The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2011, 06:09 AM   #1
PaseMkr

Dumb question regarding location of bench

Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide where to located my bench when I begin to reload. I have a storage room in the basement that would be ideal, but the furnace and hot water heater are also in this room. If I position the bench 8-10ft away from those items, do you think that would be okay or would you say absolutely not?
Old February 1, 2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Kevin Rohrer

It should not be a problem. Neither has an open flame that could cause a problem.

I'd only be concerned if you use a combustible liquid that might fill the air w/ vapor.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old February 1, 2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Mobuck

The open flame/pilot burner would not bother me. What might cause a problem is the airflow around your powder scale. I had to move my powder scale at least 15' from where my furnace is to prevent the air movement from deflecting the scale.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Bush Pirate

My bench is set up in same room as water heater and furnace also. Its been that way for a few years I haven't had any issues. I was also concerned about it but it was the only option my wife would go for.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:24 AM   #5
jmorris

Quote:

The open flame/pilot burner would not bother me. What might cause a problem is the airflow around your powder scale. I had to move my powder scale at least 15' from where my furnace is to prevent the air movement from deflecting the scale.
Get a clear cake pan lid to set over the measure, works like a champ at the range when I'm working up loads.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:46 AM   #6
CherokeeT

My bench was near the HVAC and water heater for many years, just keep your powder scale shelded from the breeze.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:11 PM   #7
PaseMkr

Quote:
Get a clear cake pan lid to set over the measure, works like a champ at the range when I'm working up loads.
Jmorris can you explain. I am having trouble visualizing what you are saying.

Thanks
Old February 1, 2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Edward429451

One of those deep clear plastic lids that come snapped over cakes in your supermarket. No glass, just shelter from he airflow so plastic is ok.
Old February 1, 2011, 07:41 PM   #9
PaseMkr

So regarding the clear, plastic cake lid, do you place it with the opening down so that the scale is completely enclosed or opening side face up with the scale set into the lid, so that the walls shield the scale, but the top is open?
Old February 2, 2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Crashbox

My bench is roughly ten to twelve feet away from the furnace and water heater. I say it's not an issue unless powder is deliberately thrown into the flames. I do shut the furnace off when reloading, though, mainly because the loud FWOOF of the furnace ignition startles the daylights out of me-