The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 15, 2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Kimio

Suggestions for quality brass 7.62x39 ammo?

Got a buddy of mine who just picked up an Arsenal AK and was wondering what to feed it. Seeing as the only experience I have with AK type rifles is shooting with steel, I know pretty much nothing about what is good out there.

Anyone have some suggestions for some good brands to look out for? This rifle is predominantly going to be used as a plinker, so nothing too crazy is really necessary at this time. My friend does wish to reload the brass though, so there is that.
Old March 15, 2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Zen Archery

Quality brass in an AK? Why?
Did you try steel case?
Old March 15, 2018, 07:48 PM   #3
Kimio

@Zen Archery

I mentioned in my post that my friend wants to reload, which is why he was looking for brass.

I personally do not own an AK, and am not familiar with what works and what doesnt.
Old March 15, 2018, 11:05 PM   #4
Bamashooter

Any factory American Eagle, Privi Partisan, or Winchester will give you quality once fired brass for reloading after you shoot them. Also S&B and Fiocchi is good brass cased ammo and I have used their brass but the others are better in my opinion.
Old March 15, 2018, 11:19 PM   #5
taylorce1

Lapua makes 7.62X39 brass. Many people consider Lapua to be the best brass available for any rifle. I don't think I'd invest in it for shooting an AK, it's too expensive to be chasing around the range. Your buddy will definitely want a good way to catch his brass if shooting Lapua.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:21 AM   #6
doofus47

I've shot some double tap brass hunting ammo from my AR in 7.62x39.
It fed fine, when bang, hit pretty much point of aim and extracted as expected.

It's pretty pricey, so I didn't shoot a lot.
ymmv.
Old March 16, 2018, 11:57 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

Lapua makes over priced brass. It's no better than any other brand. It's over priced because of where it comes from, not because it's any better.
Like Bamashooter says, any factory brass will do. Just tell your buddy an AK is not a target rifle and not to get worked up looking for great accuracy. And use the right bullet. 7.62 x 39 uses a .311" bullet.
Midway is listing Prvi brass at $19.99 per 50. Lapua is more than twice that at $74.99 per 100.
Old March 17, 2018, 04:46 AM   #8
armoredman

Be aware that Remington 7.62x39mm brass uses small rifle primers and most of the others use large rifle primers.
Old March 17, 2018, 06:50 AM   #9
Mobuck

PPU or Fiocchi would be my choices.
Old March 17, 2018, 04:27 PM   #10
the possum

Quote:
Midway is listing Prvi brass at $19.99 per 50.
Ouch. You can find loaded Fiocchi ammo in (reloadable) brass cases for about the same price. May as well get the first firing free.

I got some GECO brass cased ammo for $.33 per round last year, and have been reloading the brass. I couldn't find empty once-fired unconditioned brass for that price at the time. Keep an eye out.

Other options for brass:
https://ammoseek.com/reloading/brass/7.62x39mm
Old March 18, 2018, 03:19 AM   #11
armoredman

I have Winchester brass I bought loaded, and have fired so many times that the rim is almost completely ejector marks. Loading cast keeps pressures down and they last a long time. The SB tends to hive tight primer pockets, same as Fiocchi, to the point that I almost threw out my Fiocchi brass, except getting new brass is a HUGE pain in the rear. I used to just pick up a bag of 50 over at Sportsman's Warehouse when I rolled through, and now have plenty to play with.
Old March 26, 2018, 08:25 AM   #12
kraigwy

I dont shoot 7.62X39, and I refuse to shoot any steel case ammo in any of my guns.

But, When I got my Mosin, I picked the one with the best barrel I could find. My intention was to use it in the CMP GSM Matches so I wanted something to shoot. At the same time I bought dies for reloading.

Problem is, I couldn't find any brass except for Norma. Norma is quite pricy. I found out I could buy loaded Winchester Ammo (7.62X54R) cheaper then I could by the Norma brass.

I'm a fan of Winchester Brass, (use it in 308 and 223 high power loads). I bought 200 rounds of the loaded Winchester Ammo, shot it, and reloaded it several times. Just reciently I bought another 200 rounds of the Loaded stuff which will be reloaded.

Again I dont shoot 7.62X39 ammo but just checked. Midway has Winchester Loaded Ammo in that caliber.

If I was to have a rifle that shot that stuff, that would be my route, same as for the Mosin ammo.

I have been thinking of getting a RAP in 7.62X39, if i do, I will only shoot quality ammo, and from my expierence it would be someing loaded in Winchester Brass.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 27, 2018, 12:23 AM   #13
bamaranger

Lapua brass

Lapua brass is special. Not just expensive or imported. For one thing, the flash holes are drilled, not punched. That lends to very consistent ignition, which lends to increased accuracy in a rifle that can deliver it.

Case weights are very consistent too. In sorting brass for precision reloads, Lapua consistently had the least variance in .308 cases I used when shooting F-T/R. Consistent case weight usually means uniform capacity, which lends to accuracy in rifles that can deliver same.

I've had guys tell me that Lapua brass lasts longer, but cannot vouch for that personally. I've had one world class shot tell me he simply sizes and loads new Lapua and does not bother to sort by weight or uniform flash holes and primer pockets. The stuff is that consistent.

Lapua IS expensive. You can by much more Winchester brass with your dollar. And I've had good experience with the quality of Win brass as others have noted.

NONE of this matters with an AK, heck, I'd just shoot steel and forget it.

Overpriced, yeah, ....but its the best.
Old March 27, 2018, 07:21 AM   #14
Mobuck

LAPUA brass in an AK?? that's blasphemy.
Old March 28, 2018, 11:25 AM   #15
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
+1 and +1. Fiocchi is great stuff, about $10 per 20 at my LGS. If you layer some electrical tape over the dust cover slot you won't get the AK "brass ding".
Old March 28, 2018, 12:42 PM   #16
RC20

Quote:
I have PPU in 3 calibers. I have found it to be good brass. On my own ranking scale, I put RP, LAPUA and PPU in the same class (Norma is special and by itself). All 3 weigh about the same (and that is the upper end of brass weights in each caliber) *

I know RP is not a go to Bench rest brass, but I have found it to be very good and no end to reloads (I don't load hot normally and I do anneal and minimum bump back)

PPU performs right up there with my LAPUA and RP.

*FC is the heaviest of all brass and that includes the military I have weighted, its also the softest and is only reloaded 6 x for use in my other lower use 30-06 (military) rifles, no matter what it does not stand up.
Old March 29, 2018, 03:24 AM   #17
Ledslnger

Special as in derpy? No way Norma is better than Lapua. More expensive sometimes, but better...not ime.