The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 22, 2017, 08:52 AM   #26
SansSouci

I used to carry a 4" Model 586. That was one heavy gun. And it was one of the first guns made right after S&W sold in the early 80's. It was an unreliable POS. I had to return it to the factory twice. Both times in FTF, they were catastrophic. I finally gave it away. I even paid the UPS fee to send it to my friend's FFL.

If I could get my hands on a P-239 in .40 S&W, I'd be a happy camper.
Old January 22, 2017, 09:06 AM   #27
HighValleyRanch

I had one of the early 585, no dash, 4" and used it for bullseye shooting.
Shot one of my highest slow fire scores with that revolver, 96!

That's 3" group at 50 yards one handed, single action!
Should have never sold that gun!
Old January 22, 2017, 10:10 AM   #28
Real Gun

Quote:
Does anyone still concealed carry a 4" revolver everyday?
The question could have as well have been "does anyone dress to conceal everyday?" Mostly, I think we scale the gun to the wardrobe instead of the inverse.

I like to carry a 4" concealed and I dress accordingly, but I find it increasingly difficult to source appropriate clothing for it. There is only so much you can do with a vest that screams "I am carrying". Camp shirts work pretty well in warm weather, but colder weather presents a greater wardrobe challenge. That is partly because the Chinese don't use two-way zippers.
Old January 22, 2017, 11:38 AM   #29
SansSouci

Real Gun,

You've asked the real question. Carrying any gun is like having a little kid with you. You have to pay attention 100% of the time. Not only does one carrying have to assure it's always concealed, one also has to be aware of his surroundings. Bad guys look for opportunities to take guns from good guys.

In LA and assuredly most urban areas, were someone to see a "concealed" gun on a good guy, I'm going with easy money that he's calling cops. Responding cops ain't gonna know whether the CCW carrier is a good guy, so they might just prone out the good guy until they know what they have. If cops can control, they'll win. With the sad upward trend of cop murders, I wouldn't blame cops for proning out someone suspected of carrying a handgun.

One of the easiest guns to conceal is a 1911.

When had to carry a revolver, if I had to stop on the way to work or on the way home, I'd stick it in my waistband.

4" revolvers were the most difficult to conceal.
Old January 22, 2017, 11:49 AM   #30
Pikie

Good question. I have been following before replying.

Having "cut my teeth" on six inch service .38's, then going to four inch .357's in the late Seventies, I say this: I still everyday carry. Always my LCP front pocket. During the Fall and Winter I also carry my S&W 65 4" in a well broken in Bianch pancake holster. A sweat shirt or flannel un tucked easily covers it. However as of the past few months, my Beretta PX4 full size is just as easy to conceal in a strong side owb snap on holster by Front Line. 18 shots of Federal 9mm 124 vs. six Federal .357 125? Too old to run. Must stay and fight. The 9mm is much easier to use despite over forty years of .357.

...no, I don't everyday carry a 4" revolver much anymore! Not saying it is not still the best manstopper, just saying what I prefer.
Old January 23, 2017, 12:21 PM   #31
SansSouci

Pikie,

Glad you're retired. I hope you enjoy every second of it.
Old January 24, 2017, 03:53 PM   #32
Remington 51

I walk my dogs almost every day in nearby woods for an hour or two. While open carry is legal, I prefer to conceal, even though I seldom see anyone.

It's more for dog protection from coyotes (yes, it's happened in broad daylight), the occasional bear (seen a 2-3 times/year) and the more rare cougar encounter (seen a 1-2 times/decade).

In winter, I 'll carry my favorite 1950 M&P in 5", or a 64-0, both in the lighter, tapered barrel. I like the Mernickle holster best for 4-5". I don't normally pack a 4"+ concealed in town. So it's EDC field carry with modest concealment.

In summer, I'll sport a 3", ranging from 60-10, a 13-3, an LCRx to a 696/44 SP. Prefer some version of the Askins Avenger pattern for a higher ride and easier warm weather concealment. I often pack a 3" concealed in town.
Old January 24, 2017, 06:46 PM   #33
samsmix

I finally quit carrying my 4" Smith & Wesson 15-3 just over a year ago...but I still carry it from time to time.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old January 24, 2017, 07:00 PM   #34
wpsdlrg

Not a 4", but I do EDC a 3" Smith & Wesson K-frame (model 64).....every day. 36 ozs, loaded.

No sweat with the right holster.
Old January 24, 2017, 10:17 PM   #35
bedbugbilly

I carrt OWB with either a shirt tail or jacket over it - just not comfortable with IWB carry. Normally, I either have my Smith Model 36 sub or sometimes my 36 3" - other times my 9mm Shield. BUT, I also sometimes carry my Smith Combat Masterpiece OWB in a Fobus holster - easy to slip on and off and it rides higher - good retention but still and easy draw if ever necessay. While heavier, I find it a very comfortable carry and it doesn't print
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Last edited by bedbugbilly; January 25, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old January 25, 2017, 08:56 AM   #36
rodfac

My regular, day to day (Carry Concealed - how's that Bob?!) revolver is a 3" Smith M60 J-frame...but I do pack a Smith M18 with a 4" tube for chores here on the farm. Given a garment with suitable length, most 4" or shorter bbl's are readily hidden from casual view. Grip length is the real determiner...hard to disguise that telltale bulge behind your hip [for those of us who carry in the 3-4 o'clock position.

Remington 51 wrote, and I agree....
Quote:
Prefer some version of the Askins Avenger pattern for a higher ride and easier warm weather concealment.
But siince I build all of my own holsters, for the most part they're open top Tom Threepersons types...the Avenger just has too much stitching and I get tired of the task before it's done! I does give a higher on the belt position, for concealment, tho making the draw movement more difficult.

Here are a cpl pics. First is with wife's M36-3", the 2nd is my M69 with its trademark 4-1/4" bbl. Both holsters, home-made. JMHO, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 25, 2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old January 25, 2017, 09:45 AM   #37
walks with gun

Nice rigs rodfac, always like the old Threeperson style.
Old January 25, 2017, 07:58 PM   #38
TraumaRN

Not everyday but my 4" REDHAWK conceals easily with a Simply Rugged pancake. My 1911 full size conceals almost as easy.
Old January 25, 2017, 08:51 PM   #39
treg

'Bout as soon as Mr. Ruger sees fit to introduce the GP44 with a 4" barrel I will be!
Old January 26, 2017, 02:36 AM   #40
XDforever

I've got a blued Ruger GP 100 4.2" barrel in .357 that I would love to conceal carry on occasion. It has that huge Hogue rubber grip on it. The grip does it's job of making shooting very enjoyable, but it also makes it super hard to conceal in an IWB holster. I have ordered an original Ruger compact grip. The one that has the wooden inserts. I am looking forward to getting it and putting it on to see if it will allow me to carry the revolver comfortably.

Joe
Old February 20, 2017, 10:41 PM   #41
deserted

No, but I do carry a 7.5" single action most of the time. Have for nearly fifty years. But, my lifestyle has changed somewhat, so I'm looking to get another one in 5.5 inch.
Old February 21, 2017, 08:39 AM   #42
9ballbilly

During most of 2016 I carried my 4" Security-six in a Simply Rugged pancake holster OWB. No problems, even though most of the year I wear cargo shorts and a T-shirt daily.

The only reason I switched is that I came across a good deal on a 3" Charter arms classic bulldog NIB (always liked this gun), and have been carrying it since around the first of the year.

I wouldn't hesitate to swap back to the .357 if I had a reason to.
Old February 21, 2017, 07:02 PM   #43
Siggy-06

I carry my 4" GP100 in a lovely paddle holster. It even conceals well on my narrow frame with the stock hogue grips. I have Altamonts on the way though.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:35 AM   #44
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

"Long barrrel" revolver carry

I retired after carrrying a Colt Commander .45 for over 30 years. I tapered off to mostly packing a lightweight two-inch S&W or Colt .38 for the next few years. I found a Colt Cobra with four-inch barrel. It concealed nicely, with the longer barrel pressing against my hip and pushing the butt into my side. It was satisfactory for a while, until I began thinking that a little more capacity might be in order.

I now carry a 9mm most days, either a Glock 19 or an S&W Shield.
Old February 23, 2017, 10:05 AM   #45
Real Gun

Quote:
No, but I do carry a 7.5" single action most of the time. Have for nearly fifty years.
Unable to form a mental picture of how that would work, the operative word being "concealed". Maybe a pic?
Old February 23, 2017, 10:38 AM   #46
shafter

I don't anymore, but I used to carry a Smith Model 10 with tapered barrel from time to time. I used a high ride belt holster with a thumb break. It printed remarkably little.
Old February 24, 2017, 05:27 PM   #47
BlackLabsMatter

Yes, my GP100. The "Ruger Shop" Bianchi IWB does the job but I do need to upgrade.

If it had a hint of cant and a more rigid shape, I wouldn't Even feel it on the hip.

Never understood why people think you can't conceal anything larger than a j frame.
Old February 26, 2017, 01:40 PM   #48
Real Gun

Quote:
Never understood why people think you can't conceal anything larger than a j frame.
I find that partly because so few holsters have the degree of forward cant necessary, pointing the grips sufficiently vertical. There are also guns in that larger category with square butt grip frames that were intended for open carry, mostly cop, hunting, or historic replica guns.

Now the gun's weight is a different matter, as is the muffin top or worse in ones physique that makes belt carry uncomfortable or even makes pocket carry the only acceptable option.
Old February 26, 2017, 01:50 PM   #49
Siggy-06

The right holster and properly fitted gunbelt make all the difference. My safariland holster's paddle helps a little bit with weight distrubution along with my belt. At 170 pounds and a 34 waist, my GP100 disappears under just an untucked shirt. Carry on.(literally)
Old March 7, 2017, 02:52 PM   #50
jad0110

Not currently, due to lower back issues I've been having. I used to nearly every day (S&W Model 19 or 28), but haven't lately. I've been carrying lighter weight guns these days, my S&Ws SD9VE and 642 in particular (adding an M&P9 Shield too).

Once I get my back into shape again (it's nothing serious), I hope to carry my all steel revolvers and 1911s again (S&W 686+ 3", 629 3", 5" 1911s mainly). Maybe not every day, I'm getting used to carrying that light SD9, but overall I do prefer a full sized, 3 or 4" revolver.