The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 16, 2021, 11:35 AM   #1
ligonierbill

#4 Buck

Got my backordered Hornady #4 (0.24") buckshot, and I don't remember exactly why I ordered it. OK, here's where I can use it: LeMat revolver (3/4 oz = 16 pellets), 20 ga. smoothbore muzzleloader, or 16, 12, or 10 gauge brass shotshells. Anyone actually using this shot for a practical purpose? I'd say large varmints with the 10 ga, but I need to check the hunting regulations for allowable shot size.
Old August 16, 2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Seedy Character

I bought a bag of #4 buck, 30 years ago.

Load coyote loads with it. Mostly shot at night, when the yotes try to sneak into the chicken coop. At 25 yards and less, it makes a permanent impression on them.

Probably 15+ pounds still in the bag.
Old August 16, 2021, 03:57 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill View Post
Got my backordered Hornady #4 (0.24") buckshot, and I don't remember exactly why I ordered it. OK, here's where I can use it: LeMat revolver (3/4 oz = 16 pellets), 20 ga. smoothbore muzzleloader, or 16, 12, or 10 gauge brass shot shells. Anyone actually using this shot for a practical purpose? I'd say large varmints with the 10 ga, but I need to check the hunting regulations for allowable shot size.
I used factory 12 gauge 3" #4 Buckshot (41 pellets) to take at least six deer... likely more. It worked extremely well on Michigan deer. The only reason I stopped using it was because I considered myself a rifleman and pistol shooter and wanted more deer hunting experiences with rifles and pistols.

Back during my love affair with #4 Buckshot, as I remember, I used factory Buckshot loads because I found no published loads for handloaded #4 Buck that resulted in the max 41 pellets in a 12 gauge, three-inch shell.

Last edited by dahermit; August 16, 2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old August 16, 2021, 11:12 PM   #4
Hellgate

#4 buck is the best size for coyotes in the 2 3/4 and 3" shells. I cast and load my own #4 buck loads. For self defense the FBI determined that you need at least 10" penetration to be effective as a man stopper (I would assume the same is true for deer). The FBI determined that #1 buck was the smallest effective man stopper.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 17, 2021, 02:03 PM   #5
bamaranger

dang FBI

Not really BP related response,............. but there was a point in time where a lot of federal LE agencies, and I suspect state and local agencies following the federal lead, switched from the old standby OO buck, to #4B, and it wouldn't surprise me that the FBI "determined" same in that era. I've got a vintage article from the 'Nam era that appeared in the "Rifleman" where #4B was suggested for military use due to the higher hit probability. The #4B load was the standard buckshot load for the NPS at the front of my career in the early to mid 80's, and a lot of it was shot at the Federal Academy (FLETC) by outfits like the Border Patrol, Bureau of Prisons, and so forth.

When they got around to shooting felons with #4B, the results were not so hot. I clearly recall an officer survival lecture from a Border Patrol agent who dusted an assailant with a least two loads of #4Bh and the guy escaped back into Mexico, who knows if he survived or not, the agent took a couple of M1 carbine rounds and did survive. When the NPS finally shot a felon with #4B , the suspect went down but was still animated, later to expire in the ER. By the early '90's, most agencies of my acquaintance were back to OO buck.

I knew deer dog hunters who shot #4B, the accepted target was to sieve the deer's head and neck. I've skinned one whitetail that had a number of #4 buck buried up in the muscles and against the shoulder blade and ribs. I still have a box or two of #4B, and have experimented with it as a coyote load through my 870 and assorted choke tubes and have never been impressed out past 30 yds or so.
Old August 22, 2021, 05:41 PM   #6
thallub

i use #4 buckshot for killing little pigs under feeders from 30-40 yards distance. Have killed as many as nine with one shot from a 12 gauge.
Old August 23, 2021, 11:42 AM   #7
rodwhaincamo

That sure is expedient!!
Old September 16, 2021, 05:12 PM   #8
gwpercle

The 12 ga. pump shotgun that stands guard next to my night stand is loaded with #4 Buck as is the butt cuff shell holder . 20" Cylinder choke barrel & #4 Buck at across the bedroom or down the hall distances patterns well ... a cluster of #4 Buck placed anywhere from groin to eyeballs should deter any evil doer .
I put my trust in #4 Buck !
Gary