The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2000, 04:39 PM   #1
curious

I've heard people say they use them. From the people that do use them, would you tell me if they really do work that well? It takes me some time and a lot of elbow grease and a fair # of large patches to get my gun clean. Sometimes I use a wool mop too and I cannot see how the snake can remove all that dirt with a couple simple passes with a cleaning fluid. I wish it does cause I'd like something to make the cleaning go faster. Please convince me.
thanks
curious
Old June 15, 2000, 09:10 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Seen these advertised but felt they would be too messy for my guns. I use a facial tissue with WD 40 on the jag for the first pass to get rid of all the gunk. Later passes with a 'Tornado' gets the plastic and leading...bingo... a spotless bore!

Personally I have not used the BS so I could be biased. They are expensive over here too.

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)
Old June 16, 2000, 12:21 AM   #3
Swissrose

curious-
I had the same problem with my Winchester 1300, so I asked the gunsmith. The gunsmith gave me a boresnake. I still used the patches, cleaning fluid, and brush first, and then the bore snake. Last time that worked well.
Swissrose.