The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 27, 2018, 02:04 PM   #26
Wyosmith

Wow...a round that out runs a 270 Weatherby magnum with 10" less barrel, runs up to 35% more pressure, and still has a 10,000 round bore life?

( one has to wonder if it also will not have any real amount of sharp recoil...?)

This I gotta see.....
Old May 28, 2018, 11:40 PM   #27
MTT TL

Pentagon Wars.

Many people don't realize it is a docudrama.
Old June 5, 2018, 10:15 AM   #28
stagpanther

I was talking-to an "industry insider" yesterday and he said he has heard that not only can these specs be met--they already have been met, and testing has already produced a self-propelled projectile that will "revolutionize" battlefield rifle cartridges. Could be vaporware too, but apparently patents have already been filed. Just grist for the rumor mill.
Old July 13, 2018, 03:40 PM   #29
Bartholomew Roberts

The Army has let five contracts for the prototype, including AAI and Textron. The firms are to submit a firearm, fire control system, and 2000 rounds of ammo within the next year.

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/...uto-rifle.html
Old July 13, 2018, 06:58 PM   #30
handlerer2

Does anyone remember the "Room Temperature Super Conductor"?

It was big in the news awhile back. A superconducting barrel would allow a muzzle velocity a good portion of the speed of light. With a bullet the size of a grain of rice you could vaporize an American carrier.

It was in the news and then just disappeared. Very suspicious. Sci-fi come real and it's all blacked out.

I want a Dosadi needle gun of my very own!!!
Old July 14, 2018, 11:59 PM   #31
bfoosh006

Wait... is this an April Fools joke ?
Old July 17, 2018, 02:20 PM   #32
Roamin_Wade

Why would it cost taxpayer dollars if we are asking private firms to come up with the design?
Old July 17, 2018, 02:32 PM   #33
Fishbed77

Quote:
Why would it cost taxpayer dollars if we are asking private firms to come up with the design?
I don't know of many private firms that work for free. They wouldn't stay in business very long.

Also, there is a whole cadre of career military officers who sit around generating (and cancelling) arms procurement programs while they build up nice pensions or secure connections for future high-paying private defense industry jobs.
Old July 17, 2018, 05:33 PM   #34
davidsog

Quote:
There is some serious misinformation being posted on how defense contracts work. The military puts out specs. The civilian companies decide if they can meet those specs. If they decide to do it then they must present a prototype. It is all no cost to government up until a design is adopted and a contract signed. Government contracts are very lucrative but the civilian companies must decide if they want to make the investment required to be competitive because there is generally no money from uncle sugar until the trials are complete and only the winner gets a contract.

On very very rare occasion in order to meet an outstanding dire need will money be given to a contractor to develop a concept. Think Manhattan Project or Space Program...
Old July 18, 2018, 10:14 AM   #35
Fishbed77

Quote:
It is all no cost to government up until a design is adopted and a contract signed.
This is not true in all cases.

Consider the recently aborted Sub Compact Weapons program that had the .gov sending out checks to various manufacturers for examples for testing and evaluation.

And doesn't even include the salaries of the above-mentioned procurement officers and their staff.
Old July 19, 2018, 08:35 AM   #36
davidsog

Quote:
This is not true in all cases.

Consider the recently aborted Sub Compact Weapons program that had the .gov sending out checks to various manufacturers for examples for testing and evaluation.

And doesn't even include the salaries of the above-mentioned procurement officers and their staff.
You are going to have to prove that one.

Here is the RFI:

Quote:
The US Army Contracting Command-New Jersey (ACC-NJ) on behalf of the Project Manager Soldier Weapons (PM SW), is issuing this Request for Information (RFI) to obtain information and feedback from industry regarding Sub Compact Weapons (SCW).
Quote:
No entitlement to payment of direct or indirect costs or charges by the Government will arise as a result of contractor submission of responses to this announcement or Government use of such information.
https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=oppo...tabmode=list&=

There is a process. Getting paid before a contract is solicited is not part of it.
Old July 19, 2018, 08:54 AM   #37
stagpanther

I just read that link--it looks like they are looking for a 9mm machine pistol. Just what the army needs--LOL
Old July 20, 2018, 08:50 AM   #38
Fishbed77

Quote:
You are going to have to prove that one.

Here is the RFI:
An RFI is very different from an RFQ or an RFP. An RFI is a request for information, which is just that.

Even then, the salaries of the officers who sit around generating RFIs that go nowhere are a waste of taxpayer money.
Old July 20, 2018, 09:17 PM   #39
davidsog

Quote:
An RFI is very different from an RFQ or an RFP. An RFI is a request for information, which is just that.
An RFP can be turned into a contract whereas it is illegal for the US Government to turn an RFQ into a contract. An RFP means you might get paid IF you win and are awarded the contract.

An RFQ means there is no money and no possibility of a contract until that RFQ becomes a RFP.

FACT....no money is exchanged until a contract is in place....none.

No Contract...No pay.

Quote:
Contracting by negotiations – This is a more complex and time-consuming process. In certain cases, when the value of a government contract exceeds $150,000 and when it necessitates a highly technical product or service, the government may issue an RFP. Typically, the government will request a product or service it needs and solicit proposals from prospective contractors on how they intend to carry out that request and at what price. Proposals in response to an RFP can be subject to negotiation after they have been submitted. If the government is merely checking into the possibility of buying, it may issue a Request for Quotation (RFQ). A response to an RFQ by a prospective contractor is not considered an offer, and consequently, cannot be accepted by the government to form a binding contract.
https://www.sba.gov/blogs/government...all-businesses
Old July 20, 2018, 10:22 PM   #40
Cirdan

Saw one hilarious "news" article about it. Said the foot soldier would have the power of an M1A2 tank - because the chamber pressure would be the same.
Old July 21, 2018, 07:03 AM   #41
davidsog

Quote:
Saw one hilarious "news" article about it. Said the foot soldier would have the power of an M1A2 tank - because the chamber pressure would be the same.