The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2009, 11:41 PM   #1
indigo-357

45 Colt Gold Dot + Tite Group

Hi,

Brewing up some 250g Gold Dots for the 45 Colt. Firing them out of a New Vaquero and looking for a good recommendation for a recipe with Titegroup.

I'm thinking I'll start at 6gr and work my way up to around 7.5 if I don't see any problems. That's still below the 21k levels listed with a 250g XTP w/ 8gr of Titegroup.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

are you going to use this gun for self defense

not that the Gold Dot is a bad bullet, in fact I like them alot... but they are on the "high end" side of price, & "so" not what you'd expect to see running out of a new Vaquero...

I have a pair of consecutive serialed Montados, & Have been trying to develope loads using Speer cast bullets for my guns, & at the same time working on loads using XTP's for hunting out of a 10" Contender...

the reason I'm suprised at you choice of bullets, was because I like the Gold Dot, but it had been hopelessly out of stock at the places I've been shopping for bullets...

as to your original question, those loads should be safe... weather you find that combination accurate or not... only one way to tell
Old September 9, 2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Sport45

That may be a little stiff for a new model Vaquero. I thought they were supposed to be kept at traditional pressure and not up into the "Ruger only" territory.

Hodgdon lists 6.3 gr as a maximum load with 250gr XTP and 260gr JHP.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Titegroup Data_45 COLT.pdf (19.7 KB, 57 views)
Old September 9, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
indigo-357

Gold Dots

Magnum Wheel Man,

I primarily carry autos but I've been known to have nothing but a single-action on me. I generally shoot cast bullets out of the SAs, but it'd be nice to have some available in a premium SD bullet. I have about 100 bullets that I bought long ago.

Sport 45,

Yea, it's over the "standard pressure" loads for 45 Colt, but below the 8gr of TiteGroup used in "ruger only" starting loads for this bullet weight running at 21K. It's generally accepted that the New Vaquero and similarly built revolvers are safe to run at up to 22K. It stands to reason that 7-7.5g of TiteGroup will run at less than 21K.

Like I said, I'll start low and work up. Looking to send it at around 850-900FPS.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:43 PM   #5
rn22723

Quote:
I have a pair of consecutive serialed Montados, & Have been trying to develope loads using Speer cast bullets for my guns, & at the same time working on loads using XTP's for hunting out of a 10" Contender...
Hey Magnum.................you need realize that SPEER DOES NOT SELL CAST BULLETS! They sell SOFT SWAGED LEAD BULLETS!
Old September 9, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Sport45

Do what you want, but Speer seems to think that 750fps at the muzzle is plenty for this bullet to perform. You can look at HS-6, Unique, and Universal to get to 850 fps without exceeding published loads.

.45Colt Details - Speer GDHP
Old September 10, 2009, 08:46 PM   #7
indigo-357

Error in data

In another thread someone called Speer about the velocity listed there, as its significantly lower than it used to be, and word from Speer is that it is an error. I believe, but can't be certain, that they told said poster it was 850.