The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 3, 2018, 12:58 PM   #1
bspillman

Police trade in glocks???

I’m not asking this question for any particular reason other than curiosity. I hear all the time the best bang for your buck so to speak is a police trade in glock 22. Now, I work in law enforcement and in my department I’m in a small group of Officers that shoot their issued 40 cal a whole lot with most officers only shooting theirs enough to qualify 2 times a year. With that being said I’d like to ask how many rounds owners have put through their police trade in glocks? Any failures? Thanks in advance.
Old June 3, 2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

I had a trade-in G19 years ago. It was an early gen3 (2 pin design, but gen 3 features). It was a great gun and I sold it to a friend who needed his first gun.

Glocks work well all the time and their customer service is top notch. If anything went wrong with it, just send it to Glock and they'll fix it all up at no cost. They're really good.
Old June 3, 2018, 03:47 PM   #3
MTT TL

I also had a police trade in Gen3 G22 for about ten years. I figure I fired roughly 2000 rounds through it. I can't recall a single malfunction. In fact someone gave a magazine once that they said was malfunctioning in their G22. I fired several full magazines with it without fail. Accuracy was just as good As NIB.

That was all factory ammo.
Old June 3, 2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Mosin44az

I have owned two G23 and one G22 trade-ins. Hundreds of rounds through each, no issues. If you buy from a store that lets you hand select, you can get one that is clearly almost new.
Old June 3, 2018, 05:23 PM   #5
Bimus

I bought a Glock 22 no problems I think it shot smother then a new one .
Old June 4, 2018, 12:09 AM   #6
Ibmikey

When I was running the firearms program for the PD we carried 40 cal Glocks, each officer (just over 100 sworn) was required to complete training successfully each quarter, all could shoot each training day if they wished to show up. We shot over 100,000 rounds each year so the pistols had high round counts come trade in time.....most officers preferred to purchase his old firearm at the trade in price.
Old June 4, 2018, 12:31 AM   #7
TunnelRat

I've shared this article before, might be some help:

http://looserounds.com/2014/09/30/bu...t-to-look-for/
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 4, 2018, 12:40 AM   #8
tallball

I may have overpaid. IIRC, I gave $280 for my police trade-in Glock 22. It came with the box and a spare magazine. It has some holster wear, but from looking at the barrel and rails, I don't think it was shot very much. I've put hundreds of rounds through it with zero problems. I believe that police trade-ins tend to be very good deals.
Old June 4, 2018, 01:36 AM   #9
TruthTellers

The only issue I've had in my Gen 4 Glock 27 is when I was using a 15 round mag and squeezed too hard with my pinky caused a feed issue. In 300 or so rounds, that's been the sole malfunction and I was testing it to see if it would malfunction.

But yeah, police trade in .40 Glocks are the most value for one's money when it comes to pistols.
Old June 4, 2018, 06:42 AM   #10
Road_Clam

I purchased a LEO trade-in G22 upper assembly other than the fact the finish was slightly worn off the slide at the muzzle from holstering the gun functioned perfect as Glocks always do.
Old June 4, 2018, 10:40 AM   #11
nanney1

I just purchased a trade in Glock 22 Gen4 a couple of weeks ago from GTdistributors. Very light holster wear on the slide and the internals looked new. Night sights still glowed. Probably 250 rounds without an issue. Federal, S&B, and Magtech range ammo and some Federal HST hp's.
Old June 4, 2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Fishbed77

I have a trade-in Glock 19 I've owned for about 4 years and have put thousands of rounds through. It makes a lot of sense to buy Glocks used if the price is right, because there's not much to go wrong with them and parts are inexpensive and easily acquired.

I always change the springs after purchasing used/trade-in/surplus pistols if I intend to shoot them. This particular Glock 19 had an NY1 trigger spring that I replaced with a standard trigger spring, as well as a broken slide stop that needed replacement (spring had lost all tension). This particular pistol (Gen 3 manufactured around 2002) had almost no holster wear and very little wear on the barrel.

Last edited by Fishbed77; June 5, 2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old June 5, 2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Chainsaw.

Get one, shoot it, replace any parts that need replacing, they're cheap and easy to install. Use good mags.

Pretty simple eh?
Old June 5, 2018, 09:35 PM   #14
Captains1911

I wouldn’t worry about one in the least. I would go ahead and spend $20 or so to replace the recoil spring assembly, striker spring, safety plunger spring, trigger spring, and extractor spring, just to be safe.
Old June 5, 2018, 11:26 PM   #15
2wheelwander

I bought a 22 LE trade in maybe 20+ years ago, carried it on duty myself, shot thousands over the years. Never a single hiccup. Still enjoy shooting it.
Old June 6, 2018, 05:47 AM   #16
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspillman:
I hear all the time the best bang for your buck so to speak is a police trade in glock 22.
IMHO the “bang for the buck” debate doesn’t favor the forty when you factor in the cost difference between factory 9mm and .40S&W range ammo. And of course it depends how often you shoot it, the price difference between my own decent used (Gen3) G17 and the decent used (early Gen4) G22 I once owned might be a $50-$75 advantage for the forty, which would evaporate in a hurry if you shoot the G22 on a regular basis. Which you probably should do anyway to maintain proficiency with the firearm.

Based on my own personal experience, I’d rather have my own decent used (Gen 4) G21 over the G22 I once had, all else equal, I’ll take .45 over .40 anyday, and the values of the respective guns and the ammo costs are pretty much a wash.