The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
buffalo

Bullseye 200g LSWC

Wanted to get some opinions on good loads for .45acp using Bullseye,i haven't used Bullseye but i have 8lbs so i'm gonna use it. I'm using 200g LSWC bullets and winchester LPP. I'm just looking for a decent load,nothing overly hot. Thank's for your opinions.
Old September 5, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Sevens

I think the classic Bullseye target load is 3.6gr behind a 200gr H&G68 LSWC .45. Or maybe that's 3.8 grains. Not sure.

I've been using 4.4gr pushing that same bullet for a long time in my Longslide with an 18-pound Wilson spring and it works pretty well.
Old September 5, 2009, 02:53 PM   #3
buffalo

Seems most everyone i have talked to has said 3.6g up to 4.6g I think i'm gonna make up a few batches at loads in the 3.9g-4.2g range and see which one works best,cut down on having to keep driving back to the range just for a few trial shots.
Old September 5, 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
velocette

I used 3.8 gr of bullseye behind a 200 swc cast from a lee mold, sized to
.452" using wheelweights & 5% tin. Got excellent accuracy, no leading, mild recoil. You will need to trim your recoil spring, or buy a reduced power spring to assure reliability. You can also reduce your mainspring a couple of pounds if you use ONLY Federal primers.
The above was good enough to get me to Master classification.

YMMV
Roger
Old September 5, 2009, 09:40 PM   #5
aerod1

I use 3.9 gr. of Bullseye under a 200 gr. LSWC and all my 1911 firearms cycle them perfectly.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old September 6, 2009, 02:48 PM   #6
bignz

Just got back from the range. Shot 200gr. LSWC with 4.2 of Bullseye and an OAL 1.242. This was an extremely accurate load, showed no negative pressure signs, no FTF or FTE but had the same recoil as factory. I'm going to try 4.0 and see if accuracy and reliability are maintained with a little less recoil. Very happy with this round overall.

I want to use someone's chronograph and see if this load will achieve power factor for competition.
Old September 6, 2009, 06:16 PM   #7
schmeky

Bullseye was originally developed for the 45ACP back at the turn of the century. Even with all the modern powders available today, it's still pretty hard to beat.

I load 3.8 gns with a 200 LSWC and the accuracy is outstanding. My Les Baer will do 1.0" @ 25 yards all day with this load, as long as I do my part.

Some may disagree, but I think today's Bullseye burns a little cleaner than it did 20 years ago.
Old September 6, 2009, 09:39 PM   #8
bignz

Schmeky -
Do you have a velocity on that load? I really like how accurate it is but I'm worried that using it in IDPA would be dishonest.
Old September 6, 2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

4.2 grains is what the commercial jacketed 185 grain SWC's once used, and they will operate a full size 1911 with the standard 16# recoil spring. Anything below that charge and bullet weight and hardness combination may be a candidate for reduced springs. 5 grains of Bullseye under 230 grain hardball was one of the military's original loads. It is not a high pressure or +P load, so you can safely use it with 200 grain cast bullets with no problem. I have found that for practice with guns meant to shoot defensive loads, like hardball, loading a 200 grain LSWC with about 4.5 grains has always been reliable in both full size and Commander length guns, despite the latter's stiffer spring. I have used 4.8 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain LSWC in a full-length gun with a 20 lb spring and a square firing pin stop with no problems.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 7, 2009, 04:50 AM   #10
darkgael

Classic

My standard target load is 4.0 grains of Bullseye behind a 200 gr. LSWC. I changed the recoil spring from 16# to 14#. This has proven to be an ultra-reliable combo.
A high Master shooter told me, years ago when I started match shooting outdoors, that the bullet needed to be going 750 fps in order to be stable at the 50 yard targets. The 4.0 load gives about 790fps.
Pete
Old September 7, 2009, 07:15 PM   #11
Crankylove

My favorite .45 ACP load is 5.5 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain cast semi-wadcutter.