Contact: John Gamble
(Membership Officer)
Phone: (540)972-3379
Email: [email protected]

Last edited by CPTMurdoc30; December 23, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old June 12, 2010, 08:45 AM   #6
CoopVA

I go to Range 82 out in Midlands, just off Rt 28 outside of Bealton. They got 16 lanes at 100 yards. It's a nice setup and every time I've gone there I've pretty much had the range to myself. $250 a year for membership.

I also joined the Quantico Shooting Club at Quantico, they have some form of long range meets every month. $80 a year and discounts on match fees.

I'm shooting F Class T/R with a Vz-24 Mauser I built to .308...