The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 23, 2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Woodbuzzer

Frank Wesson buttstock

I am in need of a butt stock for my Frank Wesson single shot rifle.
It has the military issue buttplate.
Anyone have any information who might be making these?
Brian
Old July 24, 2021, 08:02 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sounds like it needs to be made for you.
Old July 24, 2021, 10:33 AM   #3
Pahoo

Not easy but can be done !!!

Quote:
Sounds like it needs to be made for you.
That would be my thought as well. Do you have any of the old stock available. I ask because there are duplicators that would make one for you but the search and cost might be challenging. I know a number of craftsmen that do this kind of work. Might want to contact Dixie and see what they have but doubt that yo will pull one, one off the shelf. Might help if yo could post some pictures of what you have. Please keep us posted. ......

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 24, 2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Pahoo

J.M.H.O.

Just did a cursory internet search and that style of stock, is very common and makes it easier to replicate or modify. I have seen blank stocks that I feel, could easily be modified and worth the effort. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 25, 2021, 06:54 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Check with Pecatonica River and see if they have anything close that could be used to duplicate an original. If you have the original for measurements/pattern - a good woodworker or stocktaker should be able to do it. I had a Frank Wesson 44 Henry Rimfire carbine years ago and the buttstock is pretty straightforward as far as duplicating - much like a Stevens Favorite and other models - not the same dimensions but rather as far as fitting to receiver, etc. Not anywhere near as much work as building as starting with a blank to build a half-stock or full=stock rifle. All of the Frank Wesson carbines and rifles I have had an opportunity to examine over the years were stocked in straight grained black walnut.

Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 26, 2021, 06:44 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you've got a couple of weeks, you can take a Summer NRA class and make your own. Do you even have the old stock?

If you're familar with handtools (chisels, #49 Nicholosn file), it's not that hard. Length of pull, cast-on/cast-off is important (to fit the user) and drop of comb (depending on sight).
Old July 26, 2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Treeebone used to be a good source.
http://www.treebonecarving.com