The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 12, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
mattfett

Anschutz 1827 question...

I'm seriously considering buying an Anschutz 1827 Fortner Sprint Biathlon rifle. I don't compete, and I probably never will, but I love Olympic quality guns. I shoot often, and really enjoy 22's. I already own a Pardini SP and a Morini CM84E (both Olympic pistols), and they are works of art. I've been putting money aside for my next purchase, and I've always been facinated by those Biathlon rifles. I've saved up enough already, but before I order it, I was hoping someone here might have some experience I can call on. The rifles aren't shipped with a rear sight. I've found the correct rear sight (Model 6827), but is there anything else I need? I've come across a bunch of adjustable irises, metal aperatures, and so on... are they needed? I don't mind buying them if they are, I just want to be able to take the gun out and shoot it when I get it. I've spent a lot of time researching, but there is so little specific information on Biathlon rifle accessories out there. The accessories themselves are easy to find, but I'm sorry to say I just don't know what they're all for. What I want is pretty much the exact same rifle used in the Olympics, with the same sights and so on...minus the back sling, of course. I'd appreciate any imput you guys have.
Old February 12, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
doofus47

I have no idea what all optic options come with an Anschutz. I have a bunch front sight options and an orange iris that came with my Lakefield\Savage. If you're just shooting for fun, you should get a the larger apertures and just use them like ghost rings.

A bunch of the local biathletes shoot Anschutz. I'm not sure what model, but I think that they are all 1827s. None of them complain about their rifles; I can't see you complaining about yours either. Of course, after you drive a Ferrari, everything else feels pedestrian by comparison....

I'm not sure what types of accessories you're looking at. So I"ll list a couple of biathlon accessories and if you are looking at something different, let me know:
1. y-shaped carrying strap. This usually mounts to the stock via a t-shaped slot/bolt on the left side of the rifle stock.
2. handstop. Mounts under the stock. It helps you lock your hand against something when shooting prone.
3. Arm cuff. You put this around your left bicep. It connects to the handstop via the strap.
4. strap/hook. Connects to the handstop. You put the hook end to to cuff. By tightening this between the handstop/strap/cuff/arm, you make a triangle/tripod between your left arm and your right when shooting prone. There is usually a small elastic band that connects the hook to your butt stock so that the strap snaps back flush to the stock when the hook isn't connected to your arm.
5. buttplate/butthook. This enables you to hook the butt solidly into your right armpit when shooting standing and limit the movement of the rifle to the movement of your body.
6. Snow caps for barrel/sights. Self-explanatory.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Slamfire

Quote:
The rifles aren't shipped with a rear sight. I've found the correct rear sight (Model 6827), but is there anything else I need? I've come across a bunch of adjustable irises, metal aperatures, and so on... are they needed?
I shoot small bore with an Anschutz M54, a 1966 vintage rifle. Other guys on the firing line have Anschutz rifles ranging from my era to last year’s model.

Carl at Champion Shooters http://www.championshooters.com/ is a small bore competitor, been shooting small bore at Perry since the 60’s I think. He has everything you could possibly need for an Anschutz.

For target shooting I like the adjustable front aperature sights.

You buy a front sight like the Anschutz 6832 Front Sight, and screw in a Anschutz 9520 Adjustable Aperture 18mm. When the light changes you dial the aperature size up and down.

I am not using an Anshutz rear. I am using a Warner or I could use my Redfield International. I had to buy an adapter plate that fits on top of the Anschutz receiver, but then I can use the same rear sight I use on my match rifles.

REAR BASE FOR ANSCHUTZ TO ACCEPT REDFIELD TYPE REAR SIGHT
http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=648

Call Carl at Champion shooters or call Homer at Champion’s Choice.

Competition equipment is not cheap so expect to shell out some big bucks.
Old February 14, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4
mattfett

Thanks, guys...you were both of tremendous help. I ordered the rifle today, from Champion's Choice, along with the front sight 9746. I preferred the clear ring over the crosshairs. Also got a handful of other accessories. They had everything in stock, including the rifle, so hopefully I'll be enjoying it in the next few days. Once again...thanks for your expertise.

Tags
anschutz , biathlon