The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 10, 2018, 02:16 AM   #51
Sgt127

[QUOTE=44 AMP;6618818]
Quote:
Perhaps you might add some qualifiers to that statement? Like which .357 Magnum you are comparing your Sig to??
Quote:
The P239 has slower bore axis and the slide eats up a lot of the recoil energy.
Any .357 Magnum revolver with any bullet weight. There is a magic spot between my thumb and index finger that a hard recoiling revolver nails every time.

Revolvers, for me, torque to the left a little smacking the bone on the top of my thumb. Add the higher bore axis and the fact that my hand eats all the recoil....the semi auto works better.

I own more .357 Magnum revolvers that anything. I grew up with them. I think it’s the single most versatile handgun ever made. But, with stout loads, it gets tiring shooting them.
Old June 10, 2018, 11:42 AM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Any .357 Magnum revolver with any bullet weight.
Thanks for the explanation. This still covers a huge range of territory, but I understand, your hands are not my hands...

Do you have the same problem with SA revolvers, too?
Heavy .357 loads are painful in some guns, the heaviest can't be fired in some guns. Grip shape, size and material all matter, along with the weight of the gun. AND, everyone of us is different.

When you say "tiring", to me, that means short of actually painful. Everyone is different, and I understand some (a lot, actually) of us aren't human machine rests that can go 500rnds in a session without fatigue.

For stout loads, I prefer heavy pistols, and rubber grips. For me, the problem of the gun "biting" shows up at about .44 Magnum levels. A S&W M29 with the stock factory grips and full house loads is NOT pleasant to shoot. Same gun, same loads, Pachmayer grips, is a LOT better. Same loads from a Ruger Super Blackhawk is better yet.

A S&W M28 with loads in the 1600fps range is a chore, and it does get tiring, pretty quickly, but its not painful FOR ME, like the .44 is.

I have several semiautos in the .44 Magnum power class, bigger and heavier than revolvers in the same range. What I like most about shooting them is that their grip shape changes the feel of the recoil to something different from either the DA or SA revolver, and more tolerable to shoot with heavy loads. I get that, many people don't.
Old June 11, 2018, 12:23 AM   #53
Cosmodragoon

Sgt127, does your revolver have an exposed backstrap? I'm not sure if this is part of the problem for you but I've always found that to be a source of discomfort with magnum ammo. It's an almost perfect mechanism for delivering shock from the frame to my carpal tunnel. If you have a modern L-frame like the 686, it can probably wear the cushy X-frame grips that are designed for shooting super-magnums. It makes .357 magnum a real kitten!
Old June 11, 2018, 06:05 PM   #54
aroundchicago

Love the .357 Sig. I have a Glock 23 and bought a .357 Sig barrel from Glock. Drops right in. Find myself shooting 125 grain HST’s and Gold Dots. Targetsports has great pricing on .357 Sig ammo btw. Love a nice .357 mag revolver but in my converted G23, you get a capacity of 16 rounds of a powerful cartridge in a compact package. What’s not to like? My only complaint is .357 Sig is loud.
Old June 12, 2018, 07:30 PM   #55
Sgt127

I’ve been shooting revolvers for over 40 years. The single most miserable revolver I’ve ever shot is a model 58 .41 Magnum with the hot loads.

Big heavy guns are better. But, there is a magic spot between my thumb and forefinger that takes the brunt of the recoil. The gun seems to torque counter clockwise for me and just nails that exact spot. And, it flat hurts. A nerve apparently runs right through there.

Rubber grips help. But, I have dainty little girl hands. Add enough padding and I can’t grip it properly.

If the recoil came straight back, the web of my hand could take it. It’s when the horn of the backstrap (or grips) twists in, it hurts.

I’ve shot .357, .41 and .44 for so long, I remember the web of my hand bleeding. Maybe it’s a cumalitive effect.

Single actions don’t hurt. The gun rolls up.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2AECCEA1-69D3-4C26-8633-FDEE72029473.png (32.9 KB, 10 views)