The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 18, 2021, 07:27 PM   #1
samsmix

Blackhorn 209 and musket caps

So...I have this friend who...ahem...can only use black powder guns...lol

Anyhow, we hunt and hike together a lot, and his field pistol is a Uberti 2nd model dragon. I've been in touch with Kaido Ojamaa and made all the mods for him, but now we are trying to wring the last bit of performance out of her. (Yes yes, get a Ruger Old Army... but that's not what this thread is about. I've told him that though)

Musket Caps will fit, and after turning the nipple bases down and shortening the nipples, the cylinder will turn, SO....

Has anyone tried Blackhorn with a Mustet Cap? Any thoughts on BH 209 with a small priming charge, say 5gr of 4fg?

This is his "bear pistol" to use if the spray fails. We are looking for all we can wring out of it!

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old November 18, 2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Hawg

I would think using musket nipples would blow the hammer back to half cock or further. BH 209 is a lot harder to ignite than any other sub. I kinda doubt a musket cap will do it. A small priming charge would work but would be a PITA to reload in the field.
Old November 19, 2021, 07:54 PM   #3
Hellgate

Why not just use 3F 777?
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 20, 2021, 04:14 PM   #4
samsmix

Hawg, so far no hammer pushback with 50gr Pyrodex P.

Hellgate, since posting this I came to the realization that Blackhorn is meant for rifles, and may provide worse velocities than 3f 777. I think you have the right idea.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?