The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum > TFL Photo Contest

View Poll Results: How would you prefer to see the use of text in the Monthly Photo Contest?
No text anywhere in the post. Let the photo compete without text. 20 32.26%
Allow a short sentence of text in the post (one line), but none added to the photo. 32 51.61%
Allow text in the post and on the photo. 10 16.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 16, 2009, 03:58 PM   #26
PDBreske

The disconnect with reality appears to be your belief that people will adhere to a rule that allows "Labeling the photo and info. about the gun...." I give that rule four posts into the first month before someone disregards it and two hours before that person is complaining that they should be allowed to write whatever they want to write.

That is reality.
Old August 16, 2009, 05:08 PM   #27
CraigC

If you're so against it, why have you added a descriptive line of text in every entry of yours that I've seen? You really think adding " Springfield Armory XD45 Compact Tactical" or "Robinson XCR-L 5.56 with Aimpoint Micro H-1 RDS", " Browning BPS "12 Iron" For the really rough stuff:", or "Savage 10FP .308 with Choate stock and Falcon scope" promotes bias???

Quote:
If no photo has any description, all the photos are judged on an equal basis.
I agree, total disconnect with reality. No photo here or anywhere else will be judged without bias. And yes, I freely admit to my bias. Guess what? Bias isn't against the rules but what you propose is exactly what I mean by taking the fun out of it.

Quote:
...there should be a means of establishing fair judging for all entries...
What, you want to censor our thought processes?

Quote:
You also flaunt your prejudice by saying you'd rather see mediocre pictures of a well-used gun than high quality shots of a Glock.
I never said mediocre, don't put words in my mouth. Yes, I give far more credit to an average shooter who is able to take a quality photo in an imaginative setting than a professional photographer like yourself taking one in a studio environment. That is my right.

Quote:
The disconnect with reality appears to be your belief that people will adhere to a rule that allows "Labeling the photo and info. about the gun...." I give that rule four posts into the first month before someone disregards it and two hours before that person is complaining that they should be allowed to write whatever they want to write.
Then why have any rules at all?
Old August 16, 2009, 10:26 PM   #28
PDBreske

Quote:
Yes, I give far more credit to an average shooter who is able to take a quality photo in an imaginative setting than a professional photographer like yourself taking one in a studio environment. That is my right.
I guess there's no use in discussing this any more, is there? With that logic, nothing I say will change your mind. So be it.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:32 PM   #29
CraigC

Quote:
...nothing I say will change your mind.
Not really. Studio-type photos just always look too......contrived. Maybe that's just me but I always preferred photos taken by gunwriters to those by Ichiro Nagata.
Old August 17, 2009, 08:37 AM   #30
PDBreske

Quote:
Studio-type photos just always look too......contrived.
Really? Do you have any idea how long it takes to set up one of these photos or do you just think expensive cameras and lights are magical in their ability to take a good photo with no effort on the part of the photographer?

At what point does the quality of an image go from a high-quality amateur photograph to contrived, professional artwork? Is it the location? Is the overall sharpness of the image that gives it away? Is it the lack of blown-out highlights? Is the precise control of shadows or focus?
Old August 17, 2009, 10:19 AM   #31
CraigC

Quote:
Do you have any idea how long it takes to set up one of these photos...
Uh, yeah! That's exactly what I mean by "contrived". The bottom line is that I can be thoroughly impressed with your skill as a photographer but the photo itself can leave me feeling, well....nothing. If it's "too" perfect or the subject matter is not inspiring, I move on. I'm passionate about firearms, shooting and hunting. I want a photo to take me back in time or to a far-off interesting place. I want it to make me want whatever it depicts. You know, stir my soul. I might be critical, but I'm not a "critic".

The difference between you and me is you put all your emphasis on producing the most technically perfect photo. I think your technical skill should be secondary and transparent. I want to be moved by the subject matter, not your photography skills.
Old August 17, 2009, 12:15 PM   #32
PDBreske

Quote:
I want to be moved by the subject matter, not your photography skills.
Then I suggest we change the title of the contest to "Pick Your Favorite Gun."
Old August 17, 2009, 12:28 PM   #33
CraigC

If that's really all you took from that post I'm definitely wasting my time on this discussion.
Old August 18, 2009, 06:37 AM   #34
Hawg

No text. Let the pic speak for itself.
Old August 18, 2009, 11:44 AM   #35
grymster2007

I'll be voting for the entries that most satisfy my highly subjective requirements for a good photo and I'll not be swayed by a line of text any more than I will by evidence of extensive PhotoShopping.

I personally don't like photos that appear as manufacturer's brochures and I don't like grainy cell-phone shots of Lorcin L25s laying on a cluttered garage bench, so I don't vote for them. But I think the point here was to have a fun photo contest, rather than a professional photo contest. To that end, I say keep the rules simple and few in number, let people post what they wish and allow the membership to sort it out in the polls.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:46 PM   #36
Charger Fan

Quote:
To that end, I say keep the rules simple and few in number, let people post what they wish and allow the membership to sort it out in the polls.
AMEN!
This is, after all, a gun site...not a photography site. Some of us are better at shooting bullets than we are at shooting pictures. Some (me) are good at neither, but it's still fun to play...however, too many rules may end up being a killjoy in the end.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:46 AM   #37
Bud Helms

Okay, it looks like option #2 won this poll:

Allow a short sentence of text in the post (one line), but none added to the photo.

So, we will have photos devoid of text, but a simple sentence of description will be permitted.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:22 AM   #38
PDBreske

Told ya

Here we are, the very first month of the new rules that you all voted on, and there is already a problem.

I wasn't going to say anything because it's down to a runoff and this is going to seem like sour grapes, but read Rule No. 4 and look at the entries.

Maybe they're not rules at all. Should we call them "suggestions?" Can I enter three photos next month? Think about it before you tell me to lighten up.
Old September 10, 2009, 03:52 PM   #39
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

A simple PM to just about any of the mods would have taken care of the "problem," yes?

Instead, you just had to get in your "I told you so" quip. So I'll say, just as publicly as you: Lighten Up, Breske.
Old September 10, 2009, 05:20 PM   #40
PDBreske

Quote:
Can I enter three photos next month?
Quote:
A simple PM to just about any of the mods would have taken care of the "problem," yes?
Since I didn't do it in a PM, does that mean I can enter three photos next month? I mean, as long as I do it and no one notices before the voting begins?
Old September 10, 2009, 10:58 PM   #41
PDBreske

To all who are following this, I apologize. I'm retarded.