The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Memnok

Ever found a $20 in an old jacket?

As I have posted, I am getting back into reloading after about 15 years. For Christmas this year, I asked the wife for a new Lee 50th kit. As you can see, she came through:

When I got out of High School I purchased an RCBS Rock Chucker kit, and used it to reload .40 for my 2nd gen Glock. My brother used it once or twice to reload .243 too. When I found out that the police academy would not let me shoot reloads, I boxed up my stuff and stuck it away in the closet. I've been shooting on the department's dime ever since.

About 6 or 7 years ago my wife and I had a yard sale and I dug out all my old reloading gear. It did not sell, so I asked my brother if he wanted it. To the best of my recollection, I had given it to him.

But when I was cleaning out the shed today I came across an old, tattered box. To my surprise, look what I found inside:

MY ROCK CHUCKER KIT!!!!

It has a little surface rust in a couple places from 6 or 7 years of being in a damp shed, but it will clean up nice. I was mosr excited to see the 505 scale and powder measure. The RCBS Case Trimmer was a really nice addition.

• Does anyone know if I can convert this old press to the new quick change bushings?
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 12, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Tex S

Dude, there is no need to lie to us and say you "forgot" about all that reloading gear in the shed. Your wife may get mad if she finds out you were secretly trying to obtain 2 sets of reloading gear, but we don't care.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Memnok

Quote:
Dude, there is no need to lie to us and say you "forgot" about all that reloading gear in the shed. Your wife may get mad if she finds out you were secretly trying to obtain 2 sets of reloading gear, but we don't care.
Haha! If I was gonna spend the mulah on a second press, it would have been a turret press!
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 12, 2010, 02:46 AM   #4
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day, Try $2000.00, My father stashed it in his old coat pocket years earlier after selling his old Toyota Ute. He found it the week before he and mum were due to go to Europe for a holiday. Mum said she had nearly given the coat to the Salvos.
Old January 12, 2010, 02:57 AM   #5
HiBC

About your bushing conversion,if you choose,you may remove the top threaded bushing from your Rockchucker.They actually used larger bullet swaging dies in these presses(Rock Chuck Bullet Swage?)

You can buy a bushing that threads in to take lock-n-load bushings

So,now you have two setups:-)

You might look for a book by Glen D Zediker. "Handloading for Competition,making the target bigger"

wwwzedicker.com Self published.

He has some ideas about bench setup with 2 single stage presses
Old January 12, 2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

I inherited a massive old safe back in 1988 that had $12,700 cash in hundred dollar bills in it, plus a couple hundred or so more in smaller bills and coinage, but have never found a twenty in an old coat before.

SASS 47015
Old January 13, 2010, 12:59 AM   #7
5R milspec

12,700 and more in small bills and coins

boy I wish I cold just find the 20.and you ended up with a lot more.do you still have some to spare.and if so would you let me have some.I have a new project in mind.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:25 PM   #8
RustyNut

I hear what you are saying about the 505. I use it more than the Pact.