The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2012, 04:04 PM   #1
drcook

Daughter's New Shotgun

I just bought my kid a new shotgun. Gander Mountain had Remington do a special run for them

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...pecialrun.aspx

It is 1" shorter in LOP than the standard youth model. My kid is 4'10" and almost 17 so she will be lucky to get over 5'. She is muscular and athletic though, being a dancer since before kindergarten.

So far she has agreed to go squirrel, pheasant and grouse hunting. I am sure eventually she will go for rabbits also.

Eventually I am going to be a longer vent rib 870 barrel and have it shortened back to 23"/24" and rethreaded for the chokes. The extra couple inches will help on the swing, but from everything thing I see/read, not much ballistically.

We also have an 870 youth slug barreled gun, left over from my boy, that I will use the extra barrel to turn into a turkey gun as my wife, who does rabbit hunt with me, says she wants to go turkey hunting. So I can get a tight choked barrel and it is already drilled and tapped with a scope mount rail attached.

We had looked at the Mossberg 510's. But from everything I read about them, they are vicious little kickers in 20 gauge. They would have been perfect for kids in 28 though. The 410 chamberings are good recoil wise.

I also reserched the Mossberg Bantam, but really liked the 870 better and since we can switch barrels around, it will work out great.

My wife uses the youth model 1100 20 guage I bought for her.
Old November 19, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Good for her - and for you, for looking out for her.

For anyone else looking for such things, see http://www.remington.com/en/product-...-shotguns.aspx. There's a compact 11-87 with an adjustable LOP stock as well as a couple of different compact 870s with adjustable length stocks as well.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:39 AM   #3
ChasingWhitetail91

No young boy messes with a girl that can shoot a 12 ga.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Comanche

Amen to that.

Last edited by Comanche; November 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:22 AM   #5
drcook

I was just informed that my daughter wants to go deer hunting. I have the left over youth 870 model rifled slug from my son. I am going to contact Remington about buying a buttstock for it the same size as her new one. I realize I could just take it off and swap it. The 870 slug gun is drilled and tapped and has a scope rail on it, so it is going to be a dedicated turkey / deer gun.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
No young boy messes with a girl that can shoot a 12 ga.
Unless she wants to be messed with and sometimes the girls are worse than the boys.
Old November 25, 2012, 06:00 PM   #7
drcook

The majority of her grades are high B's and A's. She is in 11th grade and already has 4 yrs of Spanish, is taking Calculus and the Sciences. She is going to get a doctorate. We have a performing arts school here that she was able to attend (part of the system) that she had to audition for and have the grades, she has been dancing since before kindergarten. She and her 2 partners won a national contest when they were 5. Out of the 3 kids, she is going to be the one that makes the most of herself.

Her boyfriend is another whiz kid. He blew away the air force entry exams and is guaranteed any job he wants (scored in the mid 90's, which is phenomenal by the way). Both really don't want kids and Jennifer is committed to becoming a Dr before she makes any lasting decisions.

There is a program here that in her senior year she will start college for free.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:15 PM   #8
drcook

We went to our local outfitter today. They had a super sale on. We got her a pretty decent set of bibs, jacket and orange vest, all reasonable quality for 80.00, normally they would have gone well over 120 for the set.