The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 1, 2018, 06:38 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

Springfield 911 Pistol

My wife is looking to buy the Springfield 911 in 380. Has anybody shot or bought this pistol? What are your thoughts on this either pro or con?
As always, all comments are welcome.

Doc
Old June 1, 2018, 07:08 PM   #2
lee n. field

Put a magazine's worth of rounds through one a couple weeks ago. It was OK, with a magazine with pinky rest base. Nicer to shoot than I thought it would be.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 1, 2018, 07:40 PM   #3
libiglou

Not to dissuade you but take a look at the sig 238 as well. Its a fantastic little gun that I could shoot all day. Reliable and accurate. The 911 looks like a direct copy. Hell you might as well look at the mustang and the kimber mircro's as well. They are all very similar
Old June 1, 2018, 08:23 PM   #4
Doc Holliday 1950

Mrs. Doc picked this one out not me.
It’s looks & feels solid, no plastic & the grips
are pretty snazzy looking.Also, trigger
placement is very important. She’s working with
a lady NRA instructor. Wish I’d thought
of that one in the beginning. If anyone remembers,
last year was a disaster. She finally picked the SR22
& then never carried or used it. I think setting her up
with a lady instructor was sheer genius & very lucky.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; June 1, 2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old June 2, 2018, 12:54 PM   #5
JMag1

I think the trigger on the 911 is G10. I looked one over, and liked it, but LGS dude didn't want to deal. I bought a Kimber Micro CDP, and have no regrets at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 3, 2018, 03:32 PM   #6
shaunpain

Springfield sent one over to me after winning a contest. I have not fired it yet, but it looks and feels great. I can have a range report after Monday!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old June 3, 2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Ugly.

Copy of a SIG P238, which is a copy of a Colt Mustang, which is a copy of a Spanish ,380.

I'll take the Colt.
Old June 6, 2018, 01:04 PM   #8
HisSoldier

Quote:
I think setting her up
with a lady instructor was sheer genius & very lucky.
It's a bit sad that someone can't learn from someone of a different gender, and I admit some of us guys wouldn't accept advice from a woman, and she may be able to shoot rings around us! Still, getting the training is the important thing.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old June 6, 2018, 07:51 PM   #9
shaunpain

Following up on my earlier post, I took the 911 out on Monday and it was just fantastic. I don't have a ton of experience with .380s but it is easily my favorite so far. Very accurate, great trigger, fantastic sights and fits my hands perfectly. My brother commented how much he liked it and may purchase his own. Our LCPs are crap compared to the 911!
Old June 7, 2018, 11:40 PM   #10
Ibmikey

Shawn, I own a P238, Kimber Micro, Mustang and a dozen Star DK’s love em’ all and each is very controllable when shooting I would expect no less from the Springfield as it is the same basic design. While at the LGS the other day I was able to inspect the Springfield and except for the shape of the trigger guard I like it a lot. The shop had it priced higher than I wished to pay so the wad of dough went on a Sig P 938 to replace my SAS model given to my buddy a few days earlier. The 938 is an ultra controllable, ultra concealable no nonsense
Pistol that one should not expect from something in such a small, package.

Last edited by Ibmikey; June 7, 2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old June 8, 2018, 05:00 PM   #11
tallball

Nice choice! I have the slightly larger Colt Government 380. The recoil is squat. My daughter was shooting it when she was eight or nine years old, and she very much dislikes recoil. It's accurate and fun to shoot. Good job on choosing a lady instructor and letting her figure things out on her own.
Old June 9, 2018, 07:43 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Doc - Glad the wife is working with a woman instructor - not being sexist but for many women, that would probably make them feel more comfortable. I had a woman instructor when I took my CCW class in
az a number of years ago - she took a portion of us for the range qualifications.
she was a sharp lady . . . and I'm not referring to looks . . . . and even though I've been shooting a long time, I learned a t from her. You're never too old to learn.

Anyway, if your wife gets the Springfield 911, I'd like to hear what you both think of it after a couple of range sessions. I normally carry a 38 or a 9mm but have started reloading .380 again and wouldn't mind having a pocket pistol to carry once in a while. Yea, I know there are Kimbers, Colts, Sigs and all of that - that Springfield looks like a sharp looking pistol and I'd like to hear how it works with different ammo as far as reliability, etc.

Good luck to Mrs. Doc . . . I'm glad she found an instructor that she's comfortable with.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 10, 2018, 05:18 PM   #13
dgludwig

The May issue of the American Rifleman magazine did a full test on the Springfield 911 pistol and made some interesting observations and summations.