The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 27, 2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Firepower!

Who makes the best Kalashnikov?

Hi
Who makes the best AK or Ak variant in your opinion? I personally think that Chinese is pretty good, the Type 56.
Regards
Old February 27, 2010, 02:52 PM   #2
TMackey

Russians of course.
Old February 27, 2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Incognito

Arsenal Inc.
Old February 27, 2010, 03:18 PM   #4
smax

I'm a fan of Saigas from Arsenal.

I love my SGL20.
Old February 27, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5
allons

Don't know about BEST? (matter of personal choice) But I've had nothing but smooth sailing with my Romanians in 7.62x54r, 7.62x39 & 5.45x39.

Never had a problem with my Saigas, (IZHMASH) rifles either. Got them in 7.62x39, .223, and my .308 is a veritable tack driver.

For the pure fun factor, I'd have to say my Romak III in 7.62x54r, if it's even considered an AK variant? Great rifle!
Old February 27, 2010, 04:13 PM   #6
RT

Bulgarians!
Old February 27, 2010, 04:26 PM   #7
SR420

The Chinese!
Old February 27, 2010, 04:39 PM   #8
noyes

The one's that have " zero " american made parts in them.........pre ban......
Old February 27, 2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Microgunner

Vector Arms
Old February 27, 2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Citizen Carrier

Best stamped receiver one I ever owned was a Hungarian SA-85M back in the late 1990s. It was a post-ban with a thumbhole stock made of great blond wood. The fit and finish of that one beat any hot blued Norinco or Polytech I was seeing at the time.

A few days ago I bid $500 for a used SA-85M underfolder model, thinking I'd go to $800 if necessary to win the auction. Last night the bidding had already climbed to $1250.

Second best I ever owned was probably the Century Arms Yugo underfolder M70A2. Wish I still had that one too.

I did have a new stamped Norinco at one point. I don't think it was strictly legal, but I took the thumbhole stock off that one and installed a buttstock and pistol grip. I do not have any negative memories of that rifle.

Worst I owned was a Romanian in 5.45mm. Trigger slap was miserable and the trigger did not function properly if you "squeezed" it. Slowly squeezing the trigger produced either a double fire, or a shot followed by a light strike. I would have to charge the handle again for another shot. The single "hook" in the trigger just wouldn't catch the hammer fast enough if you squeezed. It wanted to be "yanked", which I just hate doing...being a match shooter.

Curiously, I've never owned a milled reciever AK even though that is the type I have always wanted.

The best current AKs being produced are undoubtedly by Arsenal Inc. Problem is, I almost never see them. I went to the Tulsa gunshow a few years ago specifically looking for an Arsenal AK. It took me 7 hours to cover that huge show, and that was with skipping tables that were obviously just Old West antique guns. Not a single Arsenal gun in the place. Hard to find.

The AKs produced by Lancaster might be pretty good. They have an extensive line.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:21 PM   #11
UpandAtIt

Is it actually possible with minimal skills and tools to build one of the deactivated kits into a semi auto AK or variant? Such as the kits avail from apexgunparts.com.

Can parts for a Milled receiver fit into a stamped receiver and vice a versa?

How hard is it to build one?
Old February 27, 2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Citizen Carrier

Without a background in even basic sheetmetal and gunsmithing?

I would argue against it. The only people I know who do this have experience with drill presses, lathes, mills, riveting, etc.

And milled receiver AKs have the trunnion built into the receiver. Stamped ones have a seperate piece trunnion for the barrel.

There are probably websites out there were an AK builder does a slide show of his project from start to finish.

Like the periodic desire of some people to try building their own M1911, I think you'll find that by the time you amass all the tools necessary to do the job, you could've used the money to pay a gunsmith to slick up a stock gun for you and get it absolutely right the first time.
Old February 27, 2010, 07:16 PM   #13
Willie Lowman

IMI!

Old February 27, 2010, 07:51 PM   #14
jammin1237

i cant help myself but i have to say it..."Who makes the best AK or Ak variant?" ... what?...who cares! its like comparing a yugo to a corvette...
Old February 27, 2010, 08:22 PM   #15
cubesmoothie

saigas are good. The unconverted, stock saigas remind me more of rifles than ak's, but they are still great firearms. The converted saigas if done right, are among the best AKs. The Saiga .308 is like a poor man's m14. And the shotguns are awesome. I like the 20 gauge.
Old February 27, 2010, 09:15 PM   #16
ostrobothnian

Valmet. Hands down.

If you can find one.

Here's an unfired folder on gunjoker...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=158890711

My cousin lives in Finland and recently purchased an Arsenal and is impressed with the quality of his new rifle.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old February 27, 2010, 09:21 PM   #17
LouPran

I'm still waiting for one of these IOinc American Made AK's ... I let everyone know what I think of it when I finally get it.

Old February 27, 2010, 09:27 PM   #18
stuffaknuckle

I would say russian, chinese, and bulgarian would be the top 3 in my book.

Tags
7.62 , ak47 , kalashnikov