The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Model50crackshot

Ruger SP101 .22LR

While perusing the new gun market I saw that Ruger is coming out with I believe their first double action .22LR revolver. The SP101 I know has been popular for a few years in 38spl and 357mag and I am wondering what anybody has to say about the new .22LR version. I have very high expectations as I have come to respect Ruger as I have never had a bad product of their's. So, what are the thoughts on this gun? Is it worth the $500+ price point? Also, where is the best place to get one I've not seen one at any local gun stores (but thats not saying much).

Thanks for the info!
Old December 9, 2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Zhillsauditor

Ruger has made a DA revolver in the past (also an SP101?). A friend of mine got one of the new ones for $410 used. Feels like a ruger. Double action trigger is awful out of the box. Single action is nice. It is pretty heavy for its size (another ruger trait). He's a ruger guy, but I think he would admit it isn't a great 22lr if he was forced. He prefers his S&W 63 and shoots it probably about ten times the frequency as he does the ruger. (Myself, I prefer the K-frame smiths). We both like the sights on the ruger, though. The sights even encouraged me to buy a single ten, and I am not a ruger fan.

I see them at gun shows new for $475+. If you can perform a trigger job on a ruger, or can pay someone to do it, I think it would be a fine gun.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Theophilus

Saw one in stock at Cabela's, if that helps.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:51 PM   #4
22-rimfire

I haven't seen one yet at a gun shop but I don't visit shops every week.

Ruger previously made the SP-101 in 22 (and discontinued it) and I think it really sucked in that caliber. It had a horrible trigger. I probably have handled 50 different examples over the years at gunshows and shops. I could not bring myself to spend at the time $300 for one.

I had high hopes that this revolver would be better. At least it comes with about a 4" barrel which is generally more useful than a snubbie. I was pretty interested in one at first, but my interest has waned with the lack of examples I could handle. I do have the LCR-22 which is a fun little revolver.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
roaddog28

I bought one earlier in the year. Typical Ruger double action. Handles nice but the double action trigger is poor. I have put about 400 rounds through the revolver and the trigger is better but not by much. If your in the market for a nice double action 22 LR stay with S&W. In the Ruger line a person is better to buy a Single Six. Nice single action revolver.
Good luck,
Howard
Old December 9, 2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Model50crackshot

Did the previous model only come in a snub nose? In general I don't buy snub nose guns I think they are lacking. If they made this gun in a 6in I'd be all over this one. In general with the price of ammo these days I am trying to stick to .22's and 9's as my pistols because they are cheaper to shoot. For real accuracy my S&W 17 6'' can't be beat but this gun would fall in the plinking category.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:07 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

Ruger has made a lot of .22 DA revolvers in the SP101 series over the years.
The current version is the SP with a 4.20-inch half-lugged barrel, 8-round cylinder, fiber optic front blade, and fully adjustable rear sight.
In my opinion it's the best one they've ever done.

There were some intial problems last year with some of the first ones Ruger shipped with improperly cut forcing cones that caused severe leading & affected accuracy, but once it was brought to their attention they corrected the problem & the current guns are fine.

The design & dimensions of the SP require a heavy double-action trigger pull for reliable ignition.
Some have had success with lighter after-market springs, some have created erratic ignition.

If you don't fire it much in DA mode, not really a problem.
Denis
Old December 9, 2012, 02:12 PM   #8
22-rimfire

Dpris speaks the truth. He tested one just prior to their going into the retail market. I agree with him completely and since I shot a HR 999 with a terrible DA trigger, I could adapt to this one pretty easily. I seldom shoot revolvers DA anyway except for carry guns. I realize that a lot of revolver shooters will damn me for that, but that is reality. I shoot them DA for fun sometimes, but am not really serious about my accuracy.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Model50crackshot

Agreed...DA is not really necessary function in a .22. So on that note are the Ruger's SA trigger pull in line with what people would expect?
Old December 9, 2012, 02:46 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

Mine after several hundred rounds now breaks at 4 pounds, fairly clean, with some overtravel.

Since I have no intention of firing it in DA mode much at all, the DA pull doesn't matter to me.
Denis
Old December 11, 2012, 01:25 AM   #11
TennJed

as mentioned above the LCR in 22lr is DA and a hoot to shoot
Old December 11, 2012, 01:49 AM   #12
MarkDozier

The SP-101 in 22LR came out last year. It is over priced for the gun you get. Built small even for my hands.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:06 AM   #13
Hammerhead

I have a 6 shot .22 SP101 built in 2000. 4" half lug with low profile windage adjustable sights. Trigger is poor in both SA and DA, but my biggest concern is the tiny .22lr in a .357 length cylinder. The bullet jumps over 3/4" before it reaches the rifling. Accuracy is reasonable even with the jump, roughly 2" @ 25 yds with good ammo. I guess it's a good candidate for conversion to .22 WMR. Maybe someone will make me an offer.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:10 AM   #14
roaddog28

Quote:
While perusing the new gun market I saw that Ruger is coming out with I believe their first double action .22LR revolver. The SP101 I know has been popular for a few years in 38spl and 357mag and I am wondering what anybody has to say about the new .22LR version. I have very high expectations as I have come to respect Ruger as I have never had a bad product of their's. So, what are the thoughts on this gun? Is it worth the $500+ price point? Also, where is the best place to get one I've not seen one at any local gun stores (but thats not saying much).
To followup on what I said earlier. If you want the SP then try to see and handle the one your going to buy. I ordered mine when they first came out and when the revolver finally arrived, I was disappointed with the trigger action.

I have owned Ruger revolvers since 1970 mostly single actions. I own a Ruger Police Service Six that I have had for years. The double action trigger was good from the start on the Service Six. This is typical of Ruger double action revolvers. Either you get a good action trigger or a poor one. Doesn't matter when the revolver was built. In my opinion, a lot of this is because Ruger does not pay attention to refining their product. They mass produce the revolver and very little attention is paid toward detail. I have bought Ruger revolvers that have had rough edges on the trigger and trigger guards that have cut or worn blisters on my fingers. I have had to polish these surfaces.
The bottom line to this is, look over the revolver well before buying it.
Good luck,
Howard
Old December 11, 2012, 12:45 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

I liked mine enough to buy a shoulder rig to carry it along on ATV expeditions high above the usual belt gun.

If you require DA shooting from it, you may be disappointed, but otherwise mine justifies what I paid for it & the reason I bought it.
Better Hogue grip on it, fits my hand fine.

Denis
Old December 11, 2012, 01:08 PM   #16
L_Killkenny

Unless someone is wanting a DA for practice with larger guns I see very little need for DA .22lrs. Being said, I hate loading .22 rimfires thru a SA gate. Moral of the story? Buy a Buckmark or Ruger MKIII. Ya ain't saving brass anyway. And that friends comes from a die hard revolver man!
Old December 11, 2012, 02:07 PM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

I bought mine for the 8-shot capacity, ease of loading & quick ejection, the barrel configuration, the stainless steel, and the fully adjustable sights.

It won't replace my 1975 Single-Six, but it'll see more trail carry than my 22/45.
And I just sold my Buckmark.
Denis

Tags
.22lr , revolver , ruger , sp101