The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 31, 2018, 05:39 AM   #1
publius42

Shopping List Questions

So I was looking over a gun shopping list that I found here:

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...-bill-text.pdf

And I was overcome with a desire to own a TEC 22 with a threaded barrel. I had never heard of one before, but this is how I shop.

So now I'm wondering a few things:

Is this a good gun?

The ads I see reference "pre ban" guns in some cases. I don't know which ban they are talking about but my default instinct is to want to go around any ban. What's the difference?

And finally, would I get in trouble asking these questions on the semi-auto handgun forum because of my shopping list?
Old May 31, 2018, 08:06 AM   #2
Ricklin

Am with Ya!

I like the shopping list concept, bravo.

If you are serious the TEC line of semi autos? Pretty much Ghetto Blasters IMHO. Cheap semi autos that were built to a price point.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:02 AM   #3
zukiphile

Quote:
Is this a good gun?
No. But....

I thought adoption of the 10/22 magazine system was smart, and they missed something by not marketing a carbine based on the design.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:08 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Other than using a proposed bill as your shopping list, I don't see a legal, or civil rights question here.

Moved to Semi Auto handguns...
Old May 31, 2018, 10:26 AM   #5
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
‘‘(v) A semiautomatic version of an auto- matic firearm.
that would be a Glock.
Old June 1, 2018, 06:03 AM   #6
publius42

OK, so not a great gun, I gather.

Sticking with the same shopping list, I want something in .22lr that's good quality. Any recommendations?
Old June 1, 2018, 06:51 AM   #7
DaleA

There seemed to be a rash of 'suppressor ready' .22LR a year or so ago that I think was anticipating the lifting of suppressors from the $200 tax stamp requirement. I think the legislation lifting suppressors from the list has gone into hibernation but if you want to be hopeful about it maybe get a threaded Ruger Mark IV or a threaded S&W Victory.

https://ruger.com/products/markIVTactical/models.html

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...hreaded-barrel
Old June 1, 2018, 07:24 AM   #8
MTT TL

Other than rocking it Miami Vice Style the Tec line up are all terrible. Their flagship model the Tec-9 was abysmally bad with minute of barn accuracy and a receiver that would crack if bullet weights over 115gr were used. (But there is 100mph tape for that).

The 22 was the plinker version to this awful gun. I won't shed a tear if they are banned, but I wish all bad guys would arm themselves with them.

Edit:
I notice she also wants to ban the HiPoint Carbine by name and something called the FN M2495 (possibly M249S?). Tough to say but barrel shrouds are definitely back on the list of evil features.

Last edited by MTT TL; June 1, 2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old June 1, 2018, 05:14 PM   #9
publius42

Thanks for the recommendations, Dale.

I am interested in a threaded barrel and suppressor. Mostly to irritate the author of my shopping list, I admit.

My wife has a Ruger 10-22 with a telescoping stock, which is specifically included in the shopping list, so we've already got that one covered. I've been very impressed with the gun so maybe another Ruger in our arsenal of assault weapons?
Old June 1, 2018, 06:27 PM   #10
MTT TL

You could just take the one you have and get it threaded. It would save you some money for a different gun and kill two birds with one stone.
Old June 2, 2018, 03:48 AM   #11
publius42

That one is my wife's and I'm not sure she wants it threaded. Besides, I want an assault weapon of my own.

I do have a .22 with a fixed tube magazine, which is an assault weapon according to the proposed definition in the FL legislature. But it's specifically exempted from the shopping list above, so threading it would be no fun.
Old June 5, 2018, 04:18 AM   #12
publius42

After further consideration, I'm pretty sure I want the S&W Victory .22 with threaded barrel as my next assault weapon.

I do not, however, want a suppressor.

Instead, I want to mount a flower on the thread protector, so my assault weapon will look like this:

Except I want a yellow and white flower, not a pink one. An assault weapon should be kinda masculine.
Old June 5, 2018, 08:15 AM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

The Victory, Buckmark, Ruger MkIV are all lovely semi-auto pistols with threaded barrels but they are not, for the moment, assault weapons as they are pistols with the magazine inside the grip and the antis aren’t ready to try biting off that chunk yet.

The TEC series is crap. It was designed to sell to people who prized looks over performance at a cheap price. If you want an “assault weapon” .22LR pistol, then I’d look at a Ruger Charger (10/22 pistol w/threaded barrel) or a .22 AR pistol. If you want a 90s themed assault .22LR pistol that Feinstein hates, the Calico with ts hex mag is an interesting toy; but pay attention to muzzle discipline with it.
Old June 5, 2018, 08:22 AM   #14
MTT TL

Haven't seen a Calico in a long time. Are they still made?
Old June 5, 2018, 12:11 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

No, I don’t think they’ve been made in decades. I can’t remember the last time I saw one; but they pop up used now and again. I can remember one going bang when the owner was using the bolt to try and empty the 100rd hex mag faster; but that was at least 25 years ago.
Old June 5, 2018, 09:16 PM   #16
publius42

Quote:
The Victory, Buckmark, Ruger MkIV are all lovely semi-auto pistols with threaded barrels but they are not, for the moment, assault weapons as they are pistols with the magazine inside the grip and the antis aren’t ready to try biting off that chunk yet.
I'm pretty sure they're ready to try. My shopping list says, in relevant part:

Quote:
(36) The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means any of the following, regardless of country of manufacture or caliber of ammunition accepted:
(D) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any 1 of the following:

‘‘(i) A threaded barrel.

‘‘(ii) A second pistol grip.

‘‘(iii) A barrel shroud.

‘‘(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
So the Victory in .22 is not an assault weapon, but with a threaded barrel it becomes one. And with a big, silly flower screwed onto the barrel, it becomes a funny one. To me, anyway.
Old June 6, 2018, 07:45 AM   #17
MTT TL

I must admit I have not seen many pistols with "a second pistol grip". I am not even 100% sure what they are talking about.
Old June 10, 2018, 07:13 AM   #18
publius42

I think they're talking about assault weapons like this:

But I want a more photogenic assault weapon.

Instead of a tacky plastic flower threaded onto the barrel, I'm thinking of going with sliver plate. Something like this.

That one is kind of plain but I looked at a more ornate and fancy one and it seems too fragile and just wrong for an assault weapon.
Old June 10, 2018, 07:27 AM   #19
MTT TL

Quote:
I think they're talking about assault weapons like this:
AH, ok I was wondering. Since I am too cheap to spring for an AOW permit I will have to stick with the one pistol grip.

The added bonus of the flower gun is that it should make a pretty blast pattern in the dark.
Old June 10, 2018, 08:10 PM   #20
1hogfan83

Since my CZ 75 came with a bayonet does that make it an assault weapon? I wouldn't want to break any laws.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old June 11, 2018, 05:49 AM   #21
publius42

I thought you were kidding but looked and found a pic of your assault weapon with a bayonet. It looks silly, but not as silly as a flower on a S&W Victory 22.

But that's not why your gun is an assault weapon. Look at the last line of the definition from my shopping list. You own a semiauto version of a full auto gun.

Here's a video of one firing full auto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34mIK6PhpE
Old June 24, 2018, 04:24 AM   #22
publius42

Woo hoo! I got my wife to see the comedy in the S&W .22 Victory assault weapon with a flower on the thread protector.

Laughing at it is very close to agreeing that I should buy it!