The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2001, 10:14 AM   #1
Gary H

Recoil & Shooting High

I just spent a couple of months trying to minimize recoil for my small wife. She was having an impossible time "dry" mounting her new 1100 more than ten times. I purchased a Past womens vest with a long International style pad. Things didn't go as expected. I mistakenly took the wrong ammo to the range (2 3/4 Dr. Eq. & 1 1/8 Oz shot vs. planned 2 1/2 & 7/8). The LOP was one-inch longer than desired and accordingly she couldn't then mount the gun with the vest..read shoulder pad..in place. So, she shot with a heavier recoiling load and no pad.

She mounted the gun like a champ and didn't even notice the recoil...except when a shell failed to extract.

As it turns out, her biggest problem is in mounting the gun. So, a couple of hundred dry mounts per day should take care of that.

Now for the question:

Amy seems to be consistently shooting high. She broke four out of her first ten, but then only got two of the next forty. It seems far to early to be changing the stock around. Her stock is a shortened Outers Cadet with material removed from the lower and inner aspect of the pad for better fit with a great set of .....

How do I get her to shoot lower? I tried and failed.
Old July 17, 2001, 01:08 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gary, you're doing everything right. To go on from here...

Short stocks tend to shoot high, less drop at cheek.

Did she, not you, pattern the gun and load? Many field shooters like a high shooting gun, one can see the bird as one triggers. I do also.,

If she's blotting out the bird before triggering,
have her hold under the bird.IOW, she should see the bird over the bead.

Also, use those light loads. She sounds like a real trooper,keep it light until she acclimates.

An idea to lower POI a bit, switch to a bigger bead in the front. I got the big one from my TB here(Having the opposite problem), if you E me an address I'll send it along. Or, they should be available at any gunshop.
Old July 17, 2001, 01:44 PM   #3
BigG

I would agree with Dave McC: You can't tell unless you know what their sight picture is. Is the bird riding on top the bead which is riding squarely atop the receiver? If yes, then I call that a good sight pic. HTH
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 17, 2001, 09:13 PM   #4
Bowser

Whenever I shoot high at skeet, it is when I lift my head from the stock. I concentrate on keeping my cheek glued to the stock to fix the problem.

There are two aids I know of which might help.

Firstly Shotgun Tracer ammo (available from Hornady, I believe) which is 12 gauge 2 3/4 and #8 lead shot. It is legal even here in Ca. IF you can shoot lead shot where you are, this will allow an observer to see exactly where the shot is going. It may however distract the shooter, and cause her to lift her head.

Another gadget is an aiming device available at Sportsmans Guide and Cabelas, which is a plastic rectangular sight. It is about an inch wide and a 1/2 inch high. It clips onto the ends of your barrel. When you can see the clay in the hoop of the sight, you are aiming at the right height.

Good luck,

Bowser.