The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 25, 2018, 01:58 PM   #1
axis223

shooting rest help.

Hello guys.

I am very torn between a baldeagle and Caldwell rock front rest. I will mainly use it for punching paper, load development, etc and I'm interested in shooting an amateur 300yard matches monthly with a 223 varmint rifle. The bald eagle has windage and other adjustment but I'm not sure I need that? The rock doesn't offer the extra adjustments and is considerably cheaper at $65 and the bald eagle is $140 without a bag.
Old February 25, 2018, 10:25 PM   #2
Txhillbilly

If you can afford the Bald Eagle rest buy it. It's a lot nicer than the Caldwell.
Old February 28, 2018, 03:34 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Amateur 300 yard matches probably will not allow that type of rest. Best you look into that first.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:30 PM   #4
webphut74

I have a hart rest and I only use windage adj when doing fine tuning of reticle placement. If you have a rear bag with rabbit ears, you should only need to adj for windage if you change your body position in relation to the rifle. Ideally the rifle should slide back from recoil, you slide the rifle back up to the stop on the front rest. If you are not back at same windage, then rifle is not parallel/square to rifle rests. You have a bind in the line of recoil. It takes practice to figure out. Get Tony Boyer’s book and another shooters book that has the last name of Ratigan. They discuss this in depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old March 1, 2018, 11:43 AM   #5
Don Fischer

I use a good sand bag on a 12" piece of 6x6. Works very well!Poor people have poor ways!
Old March 2, 2018, 12:17 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Settle your rifle into this bag (below.) You'll quickly notice your unable to move it unlike everything else on the store shelves. I immediately gave my Tack Driver Caldwell away after firing my first 5 rds having this bag encompassing my rifle. Totally rock solid steady!!

http://www.dog-gone-good.com/DSCN0150600.jpg
Old March 3, 2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Picher

A Bald Eagle is heavier and more stable. If you shoot matches, it can help get a few extra points. If it's just for load development, either will suffice.
Old March 5, 2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Erno86

If you prefer a pedestal rest...get one that weighs at least 12 pounds.

--- George Orwell