The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2009, 08:43 PM   #1
ar15chase

JC higgins

I broke the butt stock off of my JC Higgins 12 ga. model 20-12 Sears,Roebuck and co. 583.58. It broke the bolt and the wood buttstock by dropping it. I have looked around and talked to gunsmiths in my area. Nobody can seem to find the parts. The only gunsmith who will order me the parts want $250. The gun is not even worth that much. It just means alot to me because my father gave it to me but I have a limited budget. Any help?
Old March 24, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
TxGun

Maybe you can find something similar here that will work. I don't see that specific #, but sometimes several models used many of the same parts.

http://e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=127
Old March 24, 2009, 09:57 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Could this be a Mossberg made gun? If so a 500 stock and bolt may fit... I ain't sure though as I didn't know of a cross bolt safety that old on a Moss.
Brent
Old March 24, 2009, 11:24 PM   #4
levrluvr

Most of the JCHiggins bolt-actions in the 583xx series were made by High Standard. I have two, one in 12 gauge that was my father's, and a 20 guage that I picked up years ago cheap. Excellent guns. The 58313-22 had a recall on them from Sears where the owners were urged to send the bolt into them and given a rebate check or store purchase card. Your particular model is not affected by this, but it didn't help the value of what was already a store-brand gun.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...action_shotgun

I would run a search on Sears, JC Higgins in Gunbroker in the shotgun parts section- they do show up there from time to time- cheap.
Old March 24, 2009, 11:32 PM   #5
flippycat

ar15chase you know if all else fails I could replicate that stock for you

I did two when I was younger that were pretty hot when finished and nearly identical to the originals. Though this was before digital camera time so I do not have any pics of them. Though I do have some recent grip pics I could show you that can backup my craftsmanship worthiness

The ones I did, 1 for a JCHiggens single shot and one was for a very old white powder wonder single shot.

I am sure there are far better craftsmen still in practice with stock making but I would do my best for you free of charge just to brush up on my skills.

I would need the bolt and broken stock though for a week or two.

you could always keep scouring the forums though you are probably bound to have one turn up for a decent price.

I do understand the sentimental value behind it though!
Old March 25, 2009, 12:07 AM   #6
TxGun

OK, maybe this helps. The e-Gunparts/Numrich Arms cross-reference says the J.C. Higgins Model 20 is the same as the High Standard Model 200 (a possibility "levrluvr" had suggested).

Does this look like your shotgun?

http://e-gunparts.com/productschem.a...Model=0750z200

Down near the bottom of the parts list, you'll see they sometimes have used stocks in inventory. Up above that, #66 is the stock bolt. Check with them.

Last edited by TxGun; March 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old March 25, 2009, 01:19 AM   #7
olddrum1

You might try some of the synthetic stock makers for a match. It will be ugly but functional.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:33 PM   #8
ZedD

The High Standard (JC Higgins model 20) has to be the best sleeper deal of the used pump market. Even at the smaller gun shows up here in the sticks, they can regularly be had for $100 to $125.

While there's no connection between this gun & the Mossberg pump, it might still be worthwhile to remove the busted stock, & wander your local gunshow to compare it to the used stocks that are always abundant. You never know. I ran across a couple model 20 forends at a Minnesota show this winter.
Old March 25, 2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Gazzmann

High Standard Model 200 parts should work.
Old March 26, 2009, 06:08 AM   #10
Old Guard Dog

My records show it was made for Sears by High Standard, Mod 200. OK gun. Should be able to find a used stock.
Old September 8, 2009, 02:11 PM   #11
jpaulamato

JC Higgins Model 20- 12ga.

I'm looking for owner's manuel (or similar info.) for a J.C. Higgins Model 20-12 ga. 583.56. Got this gun from my father. Still in excellent shape. Just started using it, and would like to know more about it.
Old September 8, 2009, 06:36 PM   #12
NeroBrandt

http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_10.pdf

Here's a model 20...

http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_20.pdf

I have a JC Higgins bolt action 16 gauge. I think it's a great gun...lots of fun to shoot.