The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 25, 2000, 04:35 PM   #1
Andrew Bornman

I picked this gun up for $25 at a garage sale, It is pretty beatup and is full of gunk. I would appreciate any help on take down I don't see any way to remove the trigger group without grinding off a rivet and then replacing it.

Any other info would be nice too.
Old August 26, 2000, 05:45 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Andrew:
I am sending, by separate email, a blow up and parts list on the 187 series. I don't have the assem/disassem, but the blow-up may provide the information you need.

HJN
Old September 3, 2000, 01:15 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Andrew and Harley---
Let me see----
I'm pretty sure this rifle is essentially the same as the Stevens-Springfield Model 87, which is my point of reference. If wrong, it won't be the first mistake I've made this week.

1. Make SURE it is unloaded. Lock the bolt open and under a good light shining into the ejection port, look into port and slowly withdraw the magazine inner tube with spring follower. You should be able to see the follower disappear as you take it out from the front. If you can not, there may be one or more rounds stuck in the magazine which can materialize at an inconvenient time. Use a cleaning rod or the like to pass down the outer tube and make sure you can see THAT from the port.

Once you have established for certain sure the magazine has no lurking cartridges,

2. Using a coin or broad blade screwdriver, unscrew the take down bolt from the underside of the stock, just far enough to disengage the barreled action from the stock. The bolt is designed to remain captive with the stock, though it can be removed by pulling and unscrewing at the same time. Remove barreled action from the stock. (You've probably already gotten this far.

3. Release the bolt, making sure no round chambers in the process. (Remember, they're easy to lose track of.) Pull trigger to release pressure on the striker.

4. Unscrew action cap at rear end of receiver. Keep it under control as you remove recoil spring and rear bolt assembly from rear. Cap is separate. Spring, guide and rear bolt are captive. Firing pin comes with rear bolt but is loose.

5, Removal of firing pin unlocked bolt handle, and it is withdrawn from right side of bolt.

6. Point muzzle upward and press trigger to rear to allow bolt to slide out to rear. If things are gummed up, tap rear of receiver with plastic mallet or wood block while holding trigger back until bolt is freed to be withdrawn from the rear.

7. Trigger assembly may be removed from receiver by use of an offset screwdriver to remove rear screw, and a conventional screwdriver to remove the front.

8. As you already noted, further disassembly of trigger unit requires destructive removal of various rivets. Unless there is an overriding reason to do so, I'd leave these in place and perform cleaning with pressurized solvents such as brake cleaners, or at a Safety-Kleen sink with appropriate brushes. In any case, don't forget to re-lubricate.

9. Cartridge lifter and stop assembly may be removed from front of receiver tube by removal of two screws, but, again, I'd recommend against it. Truthfully, I've never done this one, and would leave it alone unless you just had to.

I've already gone a lot further than I like to go, without spare parts on hand. From this point, you're on your own, and good luck to you.

Reassemble in more or less reverse order, as they say. Tip: Remember to pull trigger as you re- insert bolt. Bolt handle goes in with cutout at the top. THEN place firing pin into its cutout at top of rear bolt and replace whole assembly as a unit. Make sure the whole bolt assembly is forward before screwing receiver cap into place.

The above information was derived from examination of my Dad's old .22. He bought it at W. W. Guest Hardware Shop, Ryan, Oklahoma (run by his uncle Weldon) in, I think, 1946, when just back from the war. I was not quite three at the time, and had to wait a couple of years to shoot the rifle. It was the first gun I ever fired, and the first with which I took ANY game..

This one says on top of the barrel, "SPRINGFIELD J. Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls, Mass U.S.A. MODEL 87A" in front of rear sight.
On left side of barrel, running below rear sight, in one line
CAL. 22 LONG RIFLE SMOKELESS GREASED ONLY in block italics.
On right side of barrel, below rear sight, in timy letters,
PATENT 2094577
OTHERS PENDING

At right rear of receiver tube, above the sliding safety catch,
>>>-SAFE--> with arrow pointing toward muzzle.

The only other marking is inside the trigger guard, scratched "L W G" for Lewis William Guest, and which makes this $50 rifle worth 2.7 million dollars in this household.

Best regards,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old July 11, 2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Pyrokenetica

my 187s

I got one these, it was my grandfather's. It's a Springfield 187S though....and I got all the way to the part about unscrewing the action cap when I stumbled onto this problem....The safety mechinism is attached to it...It obviously won't turn unless it's somehow disconnected from the cap. So could I get a hand with this from someone please? Trying to attach a photo to give a better idea at what I'm talking about, cross your fingers!
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0992.jpg (113.5 KB, 795 views)
Old July 12, 2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Hawg

That's a different setup from my 187B. Looks like a screw holding the actuator and a c clip holding the safety button to the plug. Looks like you could remove the actuator screw and unscrew the plug with the button still in place.
Old July 13, 2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Pyrokenetica

.....its actually more of a flat piece of metal, I wish it was a screw...I think that it's connected directly to the safety.
Thanks for superquick response..I know there has to be a way...I just can't find it anywhere on the net...found a gunsmith so wish me luck
Old July 13, 2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Wleoff

Here's a 187N, which was one of my father's rifles. It has a Springfield scope on it. When the action cycles, it reminds me of the twang of an AR15 cycling.

The Springfield and Savage 87 and 187s are all the same design. Check under the Savage section of the RimfireCentral Forum for several posts on these rifles: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=24
Old July 13, 2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Hawg

That's a nice one Wleoff. Same design true but there have been changes over the years. Here's the safety setup on my 187B.
Old December 24, 2009, 12:30 PM   #9
bwiley

hey yall

im at my grandmas for christmas this year and she and my dad found his old savege 187j...when they were teenagers my uncle took it to the beach and got some sand in it. Its in great condition beside that. So i really need to dissasemble it...and then hopefully re-assemble it. Any tips? Diagrams? how to's? a dissasemble model?!?!
thanks guys
Bwiley
Old January 23, 2010, 11:08 PM   #10
motofabio

Funny how people don't even read what's already posted.