The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 13, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1
RimfireChris

New Taurus 992 Tracker Questions

Hello everyone, I'm really looking hard at the new 992 Tracker. As far as I know, it's one of only two DA revolvers with interchangeable .22LR/WMR cylinders, the other being an offering from Charter Arms. I've always liked the Ruger Single Six, but wished someone would make a DA revolver like this, so this is sorta a dream come true for me. My questions are, does anyone have one yet, and how are you liking it? Also, how sturdy is the mechanism that holds the cylinder and crane in the gun? How are the Taurus .22 revolvers in general, 990 etc, especially trigger pull and accuracy? Thanks in advance folks.
Old April 13, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
DMZX

I do not think they have been released for sale yet. None of the gun scribes have acquired one and reviewed it. They usually get first dibs.
Old August 24, 2011, 10:28 AM   #3
zim41

992 Tracker

I purchased one yesterday, a blue 4" version which was the only one available.

The dealer only had one in stock. The firearm appears to be very well made and the cylinder attachment mechanism is very strong and easy to use. Because of handgun waiting periods in my state, I haven't picked it up yet. The price was about $440, plus tax, which I felt to be reasonable, considering the MSRP and the scarcity of the model.
Old August 24, 2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

992 vs 990

WOW, a 4 month old Taurus thread that didn't go ballistic with Taurusphobia!!!

I have been thinking about a 4" 990. Are there any differences with the 990 and the 992 other than the extra 22 WMR cylinder? I have a Rough Rider convertible, and rarely use the magnum cylinder. For just being a range blaster, I don't see the need for anything more than 22 Long rifle.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 24, 2011, 06:21 PM   #5
spanishjames

I have the 4" Taurus 990, and it's the most robust, and accurate 22lr handgun I own. The cylinder did begin to bind during the first 100 or so rounds shot through it, but after a good cleaning, it was fine. It's no Ruger or Smith when it comes to craftmanship, but for me, the large frame, heavy barreled 990 was a good buy. I like that I can shoot 22 shorts, Colibris, Mini Mags, and everything in between. The trigger pull is heavy, but easy to get use to.

I've never seen the 992, but from looking at the catalog, it looks just like the 990, except for the unfluted cylinders. You have to give Taurus credit for innovation. There's lots in their new catalog that grabs my attention.

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/2011_taurus_newcatalog.pdf