The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 2, 2022, 06:16 PM   #1
a1parrothead

New to Black powder Help with Loads and Such

Hello all,
So my daughter bought me a Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer for Christmas. I really like it and have always thought of jumping into this area as I like new hobbies. But, do not know much about it. I am an avid shooter and reloader, but have never tried black powder.

I need some advice on loads etc for this and even proper supplies.

Pedersoli's load recommendation is: .451" round ball with .010" patch, 9 grs. of FFFFg

-I have some Pyrodex, which says it is the equivalent of FFG. Can I use this somehow?
- I am assuming I just need some .451 lead balls
-And I see oiled .010 patches and assume I just need to buy the ones in the .40-.49 size Range?
-And caps, what should I buy?
- Any recommendations on a website where I can get balls, powder, patches and caps? I cannot seem to find it all in 1 place and shipping adds up!
Lastly, Any other load suggestions?
Old January 2, 2022, 08:28 PM   #2
Schlitz 45

There are are a few black powder sites. I like Track of The Wolf
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/
The big sites like Midway USA, Midsouth, Natchez Supplies, also carry muzzleloader supplies.
Pretty sure the Pyrodex R will go bang but won’t have the velocity you’d get using a finer powder like Pyrodex P, or Triple 7 3F.
Have fun
Old January 3, 2022, 01:38 AM   #3
Hawg

Most .45 caliber front stuffers use a .440 ball. I use pillow ticking from Walmart for patch material. Your Pyrodex will work but measure by volume not weight. I'd probably bump the charge up to 12 grains or so. It's an extremely close range weapon so don't shoot it at anything hard like plywood or it will likely come back at you. Cleanup is with hot soapy water. Modern gun cleaners wont touch bp fouling.
Old January 3, 2022, 10:08 AM   #4
a1parrothead

Thanks for the replies. So, probably do NOT use a .451 ball? Seems like its way big....although that's what the instructions say...
Old January 4, 2022, 02:55 AM   #5
Hawg

Pedersoli should know. I would measure the bore just to be sure tho.