The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 25, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
sig220mwxxxx

Handloading for the 32 s&w long

I would like to load for the 32 s&w long cartridge. I seem to remember either reading or hearing somewhere that it is best to use softer rather than hard cast bullets when doing so. Can any of you shed any light on this?
Old June 25, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2
g.willikers

The hardness of cast bullets that are used for this cartridge depends more on the velocity and pressure of the rounds than the caliber.
Factory equivalent rounds would be in the 750f/s range, but reloading data shows other bullet/powder combination up to over 1000f/s.
So, it's not a universal truth that all .32s would use the same hardness of bullet.
And there's bullet diameter fit to barrel to consider.
It depends on the load, like any other caliber.
Here's some recommendations:
http://www.reloadammo.com/32swlong.htm
Old June 25, 2014, 06:38 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Unless you're trying to push the bullets to .32 H&R velocities, in an appropriately strong firearm, there's no need for a hard bullet in .32 S&W Long. Harder alloys may actually cause significant leading problems, where softer alloys would not (plus, it's a waste of tin and antimony, since it isn't necessary).

BHN 7-9 is perfectly fine for moderate loads in .32 S&W L, and I can't think of a single application that would require anything over BHN 10.5 (a bit softer than wheel weights).

Softer alloys are more easily deformed to fill the grooves of the barrel and seal the bore; whereas harder alloys may be too hard to be deformed by the pressures encountered in .32 S&W L.

Unfortunately, there aren't many sources for relatively soft .32 caliber bullets. Off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of that are generally readily available are from Hornady and Magtech.
Old June 26, 2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I have some Lapua soft lead hollow based wad cutters that I used for 32 H&R mag low pressure loads... not sure if those are still available ??? but they worked well...

I see they are still available...

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...earchscope=all
Old June 26, 2014, 09:03 AM   #5
FlyFish

I use a flush-seated Magnus 98 gr. wadcutter (their #204) over 1.8 gr of W231 for Bullseye competition in my Walther GSP-C Expert. I don't know the hardness of the alloy that Magnus uses, but it's proven to be a dependable and very, very accurate load.
Old June 26, 2014, 01:17 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have some Lapua soft lead hollow based wad cutters that I used for 32 H&R mag low pressure loads... not sure if those are still available ??? but they worked well...

I see they are still available...
That's right. I forgot about Speer and Lapua.
I think Remington offers them occasionally, as well. But, I wouldn't plan on seeing them any time soon. They have other priorities.

Rim Rock Cast Bullets also offers a few .32 caliber bullets at BHN 12. It's a little harder than I would prefer, but not ridiculous like the BHN 18-22 "hard cast" bullets that almost everyone else pushes.

I know there are a few other semi-custom cast bullet companies out there that offer softer alloys, but, right now, I can't think of their names or whether they offer .32s.

I, personally, use the Hornady 90 gr HBWC when I'm not casting my own (BHN ~10) or using jacketed bullets. .....The Lapua wadcutter is probably a better bullet.
Old June 26, 2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Slamfire

Quote:
I would like to load for the 32 s&w long cartridge. I seem to remember either reading or hearing somewhere that it is best to use softer rather than hard cast bullets when doing so. Can any of you shed any light on this

I am firing commercial cast bullets in my 32 S&W L which the caster claims are 13 BHM. I do not remember leading with these bullets. I went through a case of Aquila 32 S&W L ammunition which had very soft bullets and it leaded something awful. In my experience, very hard cast bullets lead at low pressures, others can explain why, but you don’t need “hard cast” bullets in the 32 S&W L.

For my 32 S&W L, I decided to load at 2.5 grains Bullseye with a 100 grain bullet. Three grains did nothing evil, but was so much faster than factory ammunition, that I decided not to press the issue.

Code:
S&W No. 3 Hand Ejector  3.25" barrel

98 LRN  Aguila Factory					
19-Mar-06 T = 51 °F

Ave Vel =	665.9						
Std Dev =	17.52				 		
ES =	69.38				 		
High =	697				 		
Low =	627.6				 		
N =	32	
Horrible leading. 			 		

100 gr LBBFP .313"   2.25 grs Bullseye SS Brass WSP		
19-Mar-06 T = 51 °F	

Ave Vel =	693.3					
Std Dev =	20.71			 		
ES =	103.9				 		
High =	721.8				 		
Low =	617.9				 		
N =	32				 		
Elevation good, Windage left,  Mild recoil							

100 gr LBBFP .313"   2.5 grs Bullseye SS Brass WSP		
19-Mar-06 T = 51 °F

Ave Vel =	768.2					
Std Dev =	16.97			 		
ES =	62.06				 		
High =	807.3			 		
Low =	745.3				 		
N =	17				 		
Elevation good, Windage good, Mild recoil, prefer this to 2.25 grain load							

100gr   LBBFP.313" 3.0 grs Bullseye WSP R-P brass	
4-Feb-06 T = 44 °F

Ave Vel =	861					
Std Dev =	14.83				 	
ES =	57.83			 	
High =	889.6			 	
Low =	832.1				 	
N =	31	

no leading, easy extraction, rounded primers,  sharp recoil
Old June 27, 2014, 11:07 PM   #8
JawjaBoy

I have used the 100 gr. RNFP from Missouri Bullet Company which is 12 BHN and they worked very well in my old Arminius snubbie .32 S&W Long and my late uncle's H&R .32 H&R Mag. Leading was minimal in both. Definitely not enough to worry about.