The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 3, 2021, 11:37 AM   #1
Pahoo

Is there a proper term Quick-Draw single action-shooting

Since I was a kid, I have mostly been drawn to Single-Action shooting. My big game hunting has always involved Single Action handguns. I got my first SA handgun at age-16. Practiced quickdraw and "Fanning". That leads to my question;

Is there a term in quick-draw where the hammer is down, trigger is pulled and held and hammer released with the thumb? This is what I feel happened in the Baldwin incident.

"You know, "The Thing ??!!!

Be Safe !!!
Old December 3, 2021, 06:51 PM   #2
noelf2

If there isn't a term for that already, it could be called the "sear broke" technique", or maybe Alec'ing.
Old December 3, 2021, 08:26 PM   #3
Scorch

Louis L'Amour used to call it something like "thumb slip" or "slip thumb".
Old December 3, 2021, 09:11 PM   #4
AzShooter

World Fast Draw Society puts on quick draw matches. Check your area LGS for a possible match.

It seems to be growing rapidly. Holsters are made by Ernie Hill Speed.com and he can probably direct you to a match. He holds the world record.
Old December 3, 2021, 09:17 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Quote:
Is there a term in quick-draw where the hammer is down, trigger is pulled and held and hammer released with the thumb? This is what I feel happened in the Baldwin incident.
The term is slipshooting and it is well known in history. Museum guns with the trigger tied back or taken out, hammer spurs modified to reach easier with the thumb.

Best read the rules of any fast draw or quick draw organization, it might not be allowed. (Fast Draw and Quick Draw did not used to be the same thing. Blanks vs bullets. I think just wax bullets now.)

And that is just the Baldwin Legend TODAY. He will have new lies tomorrow or at latest by Monday.
Old December 4, 2021, 03:32 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Slip hammer, slip shooting, slip guns, are all terms used for this. Elmer Keith had a couple of guns converted for this, he called them slip guns. You can see them in his book SIXGUNS, I believe, I know I have seen pictures of them either in that book or in his articles in Guns & Ammo magazine. Been ages, I no longer remember which, could be both...

The trigger was tied or taped back and the guns had the hammers replaced with an altered design which put the hammer spur much lower, about the middle of the hammer, not at the top.

Guns modified that way were an old time "speed trick" that has long since fallen out of favor. Not particularly safe, either.

You can do it with an unmodified SA just by holding the trigger back when cocking holding the hammer with your thumb and then letting it "slip" when you want to fire. Like "fanning" unless the gun has been modified, continuous use of those techniques is bad for the mechanism and can result in damage.
or so I've heard....