The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2018, 12:41 PM   #1
Mattj4867

Smith and Wesson model 36-1

Hi all. Visited a LGS and found a good looking smith and Wesson model 36-1. The tag said the gun was from the 70’s but it doesn’t have a pinned barrel and recessed cylinders. What would be aondition is about 85%. Thank you

Last edited by Mattj4867; March 8, 2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old March 7, 2018, 12:51 PM   #2
lamarw

What is barrel length? What price do they have it listed for? What stocks are on the revolver? Does it come with box and any paperwork/tools? Is the gun in good working order, did you check it out mechanically? How did you base the 85% rating? Is there any rust or significant bluing loss or dents in the gun or stocks?

You may want to compare it to recently sold revolvers with good pictures on GunBroker to compare their sell price.

Last edited by lamarw; March 7, 2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old March 7, 2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Master Blaster

Where do you live? Location can determine price sometimes. Rural area Midwest $350, east coast urban area $450 in excellent condition. Model 36 is a .38 special, it never had a recessed cylinder. Only magnums had that. My 36 no dash has the pin. There is no pinned barrel after 1982 iirc.

Last edited by Master Blaster; March 7, 2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old March 7, 2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Mattj4867

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
What is barrel length? What price do they have it listed for? What stocks are on the revolver? Does it come with box and any paperwork/tools? Is the gun in good working order, did you check it out mechanically? How did you base the 85% rating? Is there any rust or significant bluing loss or dents in the gun or stocks?

You may want to compare it to recently sold revolvers with good pictures on GunBroker to compare their sell price.
The barrel length is 3 inches. Listed 499. Factory grips. Doesn’t come with box or paper. Come with old bianchi holster. It is very tight trigger doesn’t “push off”. Slight play on the cylinder from sided to side. Forward to back is tight. Mechanically sound One small spec of rust on the top area of revolver. Small dent on the grips.

Here are pics
https://imgur.com/a/m5iRu
Old March 7, 2018, 01:48 PM   #5
David R

36-1 only came in 3" with a fatter barrel than a regular 3" model 36.
Most model 36 are 1 7/8".

Price seems a little high.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old March 7, 2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Master Blaster

3" barrel and nickel plated, if the nickel is factory and it appears to be $499 Is a good price. Offer $400 cash. Is the cylinder star blued? If so that would indicate it's original, check under the grips for an R which would indicate a factory refinish. I believe just an N on the frame would mean original nickle.
Old March 7, 2018, 03:03 PM   #7
lamarw

4th Ed of Supica and Nahas pulication "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" value guide indicates $450.00 for Very Good and $300.00 for Good. It looks to be Factory Nickel and may have an N under the barrel you can see when the crane is open. There is probaly an N stamped under the stocks on the frame. (Don't know if this was true with the Model 36 or not but it was with the Model 10.) The book does not show a premium for the Nickel finish, but some owners will consider 15% added as reasonable for a Factory Nickel. Kind of depends on preferences. Might not be good if the rust spot is under the nickel plating.

Looks pretty good to me in the pictures. If I wanted it, I would offer $400.00 and see where that got me in the negotiations.

Good Luck with it and let us know how it works out for you. Hopefully a little Mother's Billet Polish will remove the spot of rust unless it has gotten under the nickel plating. Sometimes a damp cloth and a steam iron will help with a dent in the stock.
Old March 7, 2018, 06:43 PM   #8
Real Gun

My 36-1, nickel plated with pinned barrel and in 95% condition in my estimation was just over $600.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20180225_001_25%.jpg (87.8 KB, 54 views)
Old March 7, 2018, 06:55 PM   #9
old bear

The model 36's and assorted Variants never had a recessed cylinder, but all of them should have the pined barrel. From your description a price of almost $500.00 sounds high. The last model 36 I purchased is in 95+% condition. It came with the original box, cleaning kit, and factory paperwork. I paid $400.00 for it. Ya, I did get somewhat of a deal. If I were you I’d keep looking for a better deal.
Old March 7, 2018, 08:25 PM   #10
bn12gg

Mechanical description re trigger and cylinder play -- I'd walk. Price eh who cares.

David.
Old March 8, 2018, 07:50 AM   #11
Eddietruett

Around here a 36 Nickel in vg Condition with correct grips will bring $500+ with 1 7/8” Barrel. 3” should be worth a little more due to being a little rare but most people seem to want the shorter barrel. I love the 3” guns. I would have tried to negotiate the price but for $500 it would probably follow me home
Old March 8, 2018, 09:17 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

I just sold a 36-9 (1999-2000 production) for $390, and I likely could have gotten a lot more.

For a 3" nickle, yeah, $499 is a good price in today's market.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 8, 2018, 11:51 AM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattj4867
The tag said the gun was from the 70’s but it doesn’t have a pinned and recessed barrel.
IIRC there is some irregularity with J frames regarding the pinned barrel; some late 70s production runs lack it. That said, the best way to ID a pre-1983 .38 Special J frame is the serial number, which should consist mostly of numbers with the letter "J" in it somewhere. In mid-1983, S&W switched over to the current 3-letter 4-number serializing system. More specifics in this TFL post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Blaster
I believe just an N on the frame would mean original nickle.
The "N" should be on the rear cylinder face. It it normally very faint and shallow, which is helpful because a non-factory refinish will almost always wipe it out. That said, I believe that this revolver has original finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattj4867
Mechanical description re trigger and cylinder play -- I'd walk.
IMHO there is nothing wrong with the OP's description of the trigger and cylinder play. Assuming that the cylinder locks up properly, a little side-to-side cylinder play is normal on a modern S&W, and should have no measurable effect on accuracy or function. The red flag is endshake, but the OP says that it's tight, so that's fine.

FWIW I think this revolver has been fired relatively little because heavy use tends to darken the nickel around the yoke and the front of the cylinder, and this discoloration is difficult to remove without leaving any signs.

IMHO $499 is a fair price, albeit not in the "RUN don't walk back to the store!" category.
Old March 9, 2018, 03:08 AM   #14
In The Ten Ring

I have rather small hands, I think a J-frame grip would be able "right" for me.

If you get this weapon, will you collect it or carry it?
Old March 9, 2018, 12:00 PM   #15
aarondhgraham

I recently bought one that's it's twin,,,

I recently bought one that's it's twin,,,
I paid $400.00 for it from a private seller.

You are gonna love that gun,,,
3" model 36's are great little shooters.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 10, 2018, 01:34 PM   #16
Mattj4867

Hi all. Got the model 36 for $475 out the door. Shoots great. Thank you everyone for the suggestions
Old March 10, 2018, 09:32 PM   #17
ThomasT

You will really like that gun. I have a 3" model 36-6 with adjustable sights and a matt blued finish similar to the finish on my model 28. I think its an excellent field and trail gun with the adjustable sights.

My favorite gun writer wrote an article many years ago about a 3" model 36 he had open sights added to. He dubbed it the "Trail Masterpiece". Thats as good a name as any.
Old March 11, 2018, 10:16 PM   #18
redlevel42

You done good.
Model 36 or 37 with 3” barrel is an excellent carry piece.
I sold my 36-1 a few years back when I found something I had to have.
Still carry my Model 37-1 three inch regularly. It is so much easier to shoot
the three inch gun accurately than it is the two incher. Still able to pocket
carry with the three inch barrel.
Old March 12, 2018, 06:44 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

My first Model 36 was a 3" square butt with a nickle finish. I eventually sold it to a friend's father who wanted it for his saltwater sailboat. I also couldn't find a set of J frame rubber grips for a square butt.

A few years ago I tracked down a round butt 3". It's now my nightstand gun. With rubber grips.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.