The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Bones507

Turret press question

Greetings guys
I am going to pick up a turret press to replace my rock chucker as i want to go a little quicker but dont want a progressive.
My choice is the Redding T-7 press. I have seen the videos this guy put up on youtube and liked what i saw except for one thing wehich wasnt covered.
Can you mount a powder hopper on top of the press and throw the charges directly into the cases or must it be done by taking the case off the press and charging it and replacing the case and seating the bullet ?
If a hopper can be mounted on top, then this is the system for me. Thanks.
Old January 13, 2010, 07:38 AM   #2
F. Guffey

I have a Herters 6 position turret, sizing requires the turret be secured, when loose the retaining nut will rotate with the turret, because of this I set up the dies and run the cases through each position before rotating the turret to the next position. as in size, bell and seat when using the turret I use a powder measure independent of the press, plus the Herters press leans back at the top, without a wedge like available for some presses from RCBS (used to tilt the press back at the top).

By choice I charge cases while they are in a tray, time in motion etc., makes a long day of it, I do not mind that but the chance of spilling powder is increased when handling. a case.

F. Guffey
Old January 13, 2010, 07:45 AM   #3
twice barrel

If your powder dispenser will mount in the same hole that the dies will (or on top of a powder-thru die, sure.
Old January 13, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Capt.Mike

Lyman's Spar-T (turret) I did this for thousands of rounds. A Dillon or Lyman should still be available with the adapter to screw into the turret. On shorter runs and most pistol calibers I like the (old) turrets.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Sam06

I have a T-7 and the powder dispenser will screw right in. Mine is a Hornady, but I have an old Herters and it screws in also.

The Redding is the Cadillac of the turret presses. Its heavy so have a good place to mount it.
Old January 13, 2010, 02:53 PM   #6
David Wile

Hey Bones,

I may not like turret presses, but the fact is folks have been making perfectly good ammo on them for over 50 years, and Redding makes good equipment. However, I would like to make one suggestion if you can manage it. I would suggest that you not sell off your RockChucker when you get your new Redding. Your RockChucker is paid for, and in the years to come, I guarantee you will find many instances when you will want to use your old press for something special. I would say the same thing to someone buying a progressive press, too.

I had an RCBS A1 press many years ago, replaced it with a RockChucker, and have been sorry I sold it ever since. For my reloading purposes, the RockChucker does everything my A1 did, but I now regret selling it because there are not that many of them.

In your case, the RockChucker is not going to become a collector's item because there were so many made, but it is one of the classic presses and will continue to provide excellent service as long as you live and as long as your grandchildren live. How much can you sell it for? A hundred dollars? Maybe less? You will go through a lot of $100 in your lifetime, but you will never go through that RockChucker if you choose to keep it and use it.

I know my words are not responsive to your original post, but I meant no offense and hoped only to give something to consider as you go down this reloading craft.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 13, 2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Sam06

I agree with Dave 110%. I still have my old single stage Pacific press and a RCBS SS. There is no way would get rid of them. They are an Important part of my reloading equipment and would be the LAST press i would get rid of.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:25 PM   #8
enstorm

I have had a Redding T7 for 3 years anyhow and it is a well built piece of equipment but you will still get many miles out of the single stage. The turrets are pricey and that must be figured in, the original setup is not inexpensive either, and if I had it to do all over again I would have just invested the same $ in a progressive. Bottom line for me is with a single stage and reliable locking nuts so you don't have to reset dies every time you put them in the press, you can accomplish everything you can with a turret press in the same amount of time. In fact, the only time you save with the turret is the few seconds it takes to screw a pre-set die into a single stage. In fact I find that I still use the single stage more than my t7.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Bones507

Some good points guys and i thank everyone who weighed in, i appreciate it.
I will never and i repeat NEVER get rid of my Rock Chucker, way way too many rounds got cranked out on that puppy for me to even think of dumping it. See thing is this : I dont want the progressive, the style that i reload with is i do everything in stages, one day this, the next day that. After a while if i slack off i have a coffee can full of belled and primed brass waiting for me. I figure with the turret at least once i start, i will start cranking rounds out from start to finish. I watched the videos of the guy doing it on Youtube but this guy was taking the belled case off the press and going to the powder hopper with it and coming back with it to seat the bullet. To me, that defeats the whole purpose of picking up speed. I want to throw the powder and seat the bullet while the round is still on the press. I will make better time that way, definetly not as fast as a progressive but faster than im doing now. I will use my uniflow on it and all should be good.
Once again thanks and sorry if i rambled a little, im getting old.