The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 10, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1
gsettel

Who made this Rifle for Wards.

I have a Wards, Western Field Model EJN-757, 30-06 and can find no refrance to this model in any of the tables for finding who made it? can any one help?
Old December 10, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Welcome to TFL, gsettel.

We have a research forum.
Old December 10, 2008, 10:42 PM   #3
SDC

This rifle was likely made by Mossberg for Western Field, as they made the majority of the rest of Western Field's rifles.
Old December 10, 2008, 10:44 PM   #4
ElectricHellfire

I'd be interested to know as well. I have one of these which I have had heavily customized. Oddly enough, Its one the best shooting rifles I own and that says something.
Old December 10, 2008, 10:51 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Quote:
This rifle was likely made by Mossberg for Western Field, as they made the majority of the rest of Western Field's rifles.
That's what I was thinking too. Might try checking with Vic Havlin at www.havlinsales.com (mossberg collectors assn. folks). If it was made by Mossberg he'll likely know and may be able to help with any spare parts you may need.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 10, 2008, 11:16 PM   #6
Jim Watson

You gots a picture?
Somebody here will likely be able to identify it by appearance.
There are things about a rifle action that a few cosmetic changes for a house brand will not cover up.
Old December 11, 2008, 12:08 AM   #7
dwwhite

My EJN 757 is built on a commercial Mauser action, which makes me believe that it's probably not a Mossberg. I have been told that it was manufactured by FN for Monkey Wards, and it is identical to photos of older FN's that I have seen.

Like some of the other posters, mine is no looker, with ugly wood, poor checkering, terrible wood to metal fit and a finish that ranges from deep blue to a plummy grey. However, it is the most accurate rifle that I own, more so than my Cooper .308.

Every year, I take it for it's annual mid October range trip. I love laying it down next to the $1000 plus rigs on either side and putting three shots inside of a quarter at 200 yards. "I guess it's zeroed" generally gets pretty nasty looks from most of the rest of the shooters on the line.
Old December 11, 2008, 12:53 PM   #8
ElectricHellfire

Quote:
My EJN 757 is built on a commercial Mauser action, which makes me believe that it's probably not a Mossberg. I have been told that it was manufactured by FN for Monkey Wards, and it is identical to photos of older FN's that I have seen.

Like some of the other posters, mine is no looker, with ugly wood, poor checkering, terrible wood to metal fit and a finish that ranges from deep blue to a plummy grey. However, it is the most accurate rifle that I own, more so than my Cooper .308.

Every year, I take it for it's annual mid October range trip. I love laying it down next to the $1000 plus rigs on either side and putting three shots inside of a quarter at 200 yards. "I guess it's zeroed" generally gets pretty nasty looks from most of the rest of the shooters on the line.
Couple of points:

1.) Mine is a Mauser action as well and Iv'e seen those looks you were talking about. I had mine redressed in a synthetic stock and had a new safety installed among some other things.
2.) Oddly, mine groups exceptionally well with off-the-shelf Winchester 180gr Silver tips rather than handloads of any type.
3.) I can tell you are from Texas because Ive not heard anybody else say "Monkey Wards" in a long time.
4.) Welcome to TFL!
Old December 11, 2008, 08:40 PM   #9
PAHOGHUNTER

J.c. Higgins

I have an old J.C. HIGGINS MODEL 50 in 270, it belonged to my DAD probably purchased in the 1950's. The action is clearly stamped FN ACTION MADE IN BELGIUM. I would think you may have a MAUSER action but if it is FN it would be clearly marked. I've heard many stories about who made these guns but none of the stories panned out. The trigger assembly on mine is a bit different in that the part of the trigger that you actually put your finger on is part of the trigger guard/floor plate assembly. I was kind of supprised when I took it a part and found it pinned to the trigger guard. The safety does not lend itself to scope mounting. The bolt is not much better it should probably be bent to give a little more scope clearance. I took it to the range with a 3x9 Burris scope and some hand loads and found it very accurate. Mine also has controlled feed.

Last edited by PAHOGHUNTER; December 12, 2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 11, 2008, 09:26 PM   #10
ElectricHellfire

Pretty interesting. You are right PAHOGHUNTER, I replaced the safety with a more traditional Winchester type, and the trigger is now a Timney. Luckily mine has a bent bolt handle so no problems there.

I hope someone can shed definative light on these rifles.
Old December 11, 2008, 10:43 PM   #11
TEDDY

id

there should be a model no.it will be long gun parts cat has house brands.
what is the no.??
Old December 12, 2008, 08:36 PM   #12
aerod1

I have a Westernfield 30-06 model number M732A and it was made by Mossberg. I feel reasonably sure youre is to. Mine is extremely accurate and I have taken a lot of deer with it. Mine has a Westernfield 3x9x32 scope on it and it still holds point of aim. I think they are great rifles.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old December 14, 2008, 04:39 PM   #13
ElectricHellfire

Model number on mine is 720 B EHM. Made in West Germany. Any ideas on the maker?
Old December 14, 2008, 05:01 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
I have a Wards, Western Field Model EJN-757, 30-06 and can find no refrance to this model in any of the tables for finding who made it? can any one help?
I don't have that listing but the EJN prefix is Colt.

Quote:
Model number on mine is 720 B EHM. Made in West Germany. Any ideas on the maker?
Again I don't have that particular listing but EHM is Mauser.
Old January 15, 2009, 06:40 AM   #15
peteeliot

mines an fn

I have looked at 2 others also fns. If you take it out of the stock you will probably find on the right side of the front ring below stock line the fn logo and made in belgium stamp. Also on the left front side of the front ring below the stock line the is some fn proof mark usually including a PV.
Old February 7, 2009, 09:46 PM   #16
TEDDY

EJN

EJN ward/western field harthorn made by colt.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:13 PM   #17
RJay

Both Wards and Sears sold rifles with FN Actions. The Sears rifles were FN Actions with H-S barrels, also stocked by H-S, I'm not sure about who barresled the Ward's FN Action. AFAIK the only Colt rifles sold by wards were the Colteer in .22
Old February 20, 2009, 04:30 PM   #18
peteeliot

fn made some of the actions, some others out there

My western field ejn-757 is definitely an fn and I have seen 2 others that were as well but there are some out there made by more nebulous entities like golden state arms, no one really seems to know where all there stuff came from, military as well as santa barbara action, others possible as well, according to wayne van zwoll.

But there is an interesting connection to colt rifles, around the same time colt was having rifles put together called the coltsman and for awhile the actions were fn and the rifles were being manufactured by harry sefried who holds some rather important patents regarding ruger 10-22s as well as m16. He was using a patented rifling process that resulted in 12 groove ratcheted rifling. That is what my western field has. i saw one of these colts at the range and there were some other similarities including the roll stamping on the barrel top anf the front sight fictures that made me conclude that my western fied was almost certainly barreled by the same firm that was ding the colt, most probably harry sefried.

One thing for sure that western field is a shooter!

Pete
Old February 20, 2009, 10:37 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

I seem to recall seeing on another forum that EJN model numbers are Colteers.
Old February 24, 2009, 08:38 PM   #20
TEDDY

??????????

I posted that a few posts back does any one read or are my post being ignored.I got it off Numricks cat listings
Old March 23, 2009, 06:21 PM   #21
Chak

I just recevied this weapon from my mother and was googling, came across your post. The site on the gun is stamped mossberg, so that's who I'd say the maker was. good luck
Old March 23, 2009, 10:09 PM   #22
James K
Member In Memoriam

Teddy, I am sure the guys did read your post, but the Gun Parts catalog list is not always reliable, so any other info may be useful also.

Jim
Old April 3, 2009, 10:22 PM   #23
publius

I think Husqvarna made some of the rifles for them or sears, or somebody surprising.