The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 30, 2018, 10:55 AM   #1
taylorce1

6.5X55 build, need help with pattern stock.

I have a HVA 1640 action and Albright trapdoor butt plate that I'm using for the basis of this build. I've already added a Dakota 3 position safety and have a Timney trigger that'll I'll be using as well in this build. I don't have a barrel yet but I'm thinking of using a M70 FWT contour barrel, and let the smith cut it back to where the rifle balances nicely. I'm hoping it'll end up somewhere between 20-22".

Here is my basic parts, disregard the Canjar SS trigger Hooligan1 talked me out of it.

Here are the three stocks I have to build my pattern with, I figure if I screw up I'll have something to start over with at least. I have about $70 invested in all three stocks. I know I'll need the barrel installed on my action before I can properly build my pattern stock.

Old April 30, 2018, 11:16 AM   #2
taylorce1

These factory and military small ring 98 stock are a long way from where I want to be. I kind of want a hybrid of three stocks I've found.

I love the forearm on this one as I want to keep a Schnabel on the forearm of the stock.

I want the cheek piece on this rifle (HVA 1640), and I really like the overall lines of the whole butt stock as well.

They also removed the bolt release on this one and I'm thinking of doing the same.

This is another butt stock I love, and it has a similar butt plate to what I'll be using.

I know building a stock that's a combo of the above three rifle stocks will be huge undertaking by a complete novice as myself. I have no clue as how to properly layout a stock like this or really where to start. So any words of advice, pointers, and overall encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 30, 2018, 11:58 AM   #3
tobnpr

I'm sure there are others dedicated solely to stockmaking, but Dunlap's book has about 100 pages on it and is fairly detailed.

If you're not set on doing it all with your own hands, it's far simpler, faster, and much less risky to cobble together a pattern stock with glue and bondo- then send it off to be duplicated onto the desired wood blank.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 30, 2018, 12:17 PM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobnpr
If you're not set on doing it all with your own hands, it's far simpler, faster, and much less risky to cobble together a pattern stock with glue and bondo- then send it off to be duplicated onto the desired wood blank.
That's the plan build a pattern then have it duplicated. Thanks for the book suggestion.

Is this the book you're referring to?

Last edited by taylorce1; April 30, 2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old April 30, 2018, 04:07 PM   #5
tobnpr

^^^
Yes, real classic on smithing. 1950, in the heyday of military sporters which is a large portion of the content.

Cheekpiece, for example, could be a separate piece shaped as desired and just glued in place on the pattern where it fits you correctly. Just put together a Frankenstein- cut, glue and piece together until you get it where you want it. If you change your mind, remove too much material, etc. just build it back up with bondo or light fairing epoxy (keep it easy to sand) and do-over.

Get the action area to the correct dimensions using the Husqvarna stock you already have- meaning match the dimensions of the depth of the stock front/rear of the action and tang area so that the inletting/magazine will mate correctly to the bottom of the action. The dimensions of that area are critical, everything else is up to you.

Since you already have the stock with the correct inletting, no reason to mess with that at all.After the stock is cut, your pattern stock would be removed from the duplicator, and the Husqvarna stock used to transfer the inletting over to the new stock.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 30, 2018, 05:19 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I don't have any advice to share for getting it done, being an amateur myself.
But I have seen quite a few patterns. They don't have to be pretty, and sometimes don't even need to be made from anything better than pine.

The local gunsmith that I like talking with recently built up a pattern for a custom Ruger 77 Mk II with a Mannlicher-style stock.
For the pattern, he chopped a nasty Ruger stock just behind the trigger guard, glued some scrap hardwood to extend the fore-end, and pinned on a shotgun butt stock that was blended into the wrist and pistol grip. The barrel channel was roughed, but not fully inletted. The cheek piece and pistol grip were built up in Bondo. And then everything was covered with an automotive glazing compound before sanding and painting to smooth the surface and try to keep the pattern stable.
Old April 30, 2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Scorch

Richards inlets for the HVA action, I just built a HVA rifle on one of their stocks a year ago. The Old Classic has the right lines, you would just need to make the grip area more swept.
Old April 30, 2018, 08:04 PM   #8
taylorce1

Scorch, how long did it take to get that stock? Last time I ordered something special from them it took almost a year to get. Since then I haven't ordered anything that wasn't on the bargains list.
Old April 30, 2018, 11:35 PM   #9
Scorch

Standard delivery time last time I ordered was 14 weeks. Showed up right on time.