The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 13, 2017, 12:51 PM   #1
candlejackstraw

Removing the rear leaf sight on a yugo m48...

Ugh. I'm having a hell of a time removing the rear leaf sight on a yugo m48. I'd like to install a mojo aperture sight. Can anyone assist me and explain the removal? The pin seems incrediby stubborn.
Old January 13, 2017, 04:44 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
gh. I'm having a hell of a time removing the rear leaf sight on a yugo m48. I'd like to install a mojo aperture sight. Can anyone assist me and explain the removal? The pin seems incrediby stubborn.
Picture please. Are you attempting to remove the whole rear sight fixture? Many Mauser '98s rear sight fixtures were a tube that was soft soldered in place. We removed them by heating them with a propane torch and used a block of wood between the hammer and the sight fixture to knock them down the barrel. If this is not what you want, "a picture is worth a thousand words".
Old January 13, 2017, 07:02 PM   #3
candlejackstraw

sorry, tap a talk is giving me trouble and wont show any "the firing line" threads.

Anywho. Heres a picture of both sides.

I just want to remove the leaf/ladder portion, so i can slide the mojo sight into those 2 holes.
Old January 13, 2017, 07:31 PM   #4
dahermit

You want an aperture sight that far from the eye?

Anyway, from you pictures (cannot really tell, too far away), I suspect that the pin could be slightly flared on both ends to keep it in place. A small end mill, or a small drill bit may be used to machine off the flared portion on one side or the other if it is sticking out a little proud of the metal through which it passes. Have you tried drifting it from both sides...one side may be less flared than the other? Worse comes to worse, it may have to be drilled out.
Old January 13, 2017, 07:36 PM   #5
candlejackstraw

yessir, i have a few marble full buckhorn sights on some lever actions that i use as an aperature/peep sight, and I'm also looking for a solution to potentially help my dad with his eyesight with doing anything permanent to some older stuff we have.

ive tried striking the pin on both sides with no budging. Whenever i "flip" or rotate the sight, the pin rotates as well.
Old January 13, 2017, 07:37 PM   #6
candlejackstraw

also, as ive been cleaning it up, the pin on the right side did look a little flared and missing some bluing. I wish i could take closer pictures with my phone. I wont focus up close. if someone comes and visits today or tomorow ill have them try their phone. lol