The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Sphawley

Beretta 3901

I probably should not have attempted this in the first place, but I took apart my 3901 and I am having trouble getting it back together. I know how everything fits together and functions, I just cannot seem to get the srping back into the stock and get the screw all back in at once.

Is there a trick to this? The spring is pretty long and somewhat strong and is a struggle to manuver it back into the tube and screw down the cover. Tried for a while this afternoon and made no ground. Any advice on how to get it done myself?

If I have to I will take it to the gun smith, but I would like to fix this myself if possible.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
TheSILENTtype

sounds off to boot. how new is this gun?

you can always give a shot at a soft rag under pliers with a push downward to get enough pressure.
i do have that model here. if you dont have any luck or a better suggestion send me a message. i will jump on webcam and strip/reassemble mine with you to see whats going on.

more than likely someone else will have encountered this and know off the bat.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
Sphawley

Gun is not new, probably has around 15,000 rounds through it...

Took the stock off today and that spring is being a real pain, I may take you up on that web chat if nobody else has any answers...
Old September 13, 2012, 11:52 PM   #4
TheSILENTtype

del.

Last edited by TheSILENTtype; September 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
TheSILENTtype

how far was it ejecting loads prior to disassembly?
Old September 13, 2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Sphawley

Im assuming this would be unrealted whether the barrel was on or off.

Im talking about the spring in the stock that is used for the gas system...

It was ejecting shells anywhere from 3-4 ft, just like always...
Old September 14, 2012, 12:07 AM   #7
TheSILENTtype

Alright, checked it out.

The recoil spring needs to be replaced on some sort of basis. like most other things in exsistance it weakens with use.
Some people advise replacing it every 5k rounds, some say 10k.

A damaged or soft spring will allow the bolt to come back too fast when discharged and surely will result in damage to both blt/rcvr.

I would say at this point if getting your spring nice and 'wet' and giving it a good cleaning doesnt help, and if it looks or appears off in any way...ditch it.
I mean, it's due for a swap now anyways text book wise.

You can pickup a new spring or even a specific spring kit specified to avoid having to do this as often online or common place in alot of LGS'.

As far as 'just getting it together for now' goes, I would certainly try to lube and grease that sucker up, put a pin of somewort so you can get a decent grab on it and try to compress it in to place until it takes.

but for an entire kit online incl. shipping at 34$ for a problem that is likely envitable anyways....
Old September 14, 2012, 12:09 AM   #8
TheSILENTtype

Del.

Last edited by TheSILENTtype; September 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old September 14, 2012, 12:14 AM   #9
TheSILENTtype

Del.

Last edited by TheSILENTtype; September 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old September 14, 2012, 04:17 AM   #10
Orphanedcowboy

Easy way to put the spring back in is with a phillips screwdriver and a nail. Feed the spring into the tube as far as you can, then on the other end, insert the screwdriver and push into the spring until it is flush with the tube, now use the finish nail and put it in the hole in the tube, remove the screwdriver, replace stock bolt, remove nail.
Old September 14, 2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Sphawley

Quote:
Easy way to put the spring back in is with a phillips screwdriver and a nail. Feed the spring into the tube as far as you can, then on the other end, insert the screwdriver and push into the spring until it is flush with the tube, now use the finish nail and put it in the hole in the tube, remove the screwdriver, replace stock bolt, remove nail.
So how do you remove the nail once it's inside the butstock? There is not much room in the manuver at all.

I will also look into a spring replacement, however I think the spring is in great shape and definetly tight...
Old September 14, 2012, 03:09 PM   #12
TheSILENTtype

if its in good shape, like i said before and was just suggested.. stick some type of pin in the end ' a nail as suggested is a good plan ' and get her in!

IMHO spring in these that look fine can still have had their day.. if you checkout the beretta breakdown for this model online, you will see in the pics the old vs new spring looks very similar.. if not the same. only difference was the fit and performance.

I did a strip this morning and had no issue getting it back in. However mine has only has 300 loads through it.

And spring replacement are notoriously reccomended for these at any rate, which was a big issue in the model previous, also.
Old September 14, 2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Orphanedcowboy

The hole is thru the recoil action tube, once the screw is started, pull the nail out.
Old September 15, 2012, 01:25 AM   #14
Sphawley

Quote:
Alright, checked it out.

The recoil spring needs to be replaced on some sort of basis. like most other things in exsistance it weakens with use.
Some people advise replacing it every 5k rounds, some say 10k.

A damaged or soft spring will allow the bolt to come back too fast when discharged and surely will result in damage to both blt/rcvr.

I would say at this point if getting your spring nice and 'wet' and giving it a good cleaning doesnt help, and if it looks or appears off in any way...ditch it.
I mean, it's due for a swap now anyways text book wise.

You can pickup a new spring or even a specific spring kit specified to avoid having to do this as often online or common place in alot of LGS'.

As far as 'just getting it together for now' goes, I would certainly try to lube and grease that sucker up, put a pin of somewort so you can get a decent grab on it and try to compress it in to place until it takes.

but for an entire kit online incl. shipping at 34$ for a problem that is likely envitable anyways....
Where is the best place online to buy these??

The Beretta website only sells parts packages for $178. Where do you guys buy your specific parts, or the cheaper parts packages? Im not a super cheap ass but $178 seems a little over top...
Old September 15, 2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Orphanedcowboy

Brownells has the factory springs and they are way less than $34