The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2018, 07:52 PM   #1
CedarGrove357

Franchi 48AL Saddle mount

Im working on an old Franchi 48AL 20 gauge. Need to put a saddle mount and red dot on it. Closest fit I could find is for an 1100/1187. The front pin works fine, but the rear pin is larger, therefore I need to fill and redrill the mount. I've thought about using plastic Steel or acraglass, but I am not sure if it will take the shock of firing in this situation. What would be a reliable option in this case? I cannot find a saddle mount that properly fits this application.

Thanks.

https://flic.kr/p/23RcShH

https://flic.kr/p/Fy6Co4

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old March 16, 2018, 01:06 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

What you need to do is D&T for a bigger screw. Acraglas and Devcon Plastic Steel are just epoxy with a fibreglass or powdered steel filler.
Old March 16, 2018, 03:30 PM   #3
CedarGrove357

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
What you need to do is D&T for a bigger screw. Acraglas and Devcon Plastic Steel are just epoxy with a fibreglass or powdered steel filler.
Problem is the receiver is too small for the rear screw. This shotgun has pins of the same aize whereas the 1100 has a larger rear pin. Id rather mod the saddle mount than the receiver if possible. Not arguing, can certainly drill the receiver, but im of the notion to be able to set the gun back to factory than perm modify it. Id also like to exhaust all other possibilities before doing a mod that may affect the value. Make sense?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old March 17, 2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Clemson

A good TIG welder can weld up the holes in the side saddle so that you can redrill the proper sized hole for your pins. This is not work for the average back yard MIG man. The steel is thin, so the welder needs to know what he is doing.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old March 17, 2018, 05:13 PM   #5
CedarGrove357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
A good TIG welder can weld up the holes in the side saddle so that you can redrill the proper sized hole for your pins. This is not work for the average back yard MIG man. The steel is thin, so the welder needs to know what he is doing.
I got just the man. Clemson. Love the handle. Was born there. Thanks for stating the obvious. I dont know why that didnt occur to me. Guess i was over thinking again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk