The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2010, 12:15 AM   #1
troy_mclure

blue dot, really dirty?

Is blue dot a really dirty powder?

I know its got some concussion/bang compared to the same load as bullseye.

I was shooting cast today and my brass is a mess, i was just wandering how much was lube and how much was powder.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 10, 2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Sport45

In my experience, Blue Dot really likes pressure. I had all kinds of unburnt powder and very erratic velocity when I tried using it in .38spcl. I may not have had enough roll crimp but never went back to try it again.
Old April 10, 2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Dustin0

Dirty I loaded some 45 ACP with it and there was unburnt powder every where. I still use it on 12 gauge mag. loads but gave up on pistol loads. I Like reddot for those.
Old April 10, 2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Scorch

Blue Dot is a magnum pistol/shotshell powder. It likes heavy bullets and heavy crimps with loads at or near max, it does not like popgun loads. I use Blue Dot for my 44 Mag with 240 gr jacketed bullets at near max loads and it works beautifully. I would never use it in 45ACP or 38 Special.
Old April 10, 2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Locoweed

It worked great in my S&W .500 mag pistols. Booooom! Not too dirty, either.
Old April 10, 2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Troy,

I don't know what you are loading with it? There is no velocity you can reach with Bullseye that won't be running at much lower pressure when you put in enough Blue Dot to reach that same velocity. When you said the same load, I wasn't sure if that's what you meant by "same"? If you meant same charge weight, then the Blue Dot may barely be kept burning. It's a way slower powder than Bullseye.

For example, in .45 ACP 5.0 grains of Bullseye produces about 16,000 psi and 850 fps with 230 hardball bullets. 5.0 grains of Blue Dot would reach only 5500 psi and 480 fps or so with the same bullet, assuming it didn't just go out and leave the bullet stuck in the barrel? About 60% gets thrown out of a 5" muzzle unburned. It would take about 9.4 grains to reach the same pressure (too low for clean burning Blue Dot) as 5.0 grains of Bullseye, and even then you would only add about 20 fps to velocity and still would throw about 1/3 away unburned. So, it roughly doubles your powder cost just to get more recoil, flash and blast, and probably get more erratic ignition and lower accuracy. That powder only shows well at magnum pressure levels.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle