The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Six Shooter Steve

Realoading Classes in Indiana?

Does anyone know of where a guy could take a realoading course in northern Indiana? I have saw online some NRA classes that are being held, has anyone taken one of these courses? The price tag is a hundred dollars to take the course, and I wonder if it is worth the expense. In a perfect world I would know someone who could show me, but i dont know anyone who reloads, and would feel more confident if I could see it done rather than trying to learn from a book. Appreciate any feedback you guys could give

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}
Old January 13, 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
fella5

I just took one of those classes here in Waterman Illinois. I thought is was a great class if you ask me. I decided to take the course just to see if reloading was something I could do on my own. After taking the class and passing the NRA exam they make you take afterwards I went out and bought some reloading equipment as a Christmas gift to myself. the first half of the day was going over reloading material and the last half was actually reloading .223 REM and .38 Special. It wasy worth my $125..... can't beat hands-on-experience.

The instructor also gave us his email in case we have any questions about reloading
Old January 13, 2010, 09:24 PM   #3
ted 40

reloading classes ne indiana

There is a reloading supply shop out in the country NE indiana--syracuse, indiana

Cyrstal Brook Enterprise only open on week-ends 574-834-2744

very small shop--If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't stop.

2 years ago i walked in and he took the time to walk me thru all the steps.
actually he told me to come the following week-- earlier--customers weren't arriving till later

Of course to repay him I bought all my supplies at his shop.
very fair prices-- o

I still visit every few months--
Old January 14, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Six Shooter Steve

thanks ted, that is about two hours north of me but I go fishing up there every once in awhile. I might just have to pay him a visit. Good to hear about the NRA classes, I saw they have one commin up in FtWayne next month, I might check into that it is only about a hour away from me.

Old January 14, 2010, 06:05 PM   #5
mdemetz

These guys offer reloading classes 4 times a year.
Indygunworks
Old January 14, 2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Six Shooter Steve

Thanks mdemetz, that less than a hour away from me, I will definatly give them a call and see what they have to offer

Old January 14, 2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Sevens

Sounds like you are getting some fine suggestions and ideas.

I would also suggest that you seek out reloaders any/every time you visit a public range to shoot. Like shooters, reloaders can be some odd curmudgeons, too... and just keep looking if you come across some gruff old man then skip him and look for the next one. Many reloaders enjoy sharing the hobby with folks who are interested.

Best way to find a reloader while at a public range: Look for the flip-top ammo boxes. You can also look for the guys who police all their brass methodically, but IMO, there's no better indicator than looking for ammo in plastic boxes. Most reloaders I know and have seen don't use much factory ammo and don't re-use factory ammo boxes for long.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:10 AM   #8
Six Shooter Steve

Thanks sevens, I shoot at a private shooting club, but funny thing is there is never anyone there when we go shoot, go figure? I might just have to go to one of the meetings to meet some people. There are over 500 members, so there has to be plenty of reloaders in the bunch