The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 14, 2018, 01:48 PM   #26
Master Blaster

The redhawk triggers can vary considerably from older to newer models, and from reading threads here from one gun to the next even. I bought a new one in 2009 that had a horrible trigger extremely heavy (17 lbs DA and 8 lbs SA). after some spring replacement and some internal polishing it was still awful. I could never get the DA or SA pull weights down much without reliability issues, so I sold it. A year ago I came across a used one made in 1988, didn't look to have been fired much and had a nice set of aftermarket wood grips. $450 OTD. I tried the trigger and was surprised at how nice it was and that the pull weight SA and DA was 1/3 of the 2009 model I bought new and sold. SO for $450 I bought it and it has been great with my lead reloads and with some full power reloads. The trigger on this old gun was as nice as any of my Smith revolvers. So my advice is try the trigger before you buy it and look for an older 1980's model.
Old May 14, 2018, 02:07 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

I saw a new production GP100 that was advertised as "blued" in a gun shop yesterday. I don't think the finish was what most of use would consider blueing. Matte black in color and looked more like black oxide on a drill bit. Traditional firearms bluing is a type of black oxide. If you order one just make sure it is the finish you are expecting.