The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 10, 2018, 09:50 PM   #1
Nathan

Scope for 100-600 yd rifle AR Precision Rifle

Looking for a ml-mil scope for my Precision AR.

What is your opinion of the SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope?
FFP, MIL-MIL, $700

Or??
Old June 11, 2018, 12:12 AM   #2
raimius

What are your goals?
Big targets or small?
Moving targets?
Known distance?

A mil/mil 3-15x sounds reasonable for a lot of uses, but we can't tell you for sure without more info.
Old June 11, 2018, 03:59 AM   #3
marine6680

For general purpose... That looks like a good option. I'm eyeing one down myself.

I have a couple of the SS scopes, a 10x and 12x... Both have very nice glass. I haven't seen anything with better glass under $1k... Around $1k you start seeing more features...

So the fixed power SS scopes are a great bargain. The 3-15x is getting close to the price range where I'm looking for extra features. It just depends on how much the features are worth to you.

Might be worth it to spend a few hundred more for good illumination and a good reticle, for similar glass quality and weight. (Not that the SWFA reticle is bad)
Old June 11, 2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Nathan

Looking to shoot mostly paper and some varmint maybe at unknown range, until laser rangefinder used....turn turrets....accuracy and shot to shot speeds are key.

Other options seem to be Vortex pst, Burris XTR II, Nikon VX1000 Black FFP....I’m mostly tempted by the Nikon and SS. Illumination means little to me.
Old June 11, 2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Handler62

Since you broughtup the Nikon X1000 I will chime in and say I love mine. Had it on a 223 at first and just moved it to my 6.5 creedmoor. I was able to get mine at wholesale so the price for adjustable turrets, illuminated redical, and a decent brand name was unbeatable. I like the simple redical, you can get it mil/mil or moa/moa. I also like the "off" position between each power setting forthe illumination. Now you can get FFP if you like that too.

Add far as longevity I can not speak to that. I only have about 200rds of 223 and a dozen creedmoor through mine so I'm just getting going. But if you like Nikon I'm sureyou will like the X1000 line.