The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 02:28 PM   #51
ClydeFrog

Veterans, LTC Grossman; Chris Kyle....

The sad events & senseless murder of US Navy SEAL Chris Kyle should finally wake a lot of people up to the serious problem of PTSD & the use of firearms by those with mental health issues/medication.

I wrote a few forum remarks on TFL before about why veterans with VA disabilities or those who are in documented treatment programs(PTSD, stalking, domestic violence, trespass-ban from property, PFAs/restraining orders, threats, suicide-self harm attempts, etc) should not own or use loaded firearms. That includes hunting or target shooting.
These people or veterans may be unstable or lash out in public.
It's not fair or prudent to tell a veteran or a private citizen; you can get 100% disability or a full pension for a mental health issue then say it's okay for the same person to carry a concealed firearm or to hunt with a shotgun/rifle.

As for understanding PTSD & combat related mental illness, I would advise the forum members read LTC David Grossman's On Killing & On Combat. Grossman, a trained mental health expert, US Army officer & Airborne Ranger has good insight in these subjects. I don't agree with all of it but it's worth reading for anyone who wants to learn about veterans & combat related mindsets/behavior.

Chris Kyle was an American hero & true patriot. Like the death of Pat Tillman(the NFL football star who became a US Army Ranger after 9-11-2001), this event is a real shame.

CF
Old February 9, 2013, 03:05 PM   #52
carpshooter

Here's what I think !

Very sad !
Old February 9, 2013, 05:20 PM   #53
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Chris Kyle was an American hero & true patriot. Like the death of Pat Tillman(the NFL football star who became a US Army Ranger after 9-11-2001), this event is a real shame.
It is a shame when any of a vets are killed or wounded, whether they are famous or not. There have been numerous veterans killed that we have failed to morn, veterans we never heard of before they were murdered, but who were just as patriotic and heroic such as David James or Patrick Fleming.
Old June 12, 2013, 07:39 AM   #54
oldflathead

Chris Kyle's Book, "American Gun"

May Chris Kyle rest in peace and may God bless his family.

"American Gun - A history of the U.S. in ten firearms" was Chris Kyle's second book after "American Sniper". My wife gave me a copy yesterday, 11 June as an early Fathers Day gift. I began reading it and could not stop as I own five of the ten guns Chris discusses.

A GREAT read! Buy a copy to help Chris Kyle's family.

We should start another Post to discuss the ten gun choices he made.

Tom
Old June 12, 2013, 10:06 AM   #55
g.willikers

His book is well displayed at a couple of the large book stores in our area.
One had it lined up on shelves, right behind the checkout and cashier.
Couldn't miss it.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:45 AM   #56
bamaranger

read

Just finished reading KYLE's "American Sniper" book. Throughout the text I was constantly impressed by his warrior spirit, he wanted in the fight and he wanted to make a difference.

Darn shame.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:14 AM   #57
mdd

I picked up his book "American Sniper" last night while I was in town. I got home late but couldn't resist opening it and had planned to only read a few pages then go to sleep. 270 some pages later my eyes finally crashed shut on me about 3 a.m. I can't wait to get home from work to finish the book and I cannot remember the last time I felt that away about anything printed on paper.
At work today I keep thinking how fortunate his children are to have his autobiography now that he is gone. Obviously we would prefer he was still here as those kids' father and the walking, talking embodiment of everything great about America. I know they are young but when they are ready, their father's story will be there waiting for them.