The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2015, 06:09 AM   #1
KBrun

Questions from beginning reloader

Hello all, I've been hanging around here for several weeks, and finally decided to join and post. I am reloading for a. 308, and just picked up the Lee breech lock challenger kit. I got the Lyman 49th book, a pound of IMR 4895, 100 sierra 165 grain game king bullets, cci primers, and once fired federal brass. I know some font like it, but I think it should work for what I'm doing.
Now to the question. Lyman has the starting charge for this as 38.0 grains, with a max charge of 43.2 grains. I was on Hornady load data website last night, and it had there load fir this combination.
There starting load is 42.7 with maximum being 45.5c, which I assume means compressed. Why the discrepancy? And who should I listen to? Thanks all.
P. S. I loaded 50 rounds, starting at 38.0 and working up to 42.5. This gave me 5 of each.
Old July 22, 2015, 06:19 AM   #2
overthere

If in doubt, follow the load data for your specific components. In your case, IMR-4895 with a 165gr Game King bullet. The data you have in your post is for a Hornady bullet.

Sierra's load data that I have shows a range of 38.3 - 41.9 for their 165gr non-match king bullets with a COAL of 2.750.

Though you should verify this with the latest load data, you can email Sierra and ask them to send you the load data for 308 Winchester.
Old July 22, 2015, 06:26 AM   #3
KBrun

So is the batch I have safe? I loaded to about 2.805 coal. The Lyman manual had 2.810 as max. I guess I didn't realize bullet to bullet variances were that large. Should I pull my 38 and 42.5 grain loads and seat the rest a little deeper? Thanks for the info. Also is there a sierra loading manual or do you just get information off of the website? Thanks again
Old July 22, 2015, 06:51 AM   #4
overthere

Your COAL should be fine, as should the 38.0 and 42.5 load. Longer COAL typically generates less pressure as long as you do not end up jamming the bullets into the lands.

I would shoot them myself and keep an eye on pressure signs when you approach 42 grains. If in doubt you can then opt to not shoot the 42.5 loads and instead pull them. I would not worry about shooting the 38.0 load though, 38.0 vs 38.3 is almost negligible on the low end.

That is what I would do, you need to proceed as you see fit based on all data available.

If you go to this link and scroll down about 1/3 of the page there is a link '308 Winchester Load Map' which is the Sierra 308 load data. I do not know if it is the latest however.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/308win/
Old July 22, 2015, 07:10 AM   #5
KBrun

Sounds good. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can get to the range Friday and see what I have. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on!
Old July 22, 2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Longshot4

KBrun You should be doing well with the information you have but understand the more you know the wiser you become so pick up a few more manuals and take your time to understand what you are reading. Always read the cases for pressure signs. Not all signs are bad but understanding case conditions is very important. Hogdon powder manual and Sierra a must in my opinion. This site also makes good reading but take it with a grain of salt. Understanding is what is needed.
Old July 22, 2015, 02:32 PM   #7
cw308

Are you reloading for a Bolt action or semi auto. For hunting or target shooting. Your load range is fine to start with, the most accurate load will be somewhere in the middle of the listed range. Standard OAL for a 308 Cal. is 2.800, as time goes on & you read more on reloading, there is a tool for everything. Head space & measuring OAL from ogive instead of Shell base (head) to bullet tip. Measuring from ogive is more exact. I'm a benchrest shooter, my trigger is set in ounces not pounds. zero to .001 head space, to jump or jam your rounds. Every rifle is different in how it shoots. Only way to see what works best in your rifle is testing one change at a time. With the same powder & bullet, start with the same AOL, change powder charge .05 gr from starting load up, stay away from compressed load 38.0 - 43.5, 5 shot groups. what ever group shoots best, let's say 42.0, then change OAL from 2.750 - 2.800 or 2.810 as long as it fits in your magazine & can chamber without jamming into the rifling. change in steps of .010 You will find a round that will give you the tightest group, for example 41.5 gr with a OAL of 2.790. When you try a different powder it starts all over again. My favorite load for 308 cal is IMR 4064 40.5 gr under a Sierra 168 gr HPBT bullet groups .5 & better at 200 yard zero with the bullet just touching the rifling. FEDERAL BRASS is THICKER then most so keep your loads 1.0 grains less then listed. I use Federal & ADI brass, F/L size, I trim brass every firing to 2.010 Hope I helped in some way. Be Safe Chris
Old July 22, 2015, 02:39 PM   #8
KBrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308 View Post
Are you reloading for a Bolt action or semi auto. For hunting or target shooting. Your load range is fine to start with, the most accurate load will be somewhere in the middle of the listed range. Standard OAL for a 308 Cal. is 2.800, as time goes on & you read more on reloading, there is a tool for everything. Head space & measuring OAL from ogive instead of Shell base (head) to bullet tip. Measuring from ogive is more exact. I'm a benchrest shooter, my trigger is set in ounces not pounds. zero to .001 head space, to jump or jam your rounds. Every rifle is different in how it shoots. Only way to see what works best in your rifle is testing one change at a time. With the same powder & bullet, start with the same AOL, change powder charge .05 gr from starting load up, stay away from compressed load 38.0 - 43.5, 5 shot groups. what ever group shoots best, let's say 42.0, then change OAL from 2.750 - 2.800 or 2.810 as long as it fits in your magazine & can chamber without jamming into the rifling. change in steps of .010 You will find a round that will give you the tightest group, for example 41.5 gr with a OAL of 2.790. When you try a different powder it starts all over again. My favorite load for 308 cal is IMR 4064 40.5 gr under a Sierra 168 gr HPBT bullet groups .5 & better at 200 yard zero with the bullet just touching the rifling. FEDERAL BRASS is THICKER then most so keep your loads 1.0 grains less then listed. I use Federal & ADI brass, F/L size, I trim brass every firing to 2.010 Hope I helped in some way. Be Safe Chris
Thanks for all of the information. I'm reloading for bolt action right now, and hopefully will be able to shoot more. Right now I'm looking to get a fairly accurate round to practice with. Truth be told the load I choose will probably out shoot me for the time being. That's what I'm trying to change. If 4894 doesn't do what I want 4064 is next on the list. The 2 gentleman I personally know that reload either shoot 4895 or 4064 on their. 308. I suppose only time will tell what mine likes.
Old July 22, 2015, 03:01 PM   #9
cw308

KBurn, For accuracy, bolt action is the way to go, Sierra 168 gr HPBT may be a better choice for target. What rifle are you shooting & at what distance.
Old July 22, 2015, 03:19 PM   #10
KBrun

Its a Marlin XS7 with a Boyds stock and Harris bipod topped with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12. I am currently focusing around 100 yards, with the possibility to go out to 3-400 when I feel capable, and possible farther. The main reason I wanted the Game kings was to keep my options open on small Game. Obviously this is slight overkill for Beaver/coyote size, but if I shoot them I want them dead I dont expect this rifle to give me extreme accuracy, but for my budget now I think it should do.
Old July 22, 2015, 03:20 PM   #11
KBrun

Quote:
KBurn, For accuracy, bolt action is the way to go, Sierra 168 gr HPBT may be a better choice for target. What rifle are you shooting & at what distance.
Sorry forgot to quote!
Old July 22, 2015, 03:30 PM   #12
603Country

:-) Welcome to the addiction. Asking a lot of questions is a good sign. Good luck with the evil coyotes. If you see a pair of coyotes on open ground, shoot the one in the rear. The one in the front will often take off like a rocket, but stop and look back to see what happened. Then you get your chance on a 'twofer'.
Old July 22, 2015, 03:32 PM   #13
KBrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
:-) Welcome to the addiction. Asking a lot of questions is a good sign. Good luck with the evil coyotes. If you see a pair of coyotes on open ground, shoot the one in the rear. The one in the front will often take off like a rocket, but stop and look back to see what happened. Then you get your chance on a 'twofer'.
Thanks for the tip the current war is on beavers trying to keep them out if corn fields... Apparently cornstalks taste better then trees
Old July 22, 2015, 03:44 PM   #14
cw308

Nice set up. No reason it can't be a tack driver as long as you do your part. As time goes on & you get use to the rifle, bedding the stock with Devcon will make it rock solid. Enjoy shooting, Be safe out there. Chris
Old July 22, 2015, 03:48 PM   #15
KBrun

Quote:
Nice set up. No reason it can't be a tack driver as long as you do your part. As time goes on & you get use to the rifle, bedding the stock with Devcon will make it rock solid. Enjoy shooting, Be safe out there. Chris
Thanks... Ive considered bedding it and I'm sure eventually it will happen. Like you said I'm Focusing on my part now. I'll be sure to give a report after a shoot it.
Old July 22, 2015, 04:19 PM   #16
Scottish Highlander

Hi KBrun, I currently am reloading with Hogdon 4895 which is an awesome powder and well worth you trying for the 308. I've been led to believe it was developed by Hogdon with the 308 in mind. All my loads with this powder have been amazing under 150 grain Hornady bullets.

Good luck