The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2001, 06:05 PM   #1
Monkeyleg

While dry-snapping the nickel Python I just picked up, I noticed some marring of the finish on the hammer where it enters the frame. I didn't notice it when I inspected the gun the first time last Saturday. Anyway, I found that there's a few thousandths of sideplay on the hammer in that frame channel. I compared it to a blued Python a dealer has and it seems to be about the same. Both my gun and the dealer's are from the 70's and have been fired a bit. Is this normal or has something worn? I never noticed any play like this on my S&W's.

Thanks for any replies.

Dick
Old January 25, 2001, 07:59 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Dick, it may be due to wear and considered normal but I've seen a lot of Pythons that didn't have any side play. The way to fix it is to make washers from shim stock that are placed on either side of the hammer to keep it centered. George
Old January 25, 2001, 06:45 PM   #3
Monkeyleg

Thanks, George. I'm still trying to find that website that has detailed instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble many modern firearms. I'm a bit leary about taking the hammer out of the gun, since I've never worked on a Colt before. I assume that the shim would go on the hammer pin. Yes? I'm sure I'll figure it out once I have it apart, but I don't want springs flying all over when I remove the sideplate.

What's _really_ bugging me about this is that I don't remember seeing those marks on the hammer when I inspected the gun. If they were there and I didn't check, that's fine. If there were no marks, that means the guy who sold it to me replaced or replated the hammer and suckered me.

Dick
Old January 26, 2001, 09:40 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Dick, I don't know what website you're referring to but if you find it please post it. I'd like to have something like that to refer folks to. Yes. The shim(s) go on the hammer pin. A very good book on this type of work is "Pistolsmithing" by George C. Nonte and I think Kuhnhausen has a shop manual out on Colt revolvers. That would probably be the better of the 2 for your pistol because it is Colt specific. George
Old January 27, 2001, 10:23 AM   #5
bfoster

Kuhnhausen has two books covering the various models of Colt revolvers. Volume 1 covers D,E, & I frames. The Python is an I frame. The book is available from Brownell's

Bob